Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Trapdoor 45/70

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Trapdoor 45/70
      #225420 - 17/02/13 06:21 AM

Hello, I have a Trapdoor model 1873, ser# dates it to 1883. I am told these rifles have a 22 inch twist and were made to shoot a 405 grain bullet. I am looking to buy a mold and am trying to choose between the Lee 457-405 and Lee 459-405 HB. I also have the Trapdoor model 1884 and it is supposed to shoot 500 grain bullets. Did They change the twist to accomodate the longer, heavier bullet? I have a Lyman 500 grain mold already. Both of thes gun have bright shiney bores with excellent rifling and no I have not slugged either one. I will only be shooting BP in these guns and would appreciate any tips, Thanks, Ed

--------------------
Longknife

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Trapdoor 45/70 [Re: Longknife]
      #225428 - 17/02/13 11:51 AM

Quote:

Hello, I have a Trapdoor model 1873, ser# dates it to 1883. I am told these rifles have a 22 inch twist and were made to shoot a 405 grain bullet. I am looking to buy a mold and am trying to choose between the Lee 457-405 and Lee 459-405 HB. I also have the Trapdoor model 1884 and it is supposed to shoot 500 grain bullets. Did They change the twist to accomodate the longer, heavier bullet? I have a Lyman 500 grain mold already. Both of thes gun have bright shiney bores with excellent rifling and no I have not slugged either one. I will only be shooting BP in these guns and would appreciate any tips, Thanks, Ed

Hi Ed - first thing I'd do is to slug the barrels of both rifles and record that data.

Also- put a tight patch on a jag and measure the twist yourself. It's easy. - Push the patch into the bore an inch to a couple inches, then put a piece of tape around the rod at the muzzle and one at the handle - black pen mark at exactly bottom dead centre on the tape at the handle. Push the rod into the barrel until the black mark on the paper is exactly at the top dead centre on the rod, ie: the rod has rotated 180 degrees. Put another piece of tape on the rod at the muzzle, front edge contacting the muzzle as before, around the rod. Pull the rod out and measure between the edges of the tape that touched the muzzle, both times to get 1/2 the twist rate. Multiply X 2 = the rate of twist for that barrel. Do this with both rifles. If you mark the top dead centre with a rifle length barrel, not a carbine, you can shove the rod into the muzzle until the pen mark it top dead centre on the rod - ie; 1 full rotation.

I was under the impression that all Trapdoors, from 1873 to 1884, were all 22" twists- perhaps the later ones were increased, I do not know this as fact. Your results will be interesting, so please let us know.

You'll probably want your cast bullet to be .001" to .002" larger than the groove diameter. You will want to use something like SPG or Lyman's Black Powder Gold for lube. The bore is important only if you was using a long nosed bullet like the #457125 Lyman mould, with the bore riding nose. The nose usualy has to be fairly snug in the bore, for that bullet to shoot really well.

Some bullets have shorter nose sections, like the gas check Lee 500gr. mould, but if the nose is 'just' touching the lands, that's better then being sloppy, even on that bullet. The RCBS 500gr., 400gr. and 300gr. moulds have very short noses that do not ride on the lands, but the long bullet shank that must be seating inside the case takes up a lot of powder space.

Lee has an intermediate bullet with a flat base - a 460gr. which might suit both rifles?

If you are needed a .459" or .460" bullet, the Lee moulds might not cast large enough.
In that case, the cheapest mould that will most likely work, is the Lee 400gr. HB mould, but the bullets will most likely have to be case out of 20:1 tin to lead to allow expansion of the base to fill the grooves - it's all experimentation.

Few years back, a fellow won the Quigley match at Hefley Creek Rendezvous in BC, with an original Trapdoor 1884 Model. The contest was offhand, 10 shots at a steel plate some 750yards up on the side of the hill - actual range, perhaps 600 to 620yards - just a guess. The plate appeared to be 6' X 4' rectangular. He hit it 6 times out of his 10 shots with the rifle's original Buffington battle sight and blade front sight. I think his bullet was the 500gr. Lyman bullet, #457125. Some of those moulds are good while some of them cast undersized bullets. It's a crap shoot.

