Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Need a little assistance with a French Shotgun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
DonT
.224 member

Reged: 16/05/12
Loc: Minnesota
Need a little assistance with a French Shotgun
      #227792 - 01/04/13 06:50 AM

Good Morning,

Was at a gunshow yesterday and this little 16 Ga. caught my eye. I like SXS and have a few drillings and really didn't need another but it was unique enough I knew it just had to follow me home but at $500 I am not sure if I got a good deal or not. There is a little wiggle between the barrel and fence with the forend off but if you slip a sheet of typing paper in the action you cannot slide it out so the play is minimal and should not effct function.

Barrels are 26" and pull to the front trigger is about 13 3/4" with about 1 1/8" of drop. I am not sure how you discribe the stock as it isn't the tranditional pistol grip or as pronounced as the Prince of Whales style and isn't a straight english style. It is a light gun tipping the scales at just a skoosh over 6 pounds.

From what I was told and can find the barrels, monoblock and lugs are all made from one piece of steel.

It has a really odd (to me) sight picture with the front site tucked down between the barrels and machined wing affair on the rear. It actually makes the front sight look closer than it really is.

Another item that struck me as unusual is that the Greener Style Cross Bolt that locks the barrel is Square,not round and the hole in the barrel extention is square as well and not round.

Chokes are a bit odd compared to what I am use to seeing the right barrel is actually tighter (full) than the left barrel (Improved Modified).

Anyhow I am looking for some information on the gun, aproximate age and value as well as who it may have been made by and if it is safe to shoot. Most of the markings are clear in the photos that are attached, let me know if you need to see something else. I am assuming the 6.5 indicates the gun originally had 2.5" chambers but at sometime they were extened to 2.75" according to my chamber gauge.

In case they are hard to see there is a on the water table:
PT with crown over it
PS with crown over it
Number 54

On the barrel Flats and barrels there are:
What looks like an EP, E backwards, inside a circle
2 R's back to back
PT with crown
PS with crown
C.G.Paris
Rectifie in a semi circle
the letter S
the work Monobloc
The number 454

My concern is if it is rated for nitro powder and safe to shoot with moderate to light loads for bird hunting?

Pics below,, Any and all help appreciated....

Thanks,
DonT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Re: Need a little assistance with a French Shotgun [Re: DonT]
      #227796 - 01/04/13 08:58 AM

Don

If you are going to use that gun, and it has "a little wiggle" between the barrels and action, now is the time to fix it. If it will close tight on a piece of paper, it is off the face. Any further shooting will beat it to death in short order, and at an exponentially increasing rate. The parts have a run at each other now upon firing, and it'll only get worse.

It looks like it will make a nice grouse gun for you.

sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
Re: Need a little assistance with a French Shotgun [Re: MikeRowe]
      #228493 - 10/04/13 08:36 PM

DonT

The E reversed with P in a circle denotes the Paris proof house
16.8 = 661.5 thou = 16 gauge
6.5 is 6.5 centremetres is the chamber length.
PT and PS with a star over the top is the types of powder used in the Paris proof house
PS = is for barrels proofed with type S powder introduced 30th march 1896
PT = is for barrels proofed with type T powder introduced after 1900

By magnifing to 400 I see the PT with crown over the top is the St Etienne proof house
I think these proof marks are pre 1923

I feel that the other marks are post 1965.
I have been through the proof book from cover to cover and cannot find any thing that relates to the marks listed below
The two Rs (one reversed) with the other heavy stampings
CG Paris
Monoblock
S
The 3988 does not relate to any French pressure test figures in this book either PSI , KPA or Bar
\I don't know what it is

I hope this helps

sbs470

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2282

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com