Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NitroX---Whitworth Express?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
NitroX---Whitworth Express?
      #22016 - 09/12/04 03:43 PM

Nitro, as I know you have a Whitworth Xpress in 375 I have a few questions about your rifle.
1..Is your rifle pommie built or US built?
2..Does it feed ok?
3..has it cracked the stock anywhere?
4..Does it have an extra recoil lug under the barrel?
5..Do you know its weight without scope?
Thanks

Edited by 4seventy (09/12/04 04:57 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: 4seventy]
      #22040 - 10/12/04 12:46 AM

1..Is your rifle pommie built or US built?
Not sure. It has Interarms, Alexandria Virginia AND Manchester England on the action. Plus made in Yugoslavia as it is a Mark X action.

2..Does it feed ok?
Not as good as it should. It needs some work.

3..has it cracked the stock anywhere?
No.

4..Does it have an extra recoil lug under the barrel?
No.

5..Do you know its weight without scope?
9 lbs with bases.

The thread on the barrel was cut at an angle and the stock made to fit the angled barrel. I had to either use mounts with windage or as I had done in the end, special angled bases made to use a scope with it. Bob de Vries made up new 'crooked' bases similar to Warnes but with grooves to allow use of open sights.

It is very accurate and when I shoot well enough can cut a 1/3 to 1/2 MOA 3 shot group with Woodleigh 300 grainers.

Photos from the 2003 NitroExpress.com Big Bore Boar Hunt

I believe Mike has a Whitworth as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: NitroX]
      #22046 - 10/12/04 05:36 AM

I have a Whitworth Express in 375 H&H. It has the same markings as yours. I believe they were imported into the U.S. by Interarms. The actions were manufactured in Yugoslavia, and I'm not sure, but I believe the barrels were from Manchester. They were, to the best of my knowledge, assembled in Yugoslavia for export.

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #22053 - 10/12/04 09:15 AM

Mike, have you shot your whitworth much, and what do you think of it?

John, I see some of these whitworths have barrel band swivels and others like yours have them in the forend.
Also some have two stockbolts and others one.
Must be a few variations.
Do they have british proof marks?

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #22062 - 10/12/04 02:15 PM

I shoot all my guns a lot, and this one is no exception. It shoots moa. It has a barrel band and 2 crossbolts.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #22063 - 10/12/04 03:59 PM

Alan

I have had two Whitworths in .375 and they both shot exceedingly well. I have never heard of one that didn't. In the US they can be had for $600-700.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #22066 - 10/12/04 05:10 PM

Nitro X:

I had a .375 Whitworth for awhile 25 years ago. It got stolen and I never got around to replacing it. I've been looking for one again lately and the picture of yours has me confused. Your rifle bears only a slight resemblence to the one I had and I'm wondering if we're talking about two different models here.

If memory serves, Interarms offered a Mark X in .375, and also the Whitworth (built on the same action). Does yours say Whitworth on it somewhere, or does it say Mark X? Mine had Whitworth, Manchester on top of the receiver ring. Is the bottom of your bolt knob flat and checkered, or is it round? The cross-section of your fore-end is certainly different from the one I had and mine did have two cross bolts. There is something different about your bottom metal and your trigger is definitely of a different shape. Never saw a Whitworth with a fore-end mounted sling swivel before. All I've ever seen had barrel bands. Rusty just bought one that someone had removed the barrel band from and had moved the front swivel to the fore-end, but it originally had one. Otherwise, this rifle is pretty much as I remember mine. I wonder if Interarms sort of merged the Mark X and the Whitworth models towards the end of their run?

I bought mine new in the box in 1978, but bought it for a friend who wanted one badly and lived out of town. I bought it from him about a year later, after he had had a rather nasty accidental discharge with it and was ready to give it away. I got it for $150. He had it out on a deer hunt (it was the only rifle he owned at the time) and it snowed on us, a rare enough thing in our part of Texas. We weren't prepared for that kind of cold and he hadn't brought gloves. He came back into camp after the evening hunt the first night with hands too numb to trust himself to unload, so he stood over the fire and thawed 'em. Once he got warmed up, he unslung the rifle, pointed the muzzle down at the fire, and pushed the safety forward to unload. The muzzle blast probably scattered the camp fire as much as the 300 grain soft did, and burning embers fell out of the sky on everything, including the roof of the tent. It warmed up the next day to just above freezing and the next night it rained. We didn't have any duct tape with us to patch the dozen or so holes in the roof with. Miserable week-end. He was badly shaken and really mad. He sold me the rifle on the way home.

I checked it out when I got it home. He had the trigger adjusted down to 3 pounds. With the pull at that weight, when the trigger was pulled with the safety ON, the sear would slip slightly with a barely audible click. The striker would then fall when the safety was pushed forward. Adjusted back to a heavier pull, the safety worked fine. He must have snagged the trigger on a limb while he had the rifle slung. I took it back to the dealer that I got it from - who cheerfully fixed it for free!
----------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Edited by 400NitroExpress (10/12/04 05:26 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #22067 - 10/12/04 05:30 PM

Alan

I believe they are British Proof marks but really don't know. I would have to post a photo.

