Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Riflefite?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Ron_Vella
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/05
Loc: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Riflefite?
      #231274 - 18/06/13 12:32 PM

A friend of a friend just purchased a .303 British double rifle by Atkin. Stamped on the barrel flats is "38 GRS RIFLEFITE". Anyone have any info on this powder? I suspect that it was a commercially manufactured cordite but am not sure. No data given for bullet weight but most probably was 215 grain.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Riflefite? [Re: Ron_Vella]
      #231277 - 18/06/13 03:13 PM

Have a look Here

That might help with load development.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Riflefite? [Re: tinker]
      #231301 - 19/06/13 03:34 AM

Thanks Tinker, "Ask and ye shall receive"! That's what makes this site so great; the wealth of knowledge and info here is staggering. I just hope it is not lost when all of we old pharts cash in our chips. I own six double rifles and am building a seventh. My 16-year-old grandson would far rather inherit ONE AR or AK or SKS clone than ALL of them.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #231313 - 19/06/13 09:24 AM

Can I be your grandson?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Riflefite? [Re: DarylS]
      #231316 - 19/06/13 11:56 AM

Ron-

Keep the faith.
When I was a kid I wanted a modern martial rifle too and didn't have the experience to fully appreciate a fine double rifle.
He'll grow and learn.

I hope your friend finds paydirt in that 303/rifleite information.
Keep us posted.
Photos too please!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #231320 - 19/06/13 04:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks Tinker, "Ask and ye shall receive"! That's what makes this site so great; the wealth of knowledge and info here is staggering. I just hope it is not lost when all of we old pharts cash in our chips. I own six double rifles and am building a seventh. My 16-year-old grandson would far rather inherit ONE AR or AK or SKS clone than ALL of them.

Never mind. There are up and coming young guys.

I remember getting interested in double rifles maybe around seventeen. Shot my first one, a Frankonia 5.6x50mmR/.22 Magnum a year before maybe, by around seventeen/eighteen was buying my .30-06 M98 and looked at a .375 Mag side by side for only $1100. The .30-06 was $400. I turned down the .375 DR because I wanted either a bigger bore with just open sights or a .375 sized rifle fitted with a scope or mount fittings. I regret that since.

Double rifles are expensive for a lot of young guys, so it takes a while for them to have the spare $$$ and save up.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Riflefite? [Re: NitroX]
      #231347 - 20/06/13 02:33 AM

John,
When I take him deer hunting I "force" him to use my .303 double!

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
      #231348 - 20/06/13 03:56 AM

Be happy he is interested in guns and hunting. Be proud, also, that your guidance resulted in those interests. If he never develops an interest in DRs- you have done your job.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #231350 - 20/06/13 04:39 AM

Ron--" When I take him deer hunting I "force" him to use my .303 double!"

Ron, Yes, I too see so many young "kids" these days all wanting a military style rifle; usually in .223 caliber, for big game-- all I can do is shake my head as I walk away! You tell him that there is nothing wrong with the .303, and that my brother used a .303 to kill his first 6 point bull elk (while I was using a .30-06 to do the same, in Montana, where we grew up, and where he still lives), and since that time, my brother has continued to use his .303 to take many other elk and deer, without a problem.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Riflefite? [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #231355 - 20/06/13 08:27 AM

Quote:

Ron--" When I take him deer hunting I "force" him to use my .303 double!"

Ron, Yes, I too see so many young "kids" these days all wanting a military style rifle; usually in .223 caliber, for big game-- all I can do is shake my head as I walk away! You tell him that there is nothing wrong with the .303, and that my brother used a .303 to kill his first 6 point bull elk (while I was using a .30-06 to do the same, in Montana, where we grew up, and where he still lives), and since that time, my brother has continued to use his .303 to take many other elk and deer, without a problem.

I still have my first centerfire rifle I bought..from my uncle for $45. --military .303 British..all I used the first 8 years of hunting..awesome gun..

Agree with the above also on being thankful the son enjoys hunting..

As to guns..I like them all..love shooting a double, nice large bore custom bolt or an AR..they all have their place IMHO, --didn't agree with using an AR for hunting until I tried it..great gun for coyotes..or antelope..and civil unrest...but there in nothing like a double rifle...totally in a class by themselves..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#231372 - 20/06/13 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Never mind. There are up and coming young guys.

I remember getting interested in double rifles maybe around seventeen. Shot my first one, a Frankonia 5.6x50mmR/.22 Magnum a year before maybe, by around seventeen/eighteen was buying my .30-06 M98 and looked at a .375 Mag side by side for only $1100. The .30-06 was $400. I turned down the .375 DR because I wanted either a bigger bore with just open sights or a .375 sized rifle fitted with a scope or mount fittings. I regret that since.

