Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons
      #224775 - 05/02/13 07:32 AM

Double Rifle Action Strengths Compared, Respected French Paul Demas designed Verney- Carron, compared to less respected Italian Sabatti

French Paul Demas designed Verney-Carron Actions:
The Standard Directory of Proof Marks says “France joined the rest of the proof countries at the International Proof Conference in 1914, and the French proof mark is held equal to those of other countries where proof is compulsory.” In France, “proof of rifled barrels is accomplished by firing a proof load which produces an excess pressure of 30% over the normal pressure.” “Normal pressure,” usually called “service pressure” is defined as an average of the normal factory loaded pressures for specific caliber cartridges. In the 1920s, “the exploitation of high pressure as a means of advertising became widespread in France,” says the Directory, and continues somewhat to this day, with literature from the Paul Demas designed Verney-Carron Azur side by side double barreled rifle advertising boasting their “fine receivers that absorb very high pressure levels of 5,700 BAR” (the 5,700 BAR pressure was from a proof load; not from a normal service factory load, so it was 30% higher than the highest average pressure factory loaded cartridge normally chambered in this rifle, the service load). Part of the reason for this ability to absorb such a high pressure proof load, was due to their actions being made from a modern high tensile strength alloy steel, 35 NCD 16 steel. 35 NCD 16 is a French designation for this steel; it is among the highest strength, toughest steel available in the world today, with similar strength and characteristics to the American S7 super steel with. The Paul Demas designed Verney-Carron boxlock actions are a modified, improved, version of the French Chapuis action design, as Paul Demas originally worked with Chapuis before leaving that firm to begin his own firm, eventually becoming Verney-Carron, so he early on was intimately familiar with the Chapuis design. Both the Chapuis and the Paul Demas designed Verney-Carron are radically different from the more traditional action designs begun originally by the British, which have a central lump with single point hinge pin contact, and a single recoil surface on that lump. The Chapuis, on the other hand, has two point hinge pin contact with no recoil surface on lump, so barrels are sandwiched between a single wide locking bolt, while the Verney-Carron has three point hinge pin contact with a triple recoil surface, thus the Verney-Carron has three lumps in a row on underside of monoblock. Both of these French systems use a single wide under bolt, with the Verney-Carron version being 24 mm wide by 6 mm thick. The Verney-Carron uses monoblock barrel construction, which imparts good strength.

Italian Sabatti :
The Sabatti model 92SF big bore double rifle, chambered in various calibers, with all calibers using one action size and style of a traditionally designed, robust side bolstered boxlock, bolted by a traditional Purdey type top lever activated underbolt 16 mm wide by 6 mm thick, the same thickness as used on the French Verney-Carron. These Sabatti actions are also made from a tough, modern high tensile strength tri-alloy steel comparable with the strength and specifications of the French 35 NCD 16 steel and with the American S7 steel. They use monoblock barrel construction too.
The Sabatti double rifle Instruction Manual, that comes with all these rifles, shows calibers they are chambered for, along with normal factory loaded cartridge service pressures for each caliber (page 13):

.500 NE = 2800 BAR (40,610 psi) .375 H & H magnum (belted version) = 4300 BAR (62,366 psi)
.416 Rigby = 3250 BAR (47,137 psi) .450/400 NE = 2800 BAR (40,610 psi)
.470 NE = 2700 BAR (39,160 psi) .458 Winchester = 4300 BAR (62,366 psi)
.450 NE = 3050 BAR (44,236 psi)

The Standard Directory of Proof Marks, regarding Italian proof, says “Arms with rifled barrels are proofed with a load that creates between 30% and 50% excess pressure” over normal service load, so these actions must absorb between 1,290 BAR (18,710 psi) and 2,150 BAR (31,183 psi) in excess of the normal factory service load for the most severe pressure factory service loaded cartridge these rifles are chambered for, the .375 H & H belted or the .458 Winchester, which both create 4300 BAR (62,366 psi)normal factory cartridge pressure. Thus, for minimum Italian proof of 30% excess pressure over service load, proof equals 5,590 BAR (81,076 psi), while maximum Italian proof, 50% excess pressure over service load, proof equals 7,450 BAR (108,053 psi). Notice that the Italian proof calls for somewhat higher proof, between 30% to 50% higher than service load than does the French proof of 30% higher than service load, so it is reasonable to assume that the proof pressure on these actions, French and Italian, are at least equal, with the Italian Sabatti probably slightly higher. Note: Proof is more applicable to barrel strength than to action strength, so aforementioned BAR pressures, normal factory service loads for specific Sabatti calibers, needs to be observed and not exceeded, but the data contained herein indicates the excellent strength of Sabatti and Verney-Carron double barreled rifle actions, and, certainly, the barrel strength is more than adequate for calibers involved too.

CIP calls for a maximum proof pressure, over standard service load, of 25%, just 5% under the 30% designated by The Standard Directory of Proof Marks for France and Italy, with Italy calling for a designation between the 30% and 50%. I am certain that the upper end figure of 50% is never done, since it is so horribly high pressure, but I am not certain how far above the 30% figure is normally done in Italian Proof Houses. I am quite certain, though, that The Standard Directory of Proof Marks is more accurate than the CIP standards, because I have seen numerous of the aforementioned Sabatti rifles (I own three of them in different calibers), with factory supplied proof certificates that clearly state that proof was done with loads between 30% and 50% above the service loads.

Edited by doubleriflejack (06/02/13 06:55 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #224789 - 05/02/13 02:05 PM

Quote:

while maximum Italian proof, 50% excess pressure over service load, proof equals 7,450 BAR (93,539 psi

DRJ,
Both Italy and France are members of CIP to the best of my knowledge, and would use CIP rules.
CIP requires proof loads for rifles to be 125% of the max service load pressure.

