Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Doubles At Auction

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: lancaster]
      #333604 - 19/10/19 06:41 AM

Maybe one day.....we can all dream - thanks Lancaster for your labour of love doing these!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #337044 - 26/01/20 12:16 AM

two typical belgian double rifles for the domestic market, most common claiber were 8x60R, 9x57R, 35 WCF and 401WCF
this are true belgian double rifles

Jules Bury 405 Win https://www.naturabuy.fr/express-juxtapo...em-5035727.html

no name, 8x60RS,
https://www.naturabuy.fr/Express-belge-8x60RS-item-5365873.html

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #337071 - 26/01/20 09:57 AM

Very nice, complete with Swans Neck Stocks so favored by the Belgians and then as a consequence by the Americans.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

lancaster
.470 member

#338828 - 09/03/20 01:43 AM

https://auctions.springer-vienna.com/en/...;currentpos=160

sidelock S/S double rifle Claude Bouchet - Flamarens, France, .577 Tyrannosaur,
59 cm barrels, bored from a solid billet, not soldered from tubes (thus a REAL Monobloc), inscribed "Fait par Claude Bouchet a Flamarens .577 Tyrannosaur", adjustable express sights, extractor, bright action, full-coverage engraved, with chiselled shaded foliate scroll surrounded panels with fine Bulino engraving, African Elephant herd with Antelopes in front of Mount Kilimanjaro on the left, Black Rhinos, a Nile Crocodile and a Mane Lion on the right, Leopards on the action bottom, Cape Buffalo on tang, signed "Grave par Claude Bouchet 2000", on the right a side lever, pinless sidelocks with integral bridles, back-action locks, mechanical non-selective single trigger, blocked sears only allow the left tumbler to drop after the right lock has been engaged, thus the rifle is unable to double-fire, side bolsters, very sturdy walnut stock, fish-scale chequering, pistol grip with en-suite engraved steel cap, oval cheekpiece, chequered butt, 35 cm, trap for a wrench for disassembly of the locks, broad beavertail fore-end with push-rod type Anson, knurled and screwed in preventing involuntary becoming loose, in an oak and leather case with accessories and canvas cover as well as proof documents from the French proof house in St. Etienne, weight 10,5 kg, year of manufacture 2000, condition 1-2.
Claude Bouchet makes such truly unique pieces by hand taking more than three years time, the arm incorporates some individual inventions and innovations. The cartridge was invented by A-Square, originally for their Hannibal bolt action, and with more than 13000 Joule muzzle energy it is more than ample for all the Big Game animals still alive today. The rifle is regulated to a distance of 80 m with 750 grs bullet weight

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #338880 - 09/03/20 02:01 PM

How do you regulate such a barrel?

As for the engraving? Really quite awful. Matches the whole appearance of the rifle, squat and dumpy looking.

Look at the "cheeky" cape buffalo!

The elephants are all on the "bottom of the page" like a immature five year olds drawing.

The leopards? Thankfully the lion and rhinos are too small ... really so much more could be said about the engraving ...
'
The concussion the recoil would give one, is the best thing about this rifle ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

vykkagur
.300 member

Reged: 28/11/19
Loc: Canada
Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: NitroX]
      #338889 - 09/03/20 09:54 PM

Quote:

How do you regulate such a barrel?

As for the engraving? Really quite awful. Matches the whole appearance of the rifle, squat and dumpy looking.

Look at the "cheeky" cape buffalo!

The elephants are all on the "bottom of the page" like a immature five year olds drawing.

The leopards? Thankfully the lion and rhinos are too small ... really so much more could be said about the engraving ...
'
The concussion the recoil would give one, is the best thing about this rifle ....

That buffalo looks like he's wearing a set of National Health dentures.

And yes, how would you regulate a set of monobloc barrels? That's a sincere question; I'm genuinely interested in finding this out.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: vykkagur]
      #338891 - 09/03/20 10:35 PM

Oh well.....!

The Torx screw holding on the rear sight sets it off nicely!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

vykkagur
.300 member

#338892 - 09/03/20 10:45 PM

And while I'm in an "inquiring minds" sort of mood, this has baffled me for as long as I can remember:

Like many of us, I'm fascinated by the sight of a beautifully-fitted gun case. Felt-lined pockets for gun, barrels, second set of barrels, scope, tools and accessories, cartridges, canvas-clad or hand-tooled leather, perhaps with the ultimate touch, the owner's name on the cover. I can, and have, marvelled away probably hours of my life over the years gazing over pictures of such gorgeous pieces of workmanship (for I'll never be rich enough to afford to have any of my own.) Then one day, the question hit me like a wet flounder:

Where's the forend?

