Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cheese

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Cheese
      #23228 - 03/01/05 09:27 AM

I love cheeses and trying new ones out. Cheese seems to go with any food and I bought something different recently to have with water crackers and giant Chinook salmon I caught in July.

It is called Gournay Cheese. The brand I bought is Boursin, www.boursincheese.com and has garlic and other herbs in it. Pretty tasty stuff! Give it a try if you have never had it.

What are your favorites? Time for me to try some new ones.

BTW- I pan fried the salmon in butter with garlic and mesquite seasoning and it was wonderful.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Cheese [Re: AspenHill]
      #23258 - 03/01/05 02:57 PM

I am a cheese fanatic and have some with almost every meal. Great for the teeth too.

Mountain Gorgonzola is a favourite of mine.

Matured cheddar, of course.

Most blue cheeses

Kangaroo Island Manchego and Haloumi.

An exract from a website from KI:
Probably the most sought after of these is Haloumi. Made in the traditional way, with dried mint pressed into the centre of each block of folded cheese, this is a taste you will never forget!

Haloumi makes a wonderful entree - browned lightly on both sides and served hot, with a squeeze of lemon juice...it is featured on many of the island's restaurant and cafe menus.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Cheese [Re: NitroX]
      #23306 - 03/01/05 11:34 PM

In reply to:

Kangaroo Island Manchego and Haloumi.

Interesting, John, I will look around and see if such cheese is imported to the US.

My staple is of course extra sharp cheddar. Mmmm. BTW- I did not know cheese was good for your teeth.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #23334 - 04/01/05 02:26 AM

I love cheese. Especially roqueforts (Papillon is a favorite), although my wife isn't quite as fond of the smell it creates in our fridge as I am...

Todays shopping included some Gorgonzola and some Brie for the next few days consumption.

Life without cheese would be pretty boring.

Erik

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #23800 - 09/01/05 06:45 PM

I like my cheeses strong like blues, old cheddar, etc but I do like brie as well. I found some Italian cheese called Montassio Straveccio (sp?) which is great to nibble on with a glass of wine.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
Re: Cheese [Re: AdamTayler]
      #24828 - 22/01/05 08:46 AM

Smoked cheese is one of my favourites.I cant help it cheese is in my blood.I think its hereditary(IM A FINN).There is nothing better than a bit of hot lenky makara (FIN SAUSAGE) with some jahlsberg cheese on a finn crisp.

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

Metswedi
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/05
Loc: Yorks. England
Re: Cheese [Re: wharf]
      #25194 - 26/01/05 09:55 AM

A ripe English Stilton with a good bottle of Taylor's or Graham's Port. Ecstasy, just lie back and listen to your arteries harden!

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #25492 - 01/02/05 03:33 AM

Austria has some AMAZING cheese. Having spent a lot of time there with my wife (who is Austrian), most of the farmers have little side businesses to make extra money. In Styria (the "state" my wife is from) they make a lot of goat's milk cheese.

One day, while driving around, my wife spotted a sign on the side of the road that announced that the farmer was selling his own cheese.

We drove down a dirt road to the little farm and guy who reminded me of Grizzly Adams came out to greet us. We followed him into his store where he let us sample his cheese. My wife and I both like powerful, rich cheeses and this one missed the mark. We asked if he had something stronger. His eyes lit up and he brought out a beautiful aged wheel of some time of goat's cheese. We tried it and it was one of the best cheeses we ever had. He said the didn't bring it out often because most people found it too strong. We bought the whole wheel (about seven pounds) for about 30 Euros. What a bargin! And what great cheese!

The worst cheese I ever had was in Transylvania, north of Brasov, Romania. They have this cheese that they package in tree bark, which imparts a "unique" flavor. Unique is right! Two words: Never again.

Domestically (in the USA) I love blue cheeses and Maytag Blue Cheese is my favorite. (Yes, it is the same company that make the applicances.) GREAT stuff!

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #30765 - 09/05/05 02:22 AM

I tried another nice white cheese called PIAVE, a nice medium that isn't soft.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Cheese [Re: AdamTayler]
      #31281 - 17/05/05 03:49 AM

Time for me to try something new as well. Will look around the store next time I am there.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
      #31465 - 19/05/05 06:02 AM

I'm not sure Maytag cheese has anything to do with the appliances but it could be the same family. Maytag Dairy farms are in Iowa and they make several other cheeses as well. www.maytagblue.com I think they have been around since the 40's. Those who live near Ann might make the trip up to Williams cheese in Pinconning for a real treat and a bargain on cheese prices. They also carry Boursin at Costco at a much better price as well as several others such as Tillamook cheddar, Irish cheeses and Yarlsburg. There are so many artisinal cheeses now its hard to keep up. I really like Mahon and double glouchester. Another great place for the cheese fanatic in Zingerman's in Ann Arbor but you kinda have to watch your wallet there. They used to carry a goats cheese wrapped in chestnut leafs that were soaked in brandy. But for me I'll take a slice of stilton, a glass of port and a fire any day.