A maker, an individual, or a company "could" ask for a higher percent proof load if they wanted, but I sincerely doubt that any break action double rifle would ever be subjected to a proof load of 7450 bar. Both the Verney Carron and the Sabatti would be built strong for sure, but I can't see too many double rifles surviving proof loads producing 108,053 psi!

The CIP requirement for a proof load for the .458 Win Mag is 5375 bar (77957 psi). This is the service load pressure of 4300 bar multiplied by 125%.

Jack, I think some of your bar to psi (and other) calculations are off.
You can check here.
bar-psi psi-bar

Edited by 4seventy (05/02/13 09:59 PM)

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons [Re: 4seventy]
      #224840 - 06/02/13 06:42 AM

4Seventy,
Thank you for the much appreciated input, corrections, etc. You are 100% correct that I had errors in BAR to psi figures, corrected in above edited version, along with a paragraph of explanation regarding CIP, etc. I am aware that France and Italy belong to CIP, but in this piece, I was quoting from highly accurate and reliable publication, "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" so perhaps these two countries do their proof at somewhat higher pressures, at least 5% above CIP, for France, and at least 5+% for Italy, above CIP standard, though Italy certainly must not approach that upper end figure of 50% above service load pressure? It would be nice to know for certain, just how high that Italian proof is above the 30% figure?

4seventy
Sponsor

#224867 - 06/02/13 04:09 PM

Quote:

It would be nice to know for certain, just how high that Italian proof is above the 30% figure?

DRJ,
I doubt that the proof pressure would be above 30% for rifles chambered for higher pressure cartridges.

I think that the "30% to 50%" does not mean that ALL rifled arms are subjected to proofing above 30%.

I think it means that lower pressure cartridges like for example handgun centrefire, might be proofed at the higher end of the 30-50%, and that higher pressure cartridges like .375 H&H etc might be proofed at the lower end.
Once you are dealing with cartridges producing pressures above 60,000psi, a proof load of plus 30% is going to be pushing the brass cartridge case close to or beyond its limits.

I have also read that the CIP plus 30% proof, was lowered to 25% in 2006.

Out of interest, how old is the "Standard Directory of Proof Marks" book? What is the year of publication?
I don't have that particular book, and am wondering if it might not be up to date with the current proofing regulations.
Cheers.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons [Re: 4seventy]
      #224996 - 09/02/13 06:25 AM

DRJ,
I doubt that the proof pressure would be above 30% for rifles chambered for higher pressure cartridges.

I think that the "30% to 50%" does not mean that ALL rifled arms are subjected to proofing above 30%.

I think it means that lower pressure cartridges like for example handgun centerfire, might be proofed at the higher end of the 30-50%, and that higher pressure cartridges like .375 H&H etc might be proofed at the lower end.
Once you are dealing with cartridges producing pressures above 60,000psi, a proof load of plus 30% is going to be pushing the brass cartridge case close to or beyond its limits.

4seventy,
I certainly agree with you on above points. However, as I mentioned in my piece above, my three Sabatti rifles all came with "official" factory proof certificates that clearly indicates that proof was done between 30% and 50% over service pressure, which means exactly as stated, not at 25% over; not even at 30% over, but between 30% and 50% over, 25% over isn't mentioned at all on certificate, so the age of book "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" has no valid bearing anyway, considering details mentioned on proof certificates that came with new rifles. Reading some "facts" from some publication you don't identify, doesn't always mean it is true. Further, a few days ago, just to verify, to confirm the facts, I had a friend in Italy contact firm in Italy by phone, asking them what proof pressures are presently used, and they confirmed only that "between 30% and 50% over service pressure is used today."

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #225012 - 09/02/13 12:02 PM

I used to own the "dreaded" .375 H&H gangnam style Merkel DR and put 700 plus rounds and it was as tight as the day I got it.

My .450 #2 was off face, got figer.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons [Re: bonanza]
      #225042 - 10/02/13 02:41 AM

Yeah, the grievous sin of a .375 Belted H&H Mag. in a DR is highly exaggerated. It works and works well.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons [Re: CptCurl]
      #225059 - 10/02/13 08:20 AM

I think the risk with the .375 H&H belted mag in a double is that the cartridge is already at the top end of the pressure scale.
It's fine at standard factory pressures of 62,000psi, but there is not much margin for error.
A hand loader getting a bit careless, could easily push things too far.

The old British NE cartridges like the .470NE and 500NE for example, are loaded to 20,000psi less than .375 and .458 belted magnums.

I would not hesitate to own and shoot a quality double in .375 H&H belted mag.
When I think back about the one double that I really wish I had bought but didn't, it was chambered for that cartridge.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons [Re: CptCurl]
      #225060 - 10/02/13 08:36 AM

"Yeah, the grievous sin of a .375 Belted H&H Mag. in a DR is highly exaggerated. It works and works well."
Curl

Yes, and we can thank the modern high strength alloy steels some present day double rifle makers are using today for that.

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #225088 - 11/02/13 04:14 AM

Glad to see the conversion factors of BAR to PSI but does anyone know if BAR can be converted to CUP? The Hornady manual lists CUP's only. It would be nice to know where I am pressure wise in my Sabatti since my best load is near the upper end of there recommended loads.
Bob

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Double Rifle Action Strength comparisons [Re: aromakr]
      #225089 - 11/02/13 04:57 AM

Quote:

Pressures expressed in CUP (copper units of pressure) and in PSI (pounds per square inch) are approximately the same, according to "The Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms." In my opinion, the word to remember here is "approximately."

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7050

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com