I can safely say I've looked at a hundred or more such cased rifles and shotguns, easily, and I've seen exactly ONE with the forend in evidence. I've gone back and looked at many, trying to spot a hidden compartment where the forend might be stowed, with no success. Many of them don't even have enough space evident for such a compartment.

So, you collectors of fine cased doubles, please let me in on the secret: Where's the forend?

vykkagur
.300 member

Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: Marrakai]
      #338893 - 09/03/20 10:48 PM

Quote:

Oh well.....!

The Torx screw holding on the rear sight sets it off nicely!

Torx fasteners and engraving (good or otherwise) do not mix!

Perhaps we should be grateful it doesn't have a laser sight.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
      #338902 - 10/03/20 06:20 AM

Only for your information, Mr. Claude Bouchet was absolutely not a gunsmith, he was a very good self taught machinist, passionate about very big bore double rifles.
His challenge was to make this pair of true monobloc barrels, that is to say, drawn from the same block of steel, and while I remember the tests carried out at the time (circa 1970) by Raymond Caranta the convergence was perfect.
We see that the man did not have a very large culture and little knowledge about classic rifle design and even if I am deeply sorry about the result I recognize his mechanical tour de force.
The system is also very specific, unrelated to anything that has been designed previously.
The adornment is hideous because it was done by beginners with a very small budget.
On the other hand, the wood and leather case is the work of the FAC (Fabrique d'Articles de Cuir), very serious people of great reputation who have equipped prestigious manufacturers.
Those who know me will understand that I cannot like this weapon but I pay tribute to the will, the ingenuity and the patience of its designer.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

vykkagur
.300 member

Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: DORLEAC]
      #338912 - 10/03/20 12:51 PM

Quote:

Only for your information, Mr. Claude Bouchet was absolutely not a gunsmith, he was a very good self taught machinist, passionate about very big bore double rifles.
His challenge was to make this pair of true monobloc barrels, that is to say, drawn from the same block of steel, and while I remember the tests carried out at the time (circa 1970) by Raymond Caranta the convergence was perfect.
We see that the man did not have a very large culture and little knowledge about classic rifle design and even if I am deeply sorry about the result I recognize his mechanical tour de force.
The system is also very specific, unrelated to anything that has been designed previously.
The adornment is hideous because it was done by beginners with a very small budget.
On the other hand, the wood and leather case is the work of the FAC (Fabrique d'Articles de Cuir), very serious people of great reputation who have equipped prestigious manufacturers.
Those who know me will understand that I cannot like this weapon but I pay tribute to the will, the ingenuity and the patience of its designer.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

That puts it in a very different light, and I heartily echo your sentiments. While the finished product is not to the standard we all expect in a professionally-made rifle, as a product of an amateur machinist with no previous gunsmithing training, I am in great admiration of M. Bouchet. We all have these dreams of a personal masterpiece, made to our own vision and nobody else's, but few of us ever realize them. M. Bouchet has overcome huge challenges and done just that, and I doubt that many with his level of experience could equal it, let alone do better. As fine piece of a gunmaker's art, it leaves much to be desired; as a first effort, it's incredible. Well done, that man!

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #338919 - 10/03/20 04:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

That puts it in a very different light, and I heartily echo your sentiments. While the finished product is not to the standard we all expect in a professionally-made rifle, as a product of an amateur machinist with no previous gunsmithing training, I am in great admiration of M. Bouchet. We all have these dreams of a personal masterpiece, made to our own vision and nobody else's, but few of us ever realize them. M. Bouchet has overcome huge challenges and done just that, and I doubt that many with his level of experience could equal it, let alone do better. As fine piece of a gunmaker's art, it leaves much to be desired; as a first effort, it's incredible. Well done, that man!

vykkagur,

Very well said, and I agree with you totally.
It's not the prettiest double on the planet but it is indeed an engineering masterpiece.
Anyone who can machine the two barrels from one piece of steel, and get the convergence right, certainly has my respect.

And Mr Dorleac, thankyou Sir for your informative and highly valued details on this unique double rifle.

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: 4seventy]
      #338920 - 10/03/20 06:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

vykkagur,

Very well said, and I agree with you totally.
It's not the prettiest double on the planet but it is indeed an engineering masterpiece.
Anyone who can machine the two barrels from one piece of steel, and get the convergence right, certainly has my respect.

And Mr Dorleac, thankyou Sir for your informative and highly valued details on this unique double rifle.

I remember reading an article about this fellow, he made more than 1 didn’t he? Yes, they are huge and not the most attractive, but as Dorleac said, they are marvels still.

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: Ash]
      #338924 - 10/03/20 10:43 PM

Quote:

Where's the forend?

