Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Finally found a Colt Official Police. Only took three years.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Finally found a Colt Official Police. Only took three years.
      #226549 - 07/03/13 01:34 PM

So a couple nights ago I learn that I have a little over $600.00 in my Toy Account (i.e, saving account). Hooray says I. Yesterday after several hours of working out in the yard I decide to treat myself and take a quick drive over to my favorite LGS ( Boulevard Gun & Pawn ) and see what they have in stock. He's always good for classic revolvers. I've gotten some great six shooters from him in the past such as a Pre-war S&W Heavy Duty and a pre-war OM Target.

My wife asks if I'm going to be buying anything. I respond with total sincerity "Oh no honey. The only thing I'm wanting right now for my collection is a Colt Official Police with a 4" barrel. I have yet to find one of those for sale here in the area. I'm just killing time." I really meant it by the way. I had begun to consider buying an OP from the Internet while I still can.

Well obviously you can guess the rest. I walk in and what should I see in the display case but an Official Police with a 4" barrel. The stars had aligned themselves. The owner's wife gets it out for me and I check it out. There is holster wear, but no pitting or rust. I found myself wondering if it had been either a cop or security guard's revolver at one time. The bore is nice and clean. Timing is on - very nice lock-up. Serial number is 601XXX giving it a date of birth sometime in 1936. Above the serial number is a T - which I understand means Targeted. Which Colt would do to all revolvers ordered by police and other governmental agencies. So it really was a Cop Gun at one time.The story might not be accurate, but it's a neat story. Carried often and not shot all that much. My suspicion about the holster wear makes sense.

The sticker price was $450.00. I haggled with the owner for a few minutes and he came down to $400.00 + tax. Bringing the final price to $425.00. Not bad. I can live with it. Yes I probably would have paid $350.00 three months ago, but can't be helped. I whip out the credit card and go home with my Official Police. Finally I now have one in my little collection of Colt handguns. But it's one that I've been wanting for many years now. Even more than the Python if you can believe that. I know that some will say that the OP is just a plain Jane utilitarian revolver, but it's a great find for me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Finally found a Colt Official Police. Only took three years. [Re: Checkman]
      #226569 - 08/03/13 03:12 AM

I have a Colt Police Positive .38SPL - looks very similar to this one - they are really nice guns to shoot - the DA is very smooth and drops the hammer without any twitch. Shooting these guns develops an understanding in why Ed McGivern liked one in his left hand.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Finally found a Colt Official Police. Only took three years. [Re: DarylS]
      #226574 - 08/03/13 04:32 AM

Nice find.

I owned a OP for a number of years. An old nickel plated, 5" barrel gun stamped Detroit police dept. I bought it from the widow of a Detroit copper who was issued it in the '40's. Should have kept it.

Daryl the Police Positive is indeed like it, except smaller frame. Innards are pretty much the same.

I like the DA pull on the Army Special/Official Police/Python {all the same guts}.

I dumped all my wheelguns except for my .44 a while back and only have autos now, but I had a lot of fun with a S&W Model 10 collection, etc.

Don't see too many Colts.

If Colt revved up and restarted making the New Service I'd start buying wheelguns again...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Finally found a Colt Official Police. Only took three years. [Re: 9.3x57]
      #226578 - 08/03/13 04:52 AM

--------------------
Daryl

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Finally found a Colt Official Police. Only took three years. [Re: DarylS]
      #226610 - 08/03/13 12:01 PM

I'm playing with the idea of putting Pachmyers on my OP for shooting purposes. The old Colt service grips look great on the revolver, but they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to actual shooting and I don't have large hands.

Checkman
.333 member

#226611 - 08/03/13 12:05 PM

Quote:

Nice find.

I owned a OP for a number of years. An old nickel plated, 5" barrel gun stamped Detroit police dept. I bought it from the widow of a Detroit copper who was issued it in the '40's. Should have kept it.

Daryl the Police Positive is indeed like it, except smaller frame. Innards are pretty much the same.

I like the DA pull on the Army Special/Official Police/Python {all the same guts}.

I dumped all my wheelguns except for my .44 a while back and only have autos now, but I had a lot of fun with a S&W Model 10 collection, etc.

If Colt revved up and restarted making the New Service I'd start buying wheelguns again...

I like those old Detroit PD models. I love the fact that Detroit used to issue revolvers with a nickle finish. I have vauge memories of going to visit my grandparents in Detroit in the seventies (I was actually born there. My mother born and raised. Moved to Idaho in 69 when I was couple years old). I recall seeing Detroit cops and marveling at how "shiney" their revolvers were. What can I say except that I was very young.

DarylS
.700 member

#226657 - 09/03/13 06:18 AM

The 'Pachmyers' make it a very nice plinking gun, but I keep the loads to the older, 850fps/158gr. RN or SWC level. My hands are much to large for the factory grips.

These revolvers make VERY good aerial shooting guns.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #226679 - 09/03/13 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice find.

I like those old Detroit PD models. I love the fact that Detroit used to issue revolvers with a nickle finish. I have vauge memories of going to visit my grandparents in Detroit in the seventies (I was actually born there. My mother born and raised. Moved to Idaho in 69 when I was couple years old). I recall seeing Detroit cops and marveling at how "shiney" their revolvers were. What can I say except that I was very young.

I owned two DPD .45 Colts. One was a 6" bbl nickel plated 25-5 and the other a 4" bbl blued 25-5. I worked in a gun store St Clair Shores and we sold lots of .45 Colt ammo to Detroit coppers. That gun had a certain following for some years due to the ruling by "Soulman" Young that...except for his bodyguards...no LEO's could carry JHP ammo. This then made the use of auto pistols less desirable.

I sold those revolvers some years ago. They were not marked DPD as they were individual purchases as were all of the .45 Colts.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Checkman
.333 member

#226685 - 09/03/13 03:59 PM

Ah yes Coleman Young. Wow what an outright thief he was. And the good citizens of Detroit loved him. Well at least those who were paid to mess with the ballots on election day.

You know my dad met mom in Detroit after he got back from Vietnam. He was actually from Tennessee, but .....well it's a long story how he ended up there. Anyway family legend says that when he started testing for the Detroit PD in 68/69 Mom decided it was time to move. Far far away. So they ended up in Idaho (another long story) and dad ended up getting on with the Idaho State Police. Better than the Detroit PD though. Much better.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #226940 - 13/03/13 05:54 AM

Looks great and very well proportioned. I especially like the grips - much more appealing to my eye than the later 'hand filling' grips. Love the early sixguns, both Colt and Smith.

nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
      #233336 - 01/08/13 10:28 PM

Neat gun, love those OP's I have one in 22 from 1933.

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Finally found a Colt Official Police. Only took three years. [Re: nhdblfan]
      #236864 - 18/10/13 05:55 PM

Are those grips Ropers?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3705

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com