Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Renaissance For 'Pigsticking' In Spain

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
A Renaissance For 'Pigsticking' In Spain
      #227994 - 04/04/13 09:24 AM

An ancient hunting ritual is making a comeback in modern Spain: the practice of hunting wild boar on horseback with spears — and no guns. The sport dates to Roman times, and was recently approved and added to Spanish hunting regulations.

Just a 20-minute drive from Spain's capital, you're in the dehesa — oak woodlands, where wild boar, deer and mountain goats roam. Madrid's skyscrapers are on the horizon, but in the forest, ancient traditions still reign.

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/03/175385798/a-renaissance-for-pigsticking-in-spain

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: A Renaissance For 'Pigsticking' In Spain [Re: Story]
      #228031 - 04/04/13 07:10 PM

Hi Story, as far as I am aware it never went away but is a lot less common than it used to be. You need to be a good horseman ! A lot of people are unaware that about 67% of Spain is still natural parks but you can hunt there. My son is going on a school trip to Cazorla near Jaen for 4 days in May on a nature trip. I asked him if he could ask the teacher if I could go along with my single shot .30-06 with him, just as back up in case, (Cazorla has big boar, mouflon, fallow, big red stags etc). Unfortunately there were not keen on the idea ? best, Mike

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: A Renaissance For 'Pigsticking' In Spain [Re: Story]
      #228033 - 04/04/13 07:16 PM

Not that fun when a nasty Boar cuts deep in to the horse leg, the horse throws the rider off and the Boar goes for the rider..... Could be interesting??? I don´t know how Wildboars do in Spain, but on other places they are laying in thick bush. How do they make them run??

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1964

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com