Further note about moulds that I just thought should be noted here is that the Lee mould bullets do not have very large lube grooves and will not hold enough lube to keep the fouling soft. Your bores will most likely foul excessively and probably lead badly as well.

I would have a look at Buffalo Arms for moulds that are designed for shooting black powder. They will have large, square lube grooves, not narrow, rounded ones like smokeless powder cast bullet moulds have.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
      #225429 - 17/02/13 11:56 AM

I have flaunted with the 45/70 on and off. Of late I have been playing with a 1874 Shiloh Sharps. A friend has convinced me to try his load of a 500gr paper patched bullet with 70grs FF in my hoarded nickel plated R-P cases. These are the best I have ever tried in this rifle. 5shot ragged hole at 100yds. I would not consider anything but Black gun powder in a trapdoor, no matter what anyone wants to tell you. And for a Black load, it is tough to beat a proper paper patch load. I have a line on a original 420gr Sharps mould and will be trying the Sharps company load of "45/75-420".......also a good load to try, of which I have used the 405 LEE bullet cast with wheel weights, is the Springfield Cadet load of "45/55-405". It is a sweet shooting load, in a light weight Trapdoor carbine they would be correct and fun to shoot.

In a Rguer or a marlin load it how ever you want, with whatever bullets. But in a Sharps or a Rollingblock or in your Trapdoors, a quality lead bullet with black powder is the way to go, in my humble opinion.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Trapdoor 45/70 [Re: Caprivi]
      #225459 - 18/02/13 03:35 AM

I agree as Paper Patched bullets did well in both my Sharps and Rolling Blocks over the years - 4 different guns. I believe there is a considerably longer learning curve using paper patched bullets due to the need of lube balls, special wads to allow powder flame mixing with the lube, etc. We had really good results with this, aka Paul Mathews in "The Paper Jacket" and "Loading The Black Powder Rifle Cartridge".
Both are very good books to have whether you shoot grooved lubricated or PP bullets.

--------------------
Daryl

Caprivi
.375 member

Re: Trapdoor 45/70 [Re: DarylS]
      #225461 - 18/02/13 03:48 AM

Agrred Daryl......thou it was instant success for me, as I used a proven set up.

"My" load is a Fed 215 primer, 70grs Goex FFg, .050 card, .100 grease cookie, 500gr Hoch nose pour 1-14lead/tin, 9lb 35% rag paper in Nickled R-P cases. I have shot 18 rounds at one time (all I had) without having to clean it. Cleaning it is a patch or mop with a bit of non-ammonia dish soap. Takes 2 minutes, stand the rifle by the wood stove to dry (or set in the Sun in summer) and it is ready for the next session.

Don't forget to look at Orville Loomer's book as well. Actually I think it is far advanced of Paul's works. I knew Paul as I lived in Pa, not 100miles from him. He helped me with my first ever 45/70, a old re-barreled Rolling Block. I know Orville as well as he lives just down the road.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (27/02/13 11:18 PM)

Longknife
.333 member

#225534 - 19/02/13 04:34 AM

Thank for the help Guys. Daryl, I did check the 1873 when I got it a few years ago and did come up with 1-22. I haven't checked the 1884 as it belongs to my Son. I was surprised to read that they recommended a heavier bullet in the '84 and wondered if the twist spec had been changed. I will have him bring it over and I will check the twists and slug'em both, hope to get a load that works in both!!!! Cap, I do know that paper patched bullets can be very accurate (after all that what Quigley used!) but am not ready to get into that yet....Thanks again,,,,Ed

--------------------
Longknife

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #225632 - 20/02/13 07:02 PM

Daryl & Caprivi,

Your enthusiasm for these old smoke poles is contagious. That was excellent advice and a good read.

