Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Christmas hunt in Germany

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Christmas hunt in Germany
      #227514 - 25/03/13 11:06 PM

I was invited to a nice hunt in Germany between Christmas and New year. It was a two day hunt on a big estate. First day was out at the fields, where people and dogs pushed through small islands of forest. It was some rough shooting, roedeers with high speed trying to escape. We were not allowed to take shots at male roedeers. It wasnīt easy to see what sex it was, especially when this time the year the bigger males had lost their antlets. In total it was 26 roedeers shot during 3 h. We had a very nice dinner at evening, a barbecued Wildboar. Second day was in the forest. I had a good stand in an old Beech forest. Did see many animals, one totally white Fallow deer. Did shoot 2 Roedeers and a Wildboar. No male Roedeers and big female Wildboars were allowed. I did use my Blaser 9,3x62 with 286 North Fork bullets. These German hunts are different from Swedish hunts, more traditions, like the horn blowing. Food before and after hunt, dinner and great beer at evenings.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Christmas hunt in Germany [Re: Sville]
      #227527 - 26/03/13 04:06 AM

I am always totally amazed at the quantity of game killed on European hunts.

I wouldn't see that much stir fry in many years here. Many.

Truly, the management system is terrific and tho I understand the opportunity to hunt is far more limited than it is here, the results for those who hunt are far greater.

But then, I also understand that most Euros do not have to share the game with woods full of bobcat, coyote, mountain lion, wolves, black and grizzly bear and skies full of eagles...all trash in my book.

Well, 'cept for bear. They are quite tasty.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Christmas hunt in Germany [Re: 9.3x57]
      #227528 - 26/03/13 04:23 AM

A good enjoyable hunt you had.
Do you keep your animals or are they shared with all the hunters?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Sville
.400 member

Re: Christmas hunt in Germany [Re: gryphon]
      #227531 - 26/03/13 04:53 AM

In Sweden we have a bad time with Wolves, spreading all over the country. Lynx and Bears there are plenty of in some parts. Now Wolves are spreading in Germany from Poland. A friend of mine saw one outside Berlin.
The animals belongs to the owner or the one that hires the area. If you are a guest you only get the trophies, if there are any. //Staffan

Sville
.400 member

#227532 - 26/03/13 04:56 AM

John, I had my dog with me to this hunt. She was a success!!! They did make speeches to her at the dinner. Itīs a good feeling for a dog owner!!!

9.3x57
.450 member

#227536 - 26/03/13 05:29 AM

Sville;

Wait till you have a few thousand ulve. The results are not good.

However, and this I cannot prove but would love to see a study on it.

It may be that the prolificacy of pigs is such that they can serve as an alternative prey species sufficient to alleviate some stress on ungulates. We do not have pigs. We also have less and less game, so much less in fact that our hunting seasons have been dramatically curtailed. Hunting and trapping alone will not sufficiently reduce wolf populations to allow recovery of elk.

Hopefully your politicians and hunters can learn from our catastrophe here and enact true control measures before it is too late.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Sville
.400 member

#227537 - 26/03/13 05:48 AM

Our politicians in Sweden did allow us to hunt wolves this winter, then the European community did overrule. So the hunt were closed before it started. Bad things happens..... But maybe it will be different if they get them in Germany???

9.3x57
.450 member

#227538 - 26/03/13 06:37 AM

By the way, it is wonderful to see youngsters at the hunt. Great pic of the salut there. We need an educated and aware Next Generation!!

As for the Germans, I got kicked off a German knife forum site because of a picture I posted of a COYOTE. The entire site damn near exploded and 2 Moderators emailed me to tell me basically this, almost word for word; "Germans love wolves. We don't care if the picture was a coyote, and we don't care if wolves and coyotes destroy your game and livestock. We all love wolves".

I'm hoping that is not true and that not ALL Germans love wolves!

--------------------

Sville
.400 member

#227539 - 26/03/13 06:48 AM

No, I donīt think so. But there are many people that are fond of wolves when they donīt have them nearby themselves. Talked to a neighbour right now. We have had a pack of wolves in the surroundings last night.

9.3x57
.450 member

#227540 - 26/03/13 07:22 AM

You are absolutely correct. Everyone loves wolves...unless you have to live with them.