Double rifles are expensive for a lot of young guys, so it takes a while for them to have the spare $$$ and save up.

Forgot to write the actual point of my post - oldtimers disease - I read an article by Col Allison in the "Sporting Shooter" magazine, a hunting writer in Australia, where he described buying a Bland (I think ?) .450/400 double rifle and taking it to Africa to hunt elephant.

That article got me interested in both double rifles and hunting elephant. I had shot the Frankonia DR before and perhaps I got the date wrong above and may have been more like fifteen at the time. But couldn't afford a double rifle till many years later. After my second African safari in fact, I usually buy a new rifle AFTER a safari. I actually only bought one after starting the original NitroExpress.com website and discussion group. Since then one has grown to seven, with another two or three in the pipeline.

The point is the original article sparked an idea and interest.

Similarly forums and websites such as NitroExpress.com, pages such as the NitroExpress.com facebook page and the many posts across facebook, the many articles in many different magazines on double rifles and related topics, all contribute to a great many people wanting to join the "club" one day and if they can't still have the interest.

PS I would love a semi-auto military style rifle too, the interest, the means but will probably never have one without a serious 'revolution' in this country.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#231374 - 20/06/13 07:05 PM

PPS In the first three months of the NitroExpress.com forums changing their emphasis to double rifles and a change in forum software, I counted members saying the NE forums had influenced them to buy twelve new double rifles in those three months. After that I lost count.

That shows how forums, magazines and the like influence people with positive ideas and information to get into the sport or try something different, in this case traditional.

IMO every guy - 99.9% - who wants to go on a safari and especially a big game safari, also would love to have a double rifle. JMO.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ron_Vella
.333 member

#231382 - 20/06/13 10:20 PM

John,
The world owes you a debt of gratitude for starting and maintaining this site. It's my "home away from home". One can only guess at how much the exchange of info and ideas here has rejuvenated interest in that which we love.

Best,
Ron.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #231383 - 20/06/13 11:13 PM

Quote:

PPS In the first three months of the NitroExpress.com forums changing their emphasis to double rifles and a change in forum software, I counted members saying the NE forums had influenced them to buy twelve new double rifles in those three months. After that I lost count.

That shows how forums, magazines and the like influence people with positive ideas and information to get into the sport or try something different, in this case traditional.

IMO every guy - 99.9% - who wants to go on a safari and especially a big game safari, also would love to have a double rifle. JMO.

I was one of those who used to say it was a waste of money to hunt with a double when I could use that money to hunt instead..then I had an opportunity to shoot one..that was it..owned a double Westley the following year...agree totally, maybe I am attempting to relive yester-year but to hunt an elephant or cape buffalo with a double is the ultimate thrill/...IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ron_Vella
.333 member

Re: Riflefite? [Re: Ripp]
      #231392 - 21/06/13 02:09 AM

Ripp,
Last September, in Zimbabwe, I killed a Cape Buffalo with a double rifle, calibre .450 #2 NE, that I built myself. There are no drugs, legal or not, that could give you a high like that!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#231394 - 21/06/13 02:56 AM

Quote:

John,
The world owes you a debt of gratitude for starting and maintaining this site. It's my "home away from home". One can only guess at how much the exchange of info and ideas here has rejuvenated interest in that which we love.

Best,
Ron.

Ron, I hope people continue to enjoy the forums and participate. That's what they are here for.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Riflefite? [Re: Ripp]
      #231396 - 21/06/13 03:00 AM

Quote:

I was one of those who used to say it was a waste of money to hunt with a double when I could use that money to hunt instead..then I had an opportunity to shoot one..that was it..owned a double Westley the following year...agree totally, maybe I am attempting to relive yester-year but to hunt an elephant or cape buffalo with a double is the ultimate thrill/...IMHO..

Ripp

I found having a good double in hand, in my case a .450 NE when hunting elephant, in the jess, was a great confidence builder. With a bolt action, while excellent, one simply does not have that second shot instantly available when that elephant is going to be eight feet away around the tree ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#231397 - 21/06/13 03:01 AM

Quote:

Ripp,
Last September, in Zimbabwe, I killed a Cape Buffalo with a double rifle, calibre .450 #2 NE, that I built myself. There are no drugs, legal or not, that could give you a high like that!

Using one's own creation really would add to satisfaction I think.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5609

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com