Longknife
.333 member

Re: Trapdoor 45/70 [Re: albertan]
      #225792 - 23/02/13 03:46 AM

Checke the 1884 and it does have a 1-22 twist also. Slogged 'em both and they are a little oversize, it is very difficult to get and accurate measurement with 3 groove rifling but determined that both barrel have a .460 groove dia. The lands are much harder to measure but by comparing bullet fit at the muzzle, a .449 bullet slips in easily, with room to spare. I would say they are both at least few thousands over .450....Ed

--------------------
Longknife

DarylS
.700 member

#225803 - 23/02/13 08:56 AM

With a 3 or 5 groove, about all one can do is to measure max size on a lead slug bumped up inside the bore. That's worked OK for me in the past.

An over sized long-sided bullet might be the best bet due to the large bore. That is, unless Buffalo Bullet company or some other can provide a mould casting the correct size.

I'm not surprised about the 22" twist, actually as I don't remember reading otherwise. The old fellow at Hefley Creek Rendezvous who won several years in a row in the Quigley shoot with his 1884 Springfield was shooting the 500gr. 'Government' bullet. Trouble with that one from Lyman, is they sometimes cast undersized. He was shooting the battle sights - range about 750yards, but uphill at about a 30 degree angle. Actual range? - need a mathematician - that far is good enough for me as long as I get some sighters.

If at .459" and fairly soft 50:50 WW/Pure, they will probably slug up (obturate) and shoot well with real BP.

--------------------
Daryl

Caprivi
.375 member

#225818 - 23/02/13 10:28 AM

Quote:

If at .459" and fairly soft 50:50 WW/Pure, they will probably slug up (obturate) and shoot well with real BP.

Or a hollow base pure lead paper patch bullet :):)

--------------------

Longknife
.333 member

#226477 - 06/03/13 05:52 AM

Got my 405 HB Lee mold today, I'll let everyone know how it works out!!! Thanks for all the help....ED

--------------------
Longknife

Longknife
.333 member

#226479 - 06/03/13 06:18 AM

Here is an interesting read, about testing the 45-70 trapdoors in 1879 which resulted in the Gov. going to a 500 grain bullet..."45-70 at Two Miles: The Sandy Hook Tests of 1879
by W. John Farquharson"...In the test they used faster twist barrels than the old 1-22, to stabilize the longer bullet. here is the exact quote...

"The report of November 13, 1879, lists the results of firing tests made at 3,500 yards distance with two long range Springfields. One had a rifle barrel with a l-in-18 rifling twist, the other .45-80-500 had a 19 5/8-inch twist. Two different loads were used: .45-70-500, and .45-80-500. The Martini-Henry .45-85-480 and the service .45-70-405 Springfields were again tested against a Sharps-Borchardt using the same loads as in the long range M-1873 Allin-Springfields. After firing many rounds, the service Springfield and Martini-Henry rounds failed to reach the target at 3,500 yards."

Here is the complete article:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sharpsshtr/CritterPhotos/SandyHook/SandyHook.html

I find it odd that a faster twist would not have been incorporated into the 1884 production guns to properly stabilize the new 500 grain bullets as tested....Now here is a thought, My 1873 TD numbers out to an 1883 manufacture, my Sons dates to 1886, His breech block is clearly stamped 1884 but it DOES NOT have the Buffington sight, it has a sight identical to my '73... and it also has 1-22 inch twist like my'73...I am still wondering if the "84's changed the twist and my sons barrel and sight is a left over "73... I would sure like to hear from someone who has an '84 WITH a Buffington sight....ED

--------------------
Longknife

Edited by Longknife (06/03/13 06:21 AM)

Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
      #226644 - 09/03/13 02:09 AM