The science is pretty definitive;

16-24 large ungulates per wolf per year. Most mortality additive.

I used to have large numbers of elk and deer on the south facing slopes of my ranch in the spring. We now have very few left.

Along with many species of predators, we also have winter kill. The incidious reality is that hard winters for ungulates are easy winters for wolves, providing more productive hunting and additional nutrition thru scavenging. This is the scenario we faced a few years ago; Wolves moving into our area + a couple bad winters = ungulates unable to recover. Cow/calf ratios of about 9% {necessary for stable herds 25%, growing herds 30% +}. It is hard not to comment on it when you know what is coming to all those who have wolves and other large predators and are not allowed by law to control them.

Yes, we have an 7-month long season on wolves. No it doesn't matter a lick.

Good luck and don't let the Myth Makers and propagandists win.

--------------------

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #227569 - 27/03/13 01:14 AM

I have to agree with 9.3, I've seen the elk population in the area I live drop by huge amounts. This year's wolf quoto's were not filled, even with the allowance of traping. I believe in my heart that the only reason wolves were introduced, was to stop sport hunting. They will eventually reduce the game populations so low that hunting will be outlawed, and then the livestock growers will really be in trouble.
Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Christmas hunt in Germany [Re: aromakr]
      #227580 - 27/03/13 03:11 AM

The game branch is warning there might not be a local moose season this coming fall due to wolf and grizzly predation. The wolves and grizzlies too, have overpopulated in what until now, used to be one of the prime moose producing areas in BC. Last fall, they like hen's teeth in that area - yet still wolf and grizzly tracks abounded, following the odd deer tracks - no fresh moose sign at all.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Sville
.400 member

Re: Christmas hunt in Germany [Re: DarylS]
      #227584 - 27/03/13 04:38 AM

Sounds bad

9.3x57
.450 member

#227586 - 27/03/13 05:49 AM

Sville;

It is. Very.

I think it is hard for Europeans to fathom what the combination of a hard winter + high predator populations WILL do to game populations. Reason I say it is on other forums I have read many who think sightings of wolves in France, expansion of Italian wolf populations and the support of wolf populations in Fenno-Scandinavia is a good thing, not knowing the end result once wolves reach a certain density. Not too many years ago we had lots and lots of hunters who thought the same thing here. Those of us who had researched the issue being a minority of hunters. I cannot tell you how frustrating it was to be belittled and mocked by hunters who thought wolves would never be a problem! Now their tune has changed...too late!

Trouble is...wolf populations in the developed countries were suppressed for so long most folks had utterly no idea just what wolves can AND WILL do if left to increase. Daryl here has posted quite a bit on the back and forth of Canadian policy on wolf control. Here in the USA stupidity reigns supreme and now we see the Idaho Fish and Game Department trying to shift from being a "Fish and Game" Department supported by hunting and fishing tag sales to a "Wildlife Department". And the Department is now searching for ever greater sources of funding besides those legislatively prescribed for it. Already over half the funding comes from non-tag sales, much of it from FEDERAL contracts! I susect another pitch will be made for general funds from the State in the near future on the grounds that they "serve all citizens of the state in managing all wildlife". They even changed the name of the Commision meetings last year to a "Wildlife Summit"...and...INVITED GREENS AND ENVIRO EXTREMISTS TO THE MEETINGS!!

Maybe the initial response in Germany might be to welcome wolves in order to control pig populations. Regardless, the end result may be catastrophe. Maybe Germans don't care. I do not know.

Mountain lion here kill on average 50 deer per year each. Wolves c. 20 elk per year per wolf. Bear a substantial number of both deer and elk calves in some notorious drainages. Coyotes about 12 deer/year per coyote {with an USDA estimated coyote population in Idaho of 50,000!!!}. Mostly fawns. Bobcat kill many deer fawns.

The old Idaho Fish and Game Biennial Reports I have compiled from 1899-1940 and the Federal Bureau of Biological Survey Reports 1915-1940 tell the EXACT same story. We do NOT need "more studies". We KNOW the science, and the requirement to dramatically control predator populations is necessary to preserve and protect hunting. The State ignores its own past research and the Federal government is hellbent on destroying our heritage as well. And they HAVE WON in many parts of the Northwest AND WILL IN MANY MORE.