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: Cheese [Re: ChuckWagon]
      #31842 - 24/05/05 03:56 AM

In reply to:

I'm not sure Maytag cheese has anything to do with the appliances but it could be the same family.

They are one in the same...just had some of the Bleu this past weekend...very rich and VERY nice...

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

majoryack
.224 member

Reged: 11/05/09
Loc: searcy AR
Re: Cheese [Re: clark7781]
      #140297 - 10/08/09 08:48 AM

I think Maytag blue is the gold standard for blue in the USA. Their white cheddar is good also. Visited OZ and NZ in late May of this year did not get a chance to try the King`s Island 40 acre blue and that was not a good thing. Did have some greway cheese in OZ and NZ.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #140380 - 11/08/09 12:51 PM

Quote:

BTW- I did not know cheese was good for your teeth.

Dairy products.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

PBR
.275 member

Reged: 21/08/09
Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Re: Cheese [Re: NitroX]
      #140931 - 22/08/09 02:49 AM

I love Provel cheese - a blend of cheddar, swiss, and provolone. It tastes very creamy and a little smokey.

Good cold; but great melted

philbert
.224 member

Reged: 31/12/07
Loc: INDIANA,USA
Re: Cheese [Re: PBR]
      #141555 - 04/09/09 01:19 PM

I love all types of cheese, but one that i like alot is Havarti.It goes great with smoked whitefish!

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Cheese [Re: philbert]
      #141563 - 04/09/09 08:15 PM

I love cheese as much as anyone and I especially like the firm cheeses made from cows milk.

If you love red wines, PLEASE, PLEASE, take a look at Piave Cheese. It is now at the top of my list. Seriously, this one is very good.

http://www.artisanalcheese.com/prodinfo.asp?number=10404

Italy’s Piave—as Versatile a Cheese as You Could Ever Want!

Piave, the cheese, is named after Piave, the river, which flows from Mount Peralba in Val Visdende, in the northernmost part of the province of Belluno, Italy. The river serpentines through the valley landscape, following a path that leads it to the bottom of the valley, finally reaching the plain at the foothills of the Prealpi Venete mountains in the province of Treviso. Much as the river Piave flows through the region, carrying with it minerals and currents throughout the land, Piave cheese dots the landscape, bringing with it the cheesemaking traditions of days gone by. The scenic landscape surrounding this ancient river has borne witness to centuries of cheesemaking craftsmanship in which methods and recipes have been refined, or, as some of us would say, perfected!

Another favorite Italian cheese from roughly the same region is Montasio (which we’ve had the pleasure of featuring a few times in the past six years). Like Montasio, Piave is made using the milk of two milkings, which partially accounts for their similarities in flavor. This technique, in which milk obtained from morning milking is mixed with the milk collected in the evening, is employed in the making of many cheeses. In the specific case of Piave, the evening milk is partially skimmed to remove its cream before the two are combined. When you’re talking about cheese, you’re really talking about milk (just a different form, no?) That’s why we must pay homage to our bovine buds without whom this gourmet delight would be impossible. Piave is produced with milk from the Bruna Alpina cows who enjoy a diet of fresh foliage from the region’s various mountainous pasturelands. Their milk is rich and high in protein, making it particularly well-suited for cheesemaking. The abundance of herbs and grasses in the alpine pastures infuses Piave with a sweet and delicate finish that you’re sure to adore. In fact, this is one of those cheeses that just about everyone can enjoy! Its flavors are accessible enough to appeal to the cheese naïve, yet complex enough to please the palates of the frommage cognoscenti. Whichever category you find yourself in—enjoy this difficult to find Italian treat!

Tasting Notes:

Piave: This traditional Northern Italian cheese is characteristically dense—devoid of those darned space-taking holes; nothing but solid cheese here! It has the texture of a young Parmigiano-Reggiano, with similarities to other favorites such as Gruyere (in terms of nutty flavors) and aged Gouda (with which it shares a certain sweetness). Slightly sweet and delicate tasting, expect to taste hints of walnuts and a subtle sweetness that many liken to caramel. Fully aged varieties (10+ months) are quite hard and excellent as grating cheeses, commonly used over salads and pasta or garnishing oven-baked polenta. When a bit younger and softer (about 6 months), this is the ideal snacking cheese. In either case, Piave is made even more pleasant with a white Zinfandel or Sauvignon blanc.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (04/09/09 09:29 PM)

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Cheese [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #141566 - 04/09/09 09:03 PM

I just came back from Spain - red wine, jamon serano and queso de oveja (a hard sheep milk cheese). Wonderful!

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: Cheese [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #141570 - 04/09/09 10:08 PM

MMM, they sound good. I plan to make some soft cheese at home soon, just need to get some rennet.

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #141571 - 04/09/09 10:14 PM

Jabali, where were you ? best, Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5323

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com