The original 45-70 used a 405 gr bullet and a 22" twist.
It was soon decided that this was insufficient for infantry use and the blunt 500 gr (now Lyman 457125) was adopted but I don't have the exact date handy. It is about as long as can be shot in a 22" twist. So far as I know the issue rifles and carbines are all 22". HOWEVER they did make some match rifles with longer case cartridges 2.4" I think (not digging for it) that IIRC had 18 or 20" twists using 80 gr of BP. But these were not general issue.
The 22" stabilized the 500 gr Gov't RN well enough AND it allows it grain to arrive point first at maximum range. They found during the beach testing that even at terminal distances the 500 gr would penetrate trenches with 1" plank covering and kill troops below. The angle was very steep close to vertical. They found something like 3" plus penetration on pine at that distance. But they were POINT ON. If over stabilized the bullets tend to arrive with the nose high and can even tumble at longer ranges due to the air flow over the bullet striking UNDER the nose. This causes precession and the bullet nose tends to oscillate around the flight path. This causes some modern HV loads to strike the target while tumbling at 1000 yards.
It is also why some modern tanks use smooth bore guns. It is important that the solid shot strike point on at longer ranges.
So its possible that the Army did not WANT the 500 gr any more stable than it was.
The action was repeatedly upgraded with the 1884 being the best issue action. Some collectors do not consider the 73 or 78 models safe.
This is not a smokeless powder action. There is loading data out there that is based on the SAAMI pressure levels for HV SMOKELESS LOADS of the early 20th c. These generate far to much pressure for the TD. The Gov't considered it to be able to contain 80 gr of BP MAX from my reading.
Like all BP rifles of the 19th c bore sizes vary a lot. The use of 20:1 or 40:1 alloy or even lead will over come this with BP as the propellant.
Care must be taken with these actions and barrels with BP substitutes are used. Excessive compression of Pyrodex will produce excessive pressure and I have been told of a TD having its barrel burst by this practice. T7 IMO is too hot for the action.
Reproduction TDs have been known to blow open with BP loads. I was personally told of 2 such occurrences some years back when the Italian distributors started importing TDs. One shooter said the case cut a groove in his hair. I was told second hand that an H&R had done the same thing.
How can this be? The TD action was designed around a very poor cartridge case that had no springback. The folded copper case the Bureau of Ordnance liked so well and killed troops during the Indian Wars. If the TD could not be opened under pressure they would have been jammed shut routinely by the copper cases. So the cam lock is a fine line between blowing open and being locked shut with the issue ammo of the time. Apparently some of the reproductions did not get the cam and its recess just right.
So, shoot BP only (light loads of smokeless can be really dangerous) use fairly soft bullets (the originals were 1:16) and I would recommend only shooting the 1880s models since there has to be a reason they repeatedly beefed up the action.
Under no circumstances should HV 1600-2000 fps loads be used in any available version of this action no matter when it was made, no matter who's reloading manual its in. 28000 psi is the SAAMI standard for the TD and these loads were intended for 1886 Win, 1895 Marlin and other strong actions. The TD far predates SAAMI or any of its standards. The failures years ago in weak 19th c guns by Ballard, Soringfield Armory, Winchester and others with the HV smokeless loads of the early 20th c was the reason all these loads were removed from the market by the 1950s and 45-70, 44-40, 38-40, 32-20 etc were all loaded to BP pressure levels rather than the really snotty loads that were developed for the various smokeless capable actions of the late 19th c. What is safe in an 1892 Winchester may be fatal in a 1873 model using the same cartridge for example.

Note. Some know that the 30-40 cartridge load development was done using TD actions. This is true. HOWEVER, they were redesigned, stronger actions than the issue actions. But some not knowing this, assume the TD is much stronger than it is based on reading that "TD actions" were used with the 40000 psi + 30-40.

Dan

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Trapdoor 45/70 [Re: Dphariss]
      #226646 - 09/03/13 03:32 AM

Good post, Dan.
According to Accurate Arms, a .45/70 BP issue load with 405gr. lead bullet and 70gr. black powder produced 22,000psi for them.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #226648 - 09/03/13 04:20 AM

Longknife; If you want to hunt the rifle see if you can get the 405 grain LEE HOLLOWPOINT mold. What a phenomenal bullet!