In the absence of toxicant application we will NEVER see recovery of elk. NEVER.

You have your EU that, from what I have read, is no different in policy goals than our Federal government; destroy hunting and rural culture in the name of "protection of the environment", "preservation of biological diversity" and "protection of endangered species". ALL euphemisms for cultural and economic genocide. The destruction of a HUMAN cultural group; traditional rural people.

It takes years for small wolf populations to grow to a level that starts being noticed by hunters, but the collapse of game species occurs and often to locals quite "suddenly". Very sad indeed.

Good luck and learn from our loss. At least some good may then come from it.

--------------------

Sville
.400 member

#227592 - 27/03/13 06:47 AM

I understand your problem, much the same in Sweden, Finland and Norway. We donīt have as many animals as in Germany, except from the south of S. We have wolves, lynx, bear, foxes. The bears are not much of a problem, but wolves are. We can see that the population of Mooses are going down. Our goverment are positive to hunting but the European community overrules. /Staffan

9.3x57
.450 member

#227594 - 27/03/13 07:04 AM

Sville;

I am not familiar with land ownership in Sweden. I believe much of the ground in the south is privately owned, but what about north and west? Do you have large areas owned by your government? I would imagine that might impact predator control options either now or in the future, that is, with more regulation on government lands than on private land?

Here in Idaho, 69% of the total land area is owned and controled by the Federal government.

--------------------

Sville
.400 member

#227595 - 27/03/13 07:29 AM

More forestry industrial landowners and government land in the north, smaller landowners in the south. The big companies and government owns 50% of land in Sweden.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #227610 - 27/03/13 11:19 AM

Poisoned grease balls or kiss your hunting goodbye.

We've been playing that game since the 50's. You can knock them down, but cannot poinson them to extinction. The only way is hunting them to extinction with dogs, but in this country, that is impossible.

We've proven you cannot poison them to extinction. Hunters, ranchers and the game branch tried that right here in BC in the 1950's - wholesale poisoning - poisoned baits all over the place - killing every animal or bird that ate another poisoned animal or wolf as well.

It was impossible - they developed the smarts necessary to only eat what they killed & never returned to a kill. This occurred after their numbers were reduced to a level that takes 20years to replenish- and replenish it did - by mid 1970's they turned into another scourge. Ranchers and hunters took care of that problem again and it's time to do it again.

I have been advised that used properly as in grease balls (frozen hamburger balls), 10/80 will be quite canine specific - dropped from aircraft into the middle of frozen lakes, large snow covered pastures and snow covered fields only. The smaller carnivorous animals like the cats, martin or fishers do not venture out into the wide open areas normally and will not be poisoned. An eagle, if eating a deal wolf, will become sick, not dead and will not eat another poisoned wolf.
I am regurgitating what I've learned from those who accomplished some good work.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Christmas hunt in Germany [Re: DarylS]
      #227649 - 28/03/13 04:03 AM

A friend of mine is a flint knapper. He saves a portion of his blood shot meat and places chips of obsidian into pieces of blood shot meat. While snowmobiling in the winter, when he cuts fresh wolf tracks he drops frozen chunks of blood shot meat with sharp shards of obsidian in them. The frozen meat is swallowed hole and the obsidian will slice up the digestive system while going through it.
Bob

Sville
.400 member

Re: Christmas hunt in Germany [Re: aromakr]
      #227652 - 28/03/13 04:52 AM

Could be a good idea? But probably we will kill some of our dogs and some Wildboars also. We have some of those methods here also .

9.3x57
.450 member

#227655 - 28/03/13 05:14 AM

From 1915 till 1930 the Federal Government waged what was called a "war" against depredating wolves. To give you some idea of the effort, in just one year, 1923, 3,567,000 poison baits were placed over 284,000 square miles of the American West. Every year it was the same; MASSIVE EFFORT.

Even so, wolves were not considered "controlled" until 1930, and were never exterminated at all.

There is no region on earth with similar terrain to Idaho's where wolves have been dramatically reduced in number by mere hunting and trapping and snaring.

Truly vast toxicant application would be necessary to gain the recovery of our herds. That is politically impossible.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4936

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com