Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SIG P220

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
SIG P220
      #230278 - 20/05/13 08:56 PM

What are your thoughts regarding the SIG P220?

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: SIG P220 [Re: bonanza]
      #230327 - 21/05/13 08:43 PM

Hello Bonanza,

I had the opportunity to handle, test and load ammunition for a SIG Sauer P220 in .45 ACP
(This was a special offered version with steel grip frame matched to the standard steel slide, together with a factory trigger job from Sauer)

The gun is best described as
- very reliable (not a single failure in about 250 shots fired with factory loads like standard FMJ RN, Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydra Shok, Magtech massive copper HP and reloads with 200grs and 230grs lead RN, Hornady HAP, copper plated RN and cone point from Haendler & Natermann)
- weapon shoots precise
- the DA trigger is not light, but very smooth like an old good S&W revolver
- the SA trigger is crisp and about 3 lbs

disadvantages:
- the postponed delivery (more than 3 months after scheduled delivery date)
- price
- on models with standard configuration: the recoil movement with the muzzle rising due to the relatively high barrel axis and the light aluminum grip frame
(This was the reason that the all-steel configuration was chosen in "my" test weapon.)

If you look for a reliable and precise pistol in .45 ACP, I can recommend the SIG Sauer P220.

best regards
Rolf

StephenCoker
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/11
Loc: AR, United States of America
Re: SIG P220 [Re: Rolf]
      #230338 - 22/05/13 01:57 AM

I have a great deal of experience with SIGS. I have competed in IDPA shooting matches with 220s and have performed action jobs on many of them. I've found them to be of high quality, very comfortable / ergonomic, accurate, and reliable.

However, I am not a fan of the inconsistent trigger pull of the double-action / single-action (DA/SA) designs in general. I can manage it, but I don't like it. Under timed drills I was always a bit slower, and my first round on target was always a bit outside the rest of my shots. It was still in "center of mass" though. I managed it, but it seemed to take a lot out of me in terms of concentration and manipulation compared to running the same practice drills with SA designs such as the 1911, Hi-Power, and CZ variants. I believe that SIG now makes a SA version of the 220. Should you have the same concern, that might be something to look into. Also some CZ-75 variants can be shot as DA/SA like the SIGs, or can be carried cocked and locked. If you like the feel of the SIGs, then you will absolutely love the feel of the CZs.

I also feel they're a bit over-complicated. There's just a lot of springs and gizmos in them! For the Swiss, that's normal, and they make it work very, very reliably. I guess my complaint is from the view point of working on them as well as using them. A friend and I often joke that if the SIGs were made by anyone besides the Swiss, they wouldn't work!

Hope this helps!

--------------------
www.stephencokerandco.com
Uniquely superlative rifles in the Scottish tradition.

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: SIG P220 [Re: StephenCoker]
      #230345 - 22/05/13 04:57 AM

I have a SIG 220 X6, single action with a six inch slide. Match gun and it's probably the most accurate model ever built, I know that sounds like a line but it's certainly scary accurate.

Love the thing, they also make a 5 inch X5 and a couple of other single action models. The only draw back is it's a big frame and is best for mid to large hands.

Holsters are also a bit of a pain.

Cheaper then a Wilson Combat 1911 though they are a touch expensive.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: SIG P220 [Re: Rell]
      #230582 - 28/05/13 02:54 AM

Quote:

I have a SIG 220 X6, single action with a six inch slide. Match gun and it's probably the most accurate model ever built, I know that sounds like a line but it's certainly scary accurate.

Love the thing, they also make a 5 inch X5 and a couple of other single action models. The only draw back is it's a big frame and is best for mid to large hands.

Holsters are also a bit of a pain.

Cheaper then a Wilson Combat 1911 though they are a touch expensive.

I have several Sigs in various models..find them to be very accurate and dependable..however, have to say, in regards to overall feel and accuracy, still prefer my Kimbers...took me quite a bit to get used to their triggers again primarily beause of used to the Kimbers trigger pull...but Sigs are a very good pistol...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1846

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com