Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Mauser M 12

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
aam
.224 member

Reged: 31/12/09
Loc: adelaide, s.a.
New Mauser M 12
      #226695 - 09/03/13 10:22 PM

Soon to be released new Mauser M 12.

http://mauser-m12.com/m12-success-down-the-line/

What are your thoughts? I know a lot of us want one of the original Mausers of the early 1900's, including me. Unfortunately they are few and far between and expensive. Do you think this rifle will be a hit? Just putting this out there.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
deepwoods
.275 member

Reged: 21/12/12
Loc: nh
Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: aam]
      #226799 - 11/03/13 12:29 PM

Looks to be a nice rifle but I wish they offered the m98 without all the engraving and gold trim. For what you'll pay for the m12 I'll bet you could pick up a nice broken in model B or type A made between the wars in 7x57 or 9.3x62 for about the same amount.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: deepwoods]
      #226812 - 11/03/13 04:32 PM

G'Day Fella's,

AAM, thank you for the Mauser link, it's a very nice rifle!

Unfortunately, "Multiple Lug" bolt to me means TWO!!!
So given this, I'll stick to my 90 Degree, Two Lug Turn Bolts!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: Homer]
      #226881 - 12/03/13 12:48 PM

Looks to be a cheaper version of the M03, without switchable barrels, bolt heads etc and with an improved safety which is a bolt head three position safety. Also designed to accept standard M98 mounts rather than the expensive M03 mounts.

Most of the calibres offered seem to be a limited range of standard American cartridges, so very ho hum, though perhaps the German website has a different Euro range.

I wonder who makes it? Whether it is a contracted out rifle, to keep the price down? Assuming it is cheaper and not even more expensive?

I think I would go for a standard M98 before this rifle anyday.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

deepwoods
.275 member

Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: NitroX]
      #226947 - 13/03/13 07:54 AM

It's hard to find US prices on Mauser's probably because they sell so little here, but when I have
found prices they usually seem to be in line with Sauer bolt rifles.

Wes350
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/08
Loc: CA,
      #227426 - 23/03/13 05:35 PM

Is it just me or does Mauser seem to have a 'anything but the model 98' philosophy as it has continued manufacturing rifles post WW2?

I wonder what thier reasoning is for that...

Tom30887
.275 member

Reged: 01/07/12
Loc: QLD
Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: Wes350]
      #227427 - 23/03/13 07:27 PM

I don't like it one bit.

I don't like the styling and curved checkering.

As soon as they said 60* bolt lift I was really tuned off. The reason gun makers turn to a 3 lug design with lugs that are the same Dia as the bolt body is nothing more than price cutting and short-cutting as they don't have to produce one of the hardest steps of a 2 lug action - broaching the raceways. The 'easy' way out is to advertise this as deliberate and done for a short bolt throw and quick follow up shots.... BS!

I also don't like the savage style extractor and plunger ejectors don't give you much control on ejecting a case.

Mauser I'm afraid went down hill after the M98.

Just my 20c worth.

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: Tom30887]
      #227432 - 23/03/13 10:43 PM

Kenny Jarrett once stated that the 3 lug design was much easier to make accurate that any 2 lug design. Jarrett's own rifle utilizes a 3 lug design. This six lug design is just an interrupted version of the same thing. I bet it is very strong. The Weatherby Mark V's are noted for their strength ( I still don't like them). Sako's have been using 3 lug designs for years now in both push feed(the Model 75) and control round feed (the Model 85) and they feed well and are some of the most accurate commercial sporter rifles out today. The Browning's also utilize a 3 lug design and are generally good rifles.

The 2 lug design has the advantage of extraction camming. A 10 to 1 extraction ratio versus a 6 to 1 ratio for a 3,6,or 9 lug design is a significant increase in extraction camming power. Handy if things go South.