I purchased mine for $1100 second hand which I think was a good price. Cerainly cheaper than what I was looking at at the time. Mickey's prices might be the USA prices but an absolute steal here.

400NE

"If memory serves, Interarms offered a Mark X in .375, and also the Whitworth (built on the same action). Does yours say Whitworth on it somewhere, or does it say Mark X? Mine had Whitworth, Manchester on top of the receiver ring. "

It has Whitworth by itself in an oval ring on top of the receiver.

"Is the bottom of your bolt knob flat and checkered, or is it round? "

Flat and checkered.

"The cross-section of your fore-end is certainly different from the one I had and mine did have two cross bolts. There is something different about your bottom metal and your trigger is definitely of a different shape. Never saw a Whitworth with a fore-end mounted sling swivel before. All I've ever seen had barrel bands. Rusty just bought one that someone had removed the barrel band from and had moved the front swivel to the fore-end, but it originally had one. "

I wonder if Interarms sort of merged the Mark X and the Whitworth models towards the end of their run?"

This rifle was second hand so who knows? But I believe it is original. My understanding is there is considerable variation in "Whitworths" and they were cobbled up differently over time. Variation in quality too. The barrel thread on mine is atrocious AND the stock was made to fit. The bases have fixed the problem with a scope. With open sights no problem. Other than that it isn't too bad and better styled than many other rifles especially for the price. Feeding 300 gr RNs isn't as good as it should be and needs to be cleaned up. My trigger is light around 3 lbs but I have had no problems.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #22073 - 10/12/04 06:13 PM

In about 1978 we ordered in 20 Interarms Whitworths and twenty Mark X Alaskans. Ten of the Whitworths were 375 and the other ten were in 458 Win; the MK Xs were all 375. About one out of three of any of these guns would exhibit feeding problems.

I presently have a MK X Alaskan in 375 that I bought for $450.00 two years ago. It won't feed for shit with 3 down but is fine with 2 down. This is pretty much what we found in 1978, also. I couldn't resist sinking my $$$ into this gun just to re-learn what I already knew.

The Express Mdls all had barrel bands, but I don't remember about the recoil lugs...I think it was one...

I have to say that this MK X is a tack driver. I had a Pachmeyer pivot mount from an old shot out FN I traded off about 25 years ago; it fit the MK X perfectly and is holding onto a 2x7 Leupold. I'd like the heck out of this gun if someone were to get it to feed from a full magazine.

My understanding of the MK X and Whitworth guns is that the barreled actions were made in Yugoslavia, and the guns were finished in Birmingham...this is not gospel...

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #22088 - 11/12/04 03:23 AM

4seventy , I posted to you on the other string on Blazer Doubles, but will add some here!

First off the actions are made on FN machinery bought dirrectly from FN. Interarms imported all the JUGO MK X actioned rifle to the states. The actual Whitworth African Express rifles were barreled , finished, and stocked in Mannchester. The African express rifles all had barrel mounted sling swivels,ONE cross bolt, and a SECOND recoil lug about 4" forward of the reciever ring on the bottom of the barrel. All were fitted with one standing, and two folding express sights, and a hooded front sight. The wood stocks were fitted with a Simulated ebony foreend tip, and a red recoil pad. the stocks were configured so the irons could be used easily. I have two of these rifle as we speak, and have owned them in all the chamberings they came in. Most people do not know the African exp, also came in 7mm Rem Mag. and these are rare, the other chamberings were 375 H&H, and 458 Win Mag. I have never had a problem with any that I have owned. The all have fed like quicksilver. The problem NitroX is haveing is a weak mag spring, and that rifle was one of the INTERARMS Alaskan MK Xs that was put together when the parts were no longer available from YUGO!

Interarms bought some left over Whitworth actions to finish out their run. The Interarms MK Xs were barreled in the USA, and had none of the things the true Whiteworth rifle have. The recoil lug on the barrel, swivel on the barrel, and most were fitted with aluminum WILLIAMS adjustable rear sight.

As I stated in my other post, I fitted all mine with timeny triggers, and Mod seventy type safeties. I had zero trouble out of any to these rifle, but all were true Whitworths. I changed the triggers, and safeties because I'd heard of folks haveing truble with the triggers, so I changed them, before I had a problem that would cost me more than money!

I like these rifles, and wish I could still get new ones here in the USA. The Interarms MK X Alaskan don't care for!

I EDITED THIS POST TO CLEAR UP THE CROSS BOLT ISSUE! THE WHITWORTH HAS OBLY ONE CROSS BOLT! SORRY ABOUT THAT!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Edited by DUGABOY1 (12/12/04 05:44 AM)

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #22106 - 11/12/04 09:43 AM

Thanks everyone for your response to this.
It sure seems like the Whitworth is good value for the money, and thanks to this thread, I have learned a lot more about them.
I must admit that I'm still not feeling quite right about the fact that I've bought one though.
I broke several of my own rules with this purchase.
First, I did not intend buying ANY more rifles for a while.
Second, I swore that I would only use doubles for the rest of my hunting life.
Third, I bought the rifle sight unseen.
The main problem with number 3 is that I usually won't buy any rifle untill I've handled it to see whether I do really want the thing but more important to check the "feel and fit." Bit like choosing a woman!