I THINK it might cast a wee bit too small in diameter, but if so, the bullets could be sized down and paper patched.

Anyway, unlike the 330 Gould and some others, the Lee HP is NOT a frangible bullet but rather, acts like a Nosler Partition at over 1400 fps with the front HP making massive damage and then blowing off, allowing the rear 300 grain shank to penetrate deeply. GREAT bullet at fast .45-70 velocities and cast soft should be perfect for the BP velocities, too I think.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Trapdoor 45/70 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #226651 - 09/03/13 05:41 AM

Ed's Trapdoor might get him 1,350fps - that's about all, I think.

--------------------
Daryl

Dphariss
.300 member

#226658 - 09/03/13 06:47 AM

After a fairly extensive search I cannot find my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook which has pressures for BP loads. I know that the 45-120 topped out at about 29 to 30K with 120 gr of powder and a heavy bullet.
May have to buy another cast bullet handbook. I do know that Duplex loads exceed Lyman's 18K pressure limit for the TD. A limit that they have maintained for decades. Since Lyman has more experience in this that any company I know I tend to take their data at face value. I have no reason to doubt Accurate either, but at that pressure level they should be making velocities well in excess of BP loads in the 45-70. Duplex loads in 45-70 WILL exceed Lyman's limits for the TD.
70 grains is more than modern cases will hold if Goex is used. 62-65 is about max. With lighter bullets and some compression I have shot a three groove 350 gr and 75gr of Swiss, which is denser than other powders from a 45-70.

But the main reason for not shooting smokeless in archaic breechloaders, even when made of modern steels is the lack of safety features to protect the shooter. Even strong 19h c designs like the Winchester Single Shot (Hi-Wall) have serious deficiencies for high pressure use. Many are prone to spit out firing pins for example. I have read of hiwall hammers being sheared off by this.
Loads that will kill or maim in a modern 1873 Win copy will not even stick the case in a 1892 Win.
If the loader never exceeds about 18000 in the TD with smokeless and takes precautions to make sure the loading density is such that there is not chance of what a friend calls "flash over" then smokeless is fairly safe. But there is still the potential for problems. There is a big name in the shooting/reloading world who is now missing some fingers due to using 24gr of 2400 in a TD. He was told it was a bad idea but had shot the load for decades with no issues. In a couple of years the barrel let go and he lost parts of his hand.
Its just not worth it to me. I stopped using smokeless in vintage design BP arms due to the safety concerns, lack of modern safety features (Neidner developed a blow out proof firing pin for use in Hi Walls converted to HV varmint cartridges like the 219 Zipper) and the fact that the steel in the barre especially is questionable.
Not so long ago a lady I know lost part of here hand from shooting smokeless in a cast action Ballard chambered for 40-65. Even loaded with BP the 40-65 is more than the cast action will stand. But people like to do what they want and ignore warnings that even back in the day Ballard never used this action for cartridges larger than 38 RF. About like a BP 38 Special.
So while there are some 19th c firearms that can be used with smokeless, the 1886 and 92 Win for example and those designed with smokeless in mind are pretty good. Most are not suitable due to lack of what would be basic safety features in the smokeless powder world. We have to remember that Sharps, in the 1870s installed gas check plates, the actually worked, in all rifles chambered from more the 65 or 70 grains of black powder. It was actually safer and still is in this regard than the Rolling Block, the more "modern" Hepburn, the newer Hiwall and the Ballard.
Then if we step the cartridge capacity to 100-120 gr of powder it is much more difficult to safely shoot smokeless, I don't recommend smokeless in any cartridge that used more than 70 gr of BP. Because people blow up guns using almost any smokeless you can name when the loading density gets to low.

