Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Oberndorf Type C Questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Even
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/12
Loc: Canada
Oberndorf Type C Questions
      #226385 - 04/03/13 10:02 AM

Gentlemen...edify me!

I am curious about the Oberndorf Type C mausers. I know they were a "cheap" rifle, built on military actions, but there really isn't a lot of information on them floating around out there in internet land.

How common are they? From the lack of references, I'm guessing not very.

How collectible are they? Worth holding as an investment? Value?

I have been trying to find a copy of Mr. Speed's book, but they aren't easy to find at a reasonable price anymore. Bleh.

Any information you can give me would be appreciated. I like the look of the ones I've seen, and they look like they would be a very practical hunting rifle.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
deepwoods
.275 member

Reged: 21/12/12
Loc: nh
Re: Oberndorf Type C Questions [Re: Even]
      #226389 - 04/03/13 11:29 AM

They were offered in 7x57, 7.65x53, 8x57, and 9x57. They are excellent quality rifles as would be expected of Oberndorf. They were produced to offer a lower cost rifle to the public and also to military customers. They were produced using military stepped barrels and usually military floor plates magazine boxes and triggerguards as well as military type tangent sights. Also round bottom pistol grip military type stocks were used (walnut)-made to a sporting length with checkering usually only on the pistol grip, and they can have pear shaped bolt handles or military type. They also have a rear sling swivel of a military type similar to a winchester model 70 supergrade. I own two, one in 8x57s and one in 7.65x53. They are fine rifles and have a rugged feel to them. I shoot the 8x57s and intend on doing some deer hunting with it. There does not seem to be very many available in the U.S. for sale. They don't have the elegance of a model B, M, S, or type A. But they are fine rifles. You are right there does not seem to be too much info on them on the net. Maybe because they do'nt seem to be that common. Overall when you put one up to your shoulder they don't really feel much different than a pre wwI model B and they are less expensive.

Edited by deepwoods (04/03/13 11:36 AM)

deepwoods
.275 member

Re: Oberndorf Type C Questions [Re: deepwoods]
      #226390 - 04/03/13 11:42 AM

Just to also add basically very similar to pre WWI model B with a tangent rear sight. Except you would notice the steps in the barrel contour and the military type front sight.

Even
.300 member

#226452 - 05/03/13 05:47 PM

Excellent info there, sir...thank you for the help. Apologies for the late response, I'm working dayshift at the moment.

Were any produced in 30-06 that you are aware of? The picture I'm thinking of had the Oberndorf semi-circular cutout on the reciever ring for the longer rounds. At least I think it was done by Oberndorf...but again, not a lot of information available :/ It would seem to make sense, as a military sporter to have the caliber available, but its not European either.

You information on the feel of the rifle is excellent, thank you. The one I have seen looks like it would be close in heft and balance and point-ability to a Type B, and I was curious about that.

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: Oberndorf Type C Questions [Re: Even]
      #226461 - 05/03/13 11:20 PM

The Type C was produced in 30-06. Send your email and I can forward some photos of my 1912 Type C.

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: Oberndorf Type C Questions [Re: dons]
      #226467 - 06/03/13 03:14 AM

@ Even

Look there and scroll down nearly completely.

http://www.martiniandhagngunmakers.com/forsale_rifles.htm

Edited by justcurious (06/03/13 03:15 AM)

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Oberndorf Type C Questions [Re: justcurious]
      #226472 - 06/03/13 04:27 AM

I'd say that rifle is well worth 1,000 CAD.

There's a very sweet Holland Farquharson in .240 Apex up near the top of the page along with a couple of interesting double rifles, aswell.

deepwoods
.275 member

Re: Oberndorf Type C Questions [Re: mckinney]
      #226589 - 08/03/13 07:20 AM

Yes looks like a nice example of the army model C-as you can see from the pictures the quick way to tell is the stepped barrel. I have never seen one in 30-06 but the roll stamp on the ring does'nt lie when it says "U.S. 1906". It has the k98 type front sight and mauser checkering but does not have the tangent rear sight. It is possible that it was changed out after it left the factory or came from the factory that way. Hard to tell from the pics but it may be a 1 standing 2 folding rear sight. All the examples I have seen have the military type tangent sight.

deepwoods
.275 member

#226591 - 08/03/13 07:22 AM

Would be nice to have one in 30-06 but I would not want to deal with importing a rifle into the Peoples Republic of America-just kidding.

Even
.300 member

#227421 - 23/03/13 09:58 AM

Thank you very much for the help, Gentlemen. You guys are awesome! A special thanks to Dons, for his excellent pictures and sage advice.

That Martini and Hagn rifle was exactly the one I was thinking of

However, and in the long run I might regret it, but a lovely Type B in exactly the caliber I wanted dropped into my lap on the morning I was about to call Mr. Martini...

So its going to have to wait...sigh. Its like a feast out there, isn't it? You can only eat so much at one time

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4743

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com