Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Legislation" Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
"Legislation" Rifle
      #227021 - 15/03/13 01:34 PM

This is one of those projects that sprouts up while sitting around the fire. It helps that there is 9months of winter here and plenty of time to "wring ones hands" about firearms ideas.

Since the election of the current Regime in our goverment, there has been a major buying spree of firearms and items to feed them. Shortages abound and prices are in the gouge category. My brother and I where debating (that wringing hands around the fire thing) what rifle to have that will be easy to feed, powerful enough to hunt/defend with, legal, far down the "Abolish" list.

He thought of a few, the normal go-to .30-06, a .243, the proven 30/30....... I went into the vault (really a fortified room) and brought out a rather tired Ruger M77 in .308win. These are acceptable rifles. The .308win is not a favorite but would fit the bill. He somewhat agreed that it would fit the bill.

Later I traded into a bunch of reloading equipment, in there was a as new Redding form/trim 308win die. This stimulated the idea of a "Feed it with anything you find" rifle. I gather some range scrap, some split neck cases from the scrap bucket, as well as digging out a stash of fired .308win cases. I tuned the rifle and tested with a proven load. It will shoot about moa with the little 4x zeiss. With a zero and a accuracy record established the rifle is ready, now to see how obscure a supply of components I can compile.

I went to extremes here, they are left to right; .240wby, .25-06, .270win, .280rem, .30-06 then the next 3 are a 6.5x55, 7x57 and lastly on right is a 8x57. Here is a sequences of forming, cleaning and 4 I loaded to fire form. They are left to right; .243win, .240wby, .270win and the 8mm Mauser

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

Edited by Caprivi (15/03/13 03:00 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: "Legislation" Rifle [Re: Caprivi]
      #227034 - 15/03/13 09:17 PM

That's one hell of a project. Must be one hell of a winter too! What altitude are you at there?

Caprivi
.375 member

Re: "Legislation" Rifle [Re: HistoricBore]
      #227082 - 16/03/13 01:35 PM

Quote:

That's one hell of a project.

Already been a fun exercise. The rifle so far likes the 180gr Nosler Partition Protected Point with a top load of CFE223. The decrepid old barrel will do 2610fps and under moa. A handful are loaded and it is zeroed for that.

The 4 odd formed cases where shoot today. All worked fine and are not loaded with a top load to test again. That .240wby "pooched" out above the belt to fill the chamber as would be expected.
The lesson in it is that I could use them if had to, will probably stick with others as a failure would tie the rifle up for sometime.

In the "Feed it with anything you find" arena, those 4 formed cases where fireformed with Unique powder salavaged from some 20+year old shot shell reloads and the bullets where some pulled 150Speers from some odd un-know origin reloads, as where the primers.

Quote:

Must be one hell of a winter too! What altitude are you at there?

Yes it is, tiring for a old guy like me. Snowing again tonight. My home is at 5000ft, turn west out of my drive and it is all up for an hour to the Pass at 9666ft.

--------------------

HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: "Legislation" Rifle [Re: Caprivi]
      #227112 - 17/03/13 02:43 AM

Yes, I had a 'look' at you last night on Google Earth. Looks like a nice area, like Denver but without the crowds. I drove past in 1972.....

Caprivi
.375 member

Re: "Legislation" Rifle [Re: HistoricBore]
      #227125 - 17/03/13 06:15 AM

HistoricBore, Come on back and we will try to catch a Pronghorn.

Quote:

The 4 odd formed cases where shoot today. All worked fine and are not loaded with a top load to test again. That .240wby "pooched" out above the belt to fill the chamber as would be expected.
The lesson in it is that I could use them if had to, will probably stick with others as a failure would tie the rifle up for sometime.

In the "Feed it with anything you find" arena, those 4 formed cases where fireformed with Unique powder salavaged from some 20+year old shot shell reloads and the bullets where some pulled 150Speers from some odd un-know origin reloads, as where the primers

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2272

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com