Anyway, I should have it in my hands before Xmas if the paperwork goes through ok.
A friend, who does know what he's looking at regarding rifles and especially mausers says it appears to be unfired and in excellent condition.
I really don't need it and am not sure if I will get to use it much as thesedays I would much rather use a double.
But I have a "special" birthday happening in a few days time so I guess I'm allowed to buy myself a little present like this?

By the way, anyone who visits here regularly should have little trouble guessing the chambering!

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #22108 - 11/12/04 09:56 AM

I have a Whitworth that I bought used. It is a 375 H&H.

It is a great shooter. My only regret is that I did not know that the barrel band swivel had been removed. I'm look'n for another.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: Rusty]
      #22110 - 11/12/04 10:30 AM

Rusty,
Thanks for the photos.
Looks nice!
Checkering appears to be quite fine.
What scope mounts are those?
Are you sure the barrel band was removed or could your rifle be like Nitro's where the swivel is also in the wood?

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #22122 - 11/12/04 02:14 PM

The scope mounts are Leupolds. yes it was made with a barrel band the little detent on top of the barrel is still there.

The rifle is lighter than my Mod. 70 Safari Express 375 H&H.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#22135 - 12/12/04 05:38 AM

4seventy, I have to make a retraction on my other post!

THE WHITWORTH HAS ONLY "ONE" CROSS BOLT, NOT TWO! I was sitting looking at my open vault door, and happened to be looking at a FN Mauser,which has two cross bolts, instead of one of my Whitworths. The Whitworths have one cross bolt, and a recoil lug 4" forward of the reciever ring, on the bottom of the barrel. This forward lug should be only supported with Glass beding on it's back side, and free floating on the sides, and front!

Sorry about that folks! I will edit my origenal pst to correct this mistake!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

luv2safari
.400 member

#22148 - 12/12/04 02:16 PM

Did you also know that the recoil lug caps are glued into the stock...honest...and some have been known to fall out.

--------------------

Edited by luv2safari (12/12/04 02:17 PM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: luv2safari]
      #22164 - 13/12/04 04:06 AM

In reply to:

Did you also know that the recoil lug caps are glued into the stock...honest...and some have been known to fall out.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying! What is a recoil lug "CAP"? Are saying the forward recoil lug is is glued on the barrel? If so that is not true, the block is made of aluminum, and is fitted to the barrel with screws. The through bolt for the action recoil lug is steel, and is a true through bolt! The galssing as a backing for the forward recoil lug is aacra-glass

--------------------

luv2safari
.400 member

#22291 - 16/12/04 02:47 PM

Sorry... Time to move to a better box wine...

I mean the cross bolt cap...at least on the Alaskan...and they didn't use very good glue.

By the way, can one buy wine in a plastic lined box in OZ?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: luv2safari]
      #22301 - 16/12/04 11:44 PM

In reply to:

By the way, can one buy wine in a plastic lined box in OZ?

We invented them.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#22303 - 16/12/04 11:49 PM

Alan

It would be good to hear about your actual rifle when it is in your hands.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

4seventy
Sponsor

#22480 - 21/12/04 01:16 PM

Well I picked up the Whitworth Express yesterday afternoon.
Nice rifle and in very good condition, every chance that it has not been fired.
Length of pull is right and the rifle comes up with the standing sight and foresight aligned.
So I should be happy right?
Well, after playing with the Whitworth for a little while I soon realized that while it is a nice english style big bore bolt action, I am too far down the double rifle road to turn back.
Bolt action rifles just don't do it for me anymore.
Anyone want to buy a Whitworth Express?
Cal is 458 Win Mag and could be quite easily rechambered to 458 Lott if anyone wanted to.

4seventy
Sponsor

#22578 - 24/12/04 12:02 AM

In reply to:

Anyone want to buy a Whitworth Express?

Just kidding!
Actually I'm starting to like it a bit more now.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #22579 - 24/12/04 12:09 AM

Yeah, but those turnbolts will give you a bad case of tennis elbow if you crank them too much.

CptCurl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: CptCurl]
      #22628 - 25/12/04 08:50 AM

I have owned and shot a lot of Whitworths and I have never seen one that didn't shoot exceptionally well..I think they simply have good barrels...I usually glass bedded them, installed a Blackburn trigger, a M-70 safty...They are a great rifle...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: NitroX---Whitworth Express? [Re: atkinson6]
      #22661 - 25/12/04 03:10 PM

Alan

Having fixed the crooked barrel thread issue I am more than happy with mine.

Don't expect the stock to crack as it has a nice straight grain. And it is only a .375 afterall.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18222

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com