The funny thing about German rifles is that I always see them at gunsmiths because the wrist always splits. Calibres don't seem to make much of difference, 30-06 or .375 H&H, they seem to split because of there being absolutely no clearance in the wood to metal fit. I personally will not buy a German rifle with a wooden stock because of this. Heym, Sauer, Mauser,or a high dollar custom, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Even the 30 K$ customs I have picked up at SCI have absolutely no provision for recoil, shrink, or swell. Things that hunting rifles will experience if they are carried afield.

deepwoods
.275 member

Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: albertan]
      #227613 - 27/03/13 11:41 AM

I read everything about it on their website, looks to be a decent rifle and without overdoing the engineering-(like removable bolt heads and interchangeable barrels) I kind of like it but I still wish it had a controlled round feed extractor. I would like to see and handle one to really judge.

Scrumbag
.224 member

Reged: 19/01/13
Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: Wes350]
      #228290 - 08/04/13 06:54 AM

Quote:

Is it just me or does Mauser seem to have a 'anything but the model 98' philosophy as it has continued manufacturing rifles post WW2?

I wonder what thier reasoning is for that...

In the UK a new 98 started at £10,000 (Yes ten thousand sterling or US$15,500). I think Mauser realise they can't compete with the likes of Voere & CZ on entry level 98s. Also, the 98 action is way out of copyright/patent so they can't charge royalties.

Just my 2c.

ATB,

Scrummy
(Owner of 98s in 7x64 (by Voere) and a 9.3x62 (FN Commercial) )

AndyB
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/12
Loc: Europe
Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: Scrumbag]
      #228323 - 08/04/13 08:11 PM

I think the mauser hunting weapons are produced at other plants than mauser's own, I watched this youtube documentary and since early 2000 mauser is under SIGARMS and using their own machinery for military arms.. Or something like that. I mostly remember I didnt like it.

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: albertan]
      #228456 - 10/04/13 06:42 AM

Quote:

Sako's have been using 3 lug designs for years now in both push feed(the Model 75) and control round feed (the Model 85) and they feed well and are some of the most accurate commercial sporter rifles out today.

Sako can call it whatever they want, the 85 is NOT a Controlled feed action. Controlled Push more like...

There is no replacement for the real thing, modern gimmick actions or not.

deepwoods
.275 member

Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: Fontainebleu]
      #228520 - 11/04/13 10:29 AM

Pretty darn hard to improve on Paul Mauser's design of the '98. The only modifications I can see is minor with the safety and bolt handle for low scope mounting clearance. Speaking of Sako, I have their latest catalogue and it states "controlled cartridge feed"
I have not put their action through feed test though.

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
      #228542 - 11/04/13 07:09 PM

Quote:

"controlled cartridge feed"

Nice try

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #228543 - 11/04/13 07:15 PM

Quote:

... without overdoing the engineering-(like removable bolt heads and interchangeable barrels)...

Why are those features "overdoing the engineering"?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

deepwoods
.275 member

Re: New Mauser M 12 [Re: NitroX]
      #229063 - 20/04/13 10:49 AM

What I mean't to say was more in the order that it seems Mauser today does not seem interested in offering a moderately priced rifle based on the '98 action. It seems some of their designs in the last 40 years have been engineered to come up with a different designed action than the '98. Was this really necessary and did customer demand cause this? Not that they are bad designs, but was it really advantageous to redesign it? Interchangable barrels and bolt faces are nice-yes for those that desire the feature. As we know companies continually "improve" their products. Sometimes we are misled by marketing that professes the new product is better than what it is replacing. And sometimes companies go back to their old designs because of customer demand such as the current Winchester model 70, and companies continually bringing back the 1911 pistol.

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
      #229066 - 20/04/13 11:10 AM

To generalise in a possibly scandalous manner;

The Germans are a nation of engineers. There is a constant desire to create and develop a concept or design to achieve an improvement.

Switch barrel rifles popular in European nations are generally designed in response to a local requirement. Something like a limitation in the number of firearms owned by a person, but the perfectly sensible acceptance that calibre isn't so important so if a person can switch barrels it makes life easier. The decocking device on the M03 is another example.

Apologies for the generalisation.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10208

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com