Usually on a SxS double it is re-attached to the barrels before casing, so that when looked at in the open case, the forend is not visible beneath the barrels.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: DORLEAC]
      #338927 - 10/03/20 11:38 PM

Quote:

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Thanks Joel for the informative comments on the background and making.

Quote:

I assume the tests were actual shooting tests. Then yes a amazing if it was able to shoot regulated groups. Well done to the maker on the engineering.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#338928 - 10/03/20 11:49 PM

The engraving.

Sometimes I wonder why people engrave their rifles at all. No engraving is far preferable to bad engraving. Minimal engraving is far preferable to bad engraving.

The animal engravings actually remind me of another sometime mush praised gun maker, not mentioned a lot on NE though, and the cartoonish animals engraved on his firearms and displayed on the internet in the past.

I think some scroll work looks fine. I would not want to carry a rifle or own a rifle with such "pictures". Give me plain sideplates any day in preference if not done properly.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #338935 - 11/03/20 01:42 AM

I think that Karl Lippard was making monobloc barrels for one iteration of Wilkes shotguns and rifles as well as his own. Not sure he is still with us though.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

vykkagur
.300 member

#338938 - 11/03/20 06:03 AM

Quote:

The engraving.

Sometimes I wonder why people engrave their rifles at all. No engraving is far preferable to bad engraving. Minimal engraving is far preferable to bad engraving.

The animal engravings actually remind me of another sometime mush praised gun maker, not mentioned a lot on NE though, and the cartoonish animals engraved on his firearms and displayed on the internet in the past.

I think some scroll work looks fine. I would not want to carry a rifle or own a rifle with such "pictures". Give me plain sideplates any day in preference if not done properly.

Putting aside the whole question of M. Bouchet's artwork for the moment, I have to say I agree with you on the subject of engraving firearms. I do appreciate the artistic skill that goes into fine engraving (on anything, let alone the convoluted surfaces of a firearm), but I too, very much prefer the clean lines of unadorned steel. Even if I ever became disgustingly wealthy enough to afford custom rifles made to my every whim (Are you listening, Universe? Still waiting...), I would forego the scrollwork and the hunting scenes in favour of a first-rate, deep bluing job. I just find engraved rifles too "busy" for my personal taste. To each his own, I suppose. That's why they still make Fords.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#338942 - 11/03/20 08:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The engraving.

Putting aside the whole question of M. Bouchet's artwork for the moment, I have to say I agree with you on the subject of engraving firearms. I do appreciate the artistic skill that goes into fine engraving (on anything, let alone the convoluted surfaces of a firearm), but I too, very much prefer the clean lines of unadorned steel. Even if I ever became disgustingly wealthy enough to afford custom rifles made to my every whim (Are you listening, Universe? Still waiting...), I would forego the scrollwork and the hunting scenes in favour of a first-rate, deep bluing job. I just find engraved rifles too "busy" for my personal taste. To each his own, I suppose. That's why they still make Fords.

I like engraving. Am too poor to afford it. Too rough to have good engraving on my using firearms. My comment was this rifle is so gross and ugly with that awful engaving, I would not own if given it for free and would be embarrassed to sell it. I would prefer plain metal locks to those abominations.

Moot point. Can't afford it anyway. My Spanish detachable sidelock shotgun does have nice engraving and I purchased it for $800. Machine engraved?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #338948 - 11/03/20 01:16 PM

On the subject of the engraving - still on par if not better than the animals done on early English doubles... now where’s my spoon, ah yes, I used it to stir the pot

--------------------

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: Ash]
      #338959 - 11/03/20 10:24 PM

Dorleac very pleased with your view on this gun.

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: Ahmed577]
      #338992 - 13/03/20 03:05 AM

Very nice looking .405 WCF. Thank you for the pictures.

The .405 is a good cartridge for a double and for a lever action. I have both and they are both effective killers of large and dangerous game.

With DR 300 pound red deer hind.

With lever action old Cape buff cow:

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

SB
.224 member

Reged: 18/03/19
Loc: Other (Non U.S.)
      #341091 - 14/05/20 07:14 PM

https://auctionet.com/en/1274236-620-dub...se-nr-se0200284

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Doubles At Auction [Re: SB]
      #341105 - 15/05/20 01:50 PM

dont forget the pics
to bad with the broken stock, need a new one if you wish to shoot it because 450 BPE will not accept this anymore

the 577 BPE 3" there is in much better shape

https://auctionet.com/en/1280193-621-dub.../images#image_3

--------------------

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #341115 - 15/05/20 11:25 PM

Nice looking 577. Too bad the auction is not in the US. I would bid on that rifle.

--------------------
RB

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 141976

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com