Dan

Dphariss
.300 member

Re: Trapdoor 45/70 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #226659 - 09/03/13 07:06 AM

Quote:

Longknife; If you want to hunt the rifle see if you can get the 405 grain LEE HOLLOWPOINT mold. What a phenomenal bullet!

I THINK it might cast a wee bit too small in diameter, but if so, the bullets could be sized down and paper patched.

Anyway, unlike the 330 Gould and some others, the Lee HP is NOT a frangible bullet but rather, acts like a Nosler Partition at over 1400 fps with the front HP making massive damage and then blowing off, allowing the rear 300 grain shank to penetrate deeply. GREAT bullet at fast .45-70 velocities and cast soft should be perfect for the BP velocities, too I think.

The problem with hollow point 45-70 bullets is meat loss.
If the nose blows off I don't want the thing. I consider the Nosler partition to be a flawed bullet for this reason.
The 400 grain Speer. If moved too fast, 1700+ it can make a real mess as well.
The two best cast hunting bullets for 45-70 are the 457193 and the 456192. The 191 is not too bad but does not always shoot as well. These three are copies of the Marlin 45-70-420 (193)bullet, the 45-75-350 (192) and various 300 grain 45 caliber Winchester loadings (191). The RCBS 300 gr FPGC is excellent as well weighing about 320 cast 1:40.
Bullets heavier than 420 need more BP to push them and and not needed for most game. The 193 is a good killer on American Bison. The Lyman 457133 HP (Gould) is almost identical in shape to the 192 and will perform the same if the hollow point is made much shallower to just a dimple by shortening the HP post. Given the PITA they are to cast I have never owned one but a friend cut the HP post off after screwing up too much meat on deer using it as issued.
If the bullet is cast 1:40 to 1:30 and has a good sized flatpoint .25 (for 40 cals) to .35 the hollowpoint superfluous.

Dan

Longknife
.333 member

Re: Trapdoor 45/70 [Re: Dphariss]
      #226756 - 11/03/13 03:05 AM

Dan, and everyone else. Thanks for all the indepth knowledge about Trapdoors. I will NOT be useing any smokeless in any of my cartridge (supository) guns as I have a good supply of GOEX on hand. I now have the Lee 405 HB mold and I also have the Lyman 457125. just melted down about 40 lbs of WW lead and have a TON of pure lead also. I am going to start with casting some soon....Thanks, Again...

This is kinda scarey....

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1361409144

--------------------
Longknife

Caprivi
.375 member

#226764 - 11/03/13 05:22 AM

Quote:

This is kinda scarey....

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1361409144

The only definite in the aftermath of a rifle blow up, is that you have a blown up rifle. I read a bit of the bantering on the other thread. Some made sense, some repeates of rumour, some mere defensive. We have no idea what the load was. Overload ???, bore obstruction ???, underload ???
Wether a published load or not, I will say I feel 40-ish grains of RL7 is too much for a 140yr old metalurgy. Pulling down the rest of the ammo is part of the investigation. The quick easy answer is to not use nitro in a Trapdoor, thou that is a bit in-complete.

The only rifle blow up I actually examined was traced to salvaged powder that was believed later to be 4227 and not 4350. In a 165gr 30-06 load it bulged the barrel of a featherweight M70, splitting the stock. Owner fired a second round "To be sure" ... he was sure after that, as the bulge let go and split receiver as well.

--------------------

Caprivi
.375 member

#226765 - 11/03/13 05:28 AM

Here is yet another reference to a old BP rifle being dis-assembled with nitro.

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1340046856/0

This was just up the road and caused quite a stir locally when it happened. Sort of Celebrity like thou, as one rarely gets a helicopter flight from the shooting match. There is always the upside.

As the old joke of, telling the doctor, "My arm hurts when I do this", to which the doctor responds "don't do that".......so it is with burning nitro in a BP firearm.

Don't do that.......

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#226853 - 12/03/13 04:41 AM

another - Ballard

--------------------
Daryl

Edited by CptCurl (20/03/13 10:55 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18170

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com