Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Zkk Zeiss Jena scopes.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
AndyB
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/12
Loc: Europe
Zkk Zeiss Jena scopes.
      #227930 - 03/04/13 09:01 AM

Hello, Im sorry if Im posting in the wrong forum.

Im looking for an original Zkk 601 scope and Im curious; if I find a mount and a scope separately, can I mount the scope in the mount myself without any problem?

Also, Do both the 4x32 and 6x40 (?) scopes fit the different mounts or did they make separate scopes as well as mounts?

Regards
Andy.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Zkk Zeiss Jena scopes. [Re: AndyB]
      #227948 - 03/04/13 02:44 PM

Someone say Brno ZKK

The QD factory mounts came in three different models to suit the three different ZKK action lengths:

ZKK601 Short (.223/.243/.308 etc)
ZKK600 Medium (7x57mm/.270/.30-06 etc)
ZKK602 Magnum (.375H&H/.458 etc)

They are clearly stamped on the left hand side rail as to what model ZKK they fit.

There was a range of Zeiss Jena scopes available not all have machined lugs or a boss to fit the ZKK mount. Some were set up to suit drillings and have a different lower mount block configuration.

It would be far better to get an original ZKK factory scope and mount together.

4x32mm (most common size on ZKK601) or a 6x32mm (more rare, most I've seen are on ZKK600 mounts).
You can swap the ZKK type Zeiss Jena scopes over between ZKK mounts easily.

They turn up on eBay from time to time and seem to go for around $300-$400 if in good condition with original leather caps. I was watching a ZKK600 4x32 that just finished a few days ago...

Even more rare are Brno ZKK QD mounts that have been modified to fit 1" standard scope rings... Ausinel in Australia offered them as a standard line many years ago. I also picked up a set in Europe on eBay... they are around if you look hard.

Hope this helps...

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Zkk Zeiss Jena scopes. [Re: TilleyMan]
      #227952 - 03/04/13 06:06 PM

Tillyman,

Your still out there ! Good to see you posting.

TilleyMan
.333 member

Re: Zkk Zeiss Jena scopes. [Re: tophet1]
      #228019 - 04/04/13 04:58 PM

Ah yes, Tophet still alive and kicking in amongst a LOT of work travel lately... not much time for anything else

Hopefully now we have successfully launched the new Ranger things will settle down and I can rediscover the joys of all things hunting and shooting!

Nothing like a Brno ZKK related post to kick me off again

AndyB
.224 member

#228092 - 05/04/13 07:04 AM

Thanks a lot for the information TilleyMan!

Hmm, I hope Cz doesnt have too strict weapons export laws..!

TilleyMan
.333 member

#228097 - 05/04/13 09:19 AM

My pleasure... always happy to help another Brnophile

Unless you absolutely MUST have an original ZKK scope and QD mount for a collection (and they are not without some annoying traits... including the lack of precision click adjustments and the subsequent amount of ammo needed to sight one in!) why not look at alternatives?

Someone based in the EU has manufactured a range of new QD mounts to fit the ZKK600 and the CZ550... available in two QD configurations (one with conventional small levers, the other with curved spring assisted over-centre levers that are less likely to catch up on clothing or gear.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Super-Quick-R...=item23276837d4

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Release...=item23276837de

Maybe they will also offer QD mounts to fit the shorter ZKK601?

I originally thought they were made by MAK in Germany, but perhaps one of our EU-based members can clarify?

http://www.kilic-feintechnik.de/en/scopemounts/scopemounts/?tt_products[cat]=16
http://www.kilic-feintechnik.de/fileadmin/pdf/MAKuick_SSM_-_CZ550_Englisch_-_Datenblatt__1_.pdf

AndyB
.224 member

#228256 - 07/04/13 10:29 PM

Thanks for the tips! I got the Warne maxima medium ones and hopefully they are able to keep the point of impact after dismounting-remounting, havent had the time to test them properly yet. If they dissapoint Ill give your suggestions a try!

By the way, Im thinking of reshaping the weatherby stock slightly.. I really dont like the rectangular shape and want to straighten the sides and round the down-edges slightly. Do you (or anyone else) have any input of the wood thickness? I'm a little worried its going to start flexing and need a i.e. bedding mass down the barrel channel.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #228273 - 08/04/13 01:21 AM

Here is my ZKK 601 in .308 Win., modified by myself. Barrel shortened to 21", foreend trimmed down, Buffalo horn tip installed, butt pad changed.

It has one of those special Zeiss Jena 4x32 scopes in the special Brno mount.
I can only agree with Tilleyman: Sighting in these contraptions is a real pita!
The rear turret on the scope is for focusing, the front for elevation adjustment. The elevation adjustment is without clicks and tiny movements of the disc achive big jumps up and down. This is the easy part. Windage adjustment is really hard to do: There are four, two on each side, screws with very fine, read easily stripped threads. These press down the scope's dovetail into it's dovetailed bed on the mount. to achieve windage adjustment, you have to loosen the two screws on one side and tighten those on the other side, being careful to torque them evenly. When starting new it's a much better idea to use a more modern scope with both windage and elevation adjustment and Warne qd rings like I did on my ZKK 602 in .416 Rigby.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

AndyB
.224 member

Re: Zkk Zeiss Jena scopes. [Re: kuduae]
      #228325 - 08/04/13 08:20 PM

Ah nice, it was yours I had in mind when I was thinking how to reshape, hehe. Yours look nice and personal!

I have to admit I found it a bummer its "manual" windage adjustment, but it would still be nice to have a scope for collecting purposes, I did manage to get that original little canvas bag, tool and trigger from a nice guy. Still looking for a rifle-canvas bag and scope tough!
Not sure if they came with any sling?

Also I think theres a Zkk 601 with the original box even at gunbroker but, well.. a cardbord box..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6940

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com