Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Krieghoff Trumpf 16x16x8jrs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
DonT
.224 member

Reged: 16/05/12
Loc: Minnesota
Krieghoff Trumpf 16x16x8jrs
      #224566 - 01/02/13 02:08 AM

Well I have come to conclusion that my search for Montage Rings for this Rifle is going to be a long drawn out process with a lot of luck mixed in. And since patience is NOT one of my virtues I am investigating other avenues...

First I do what to say that I took the advice of a board member and slugged the barrel last night and it is .323 so definately it is a 8x57jrs. I was amazed how deep the rifling is...

For the scope rings;

Last nite while sitting in my shop I started going through extra rings I have in box and found a set of ruger rings that looked like they may work with some modifications. I got them to fit after milling off the stop and thining the rear clamps slightly to clear the barrel. Unfortunately these are not quick release. I did some digging & I noticed there are some guns that still use 16mm Rings (Tikka and CZ527). So I was thinking something along the lines of the Warne quick release for the CZ527 those would be more the European angle for the dovetail I would think.....

I know they are going to require some modifications and I am game for that. An $80 investment, even if it fails, is much better than $1,500 and here in Minnesota this time of the year I need some inside projects to keep from going stir crazy....

Anyhow any suggess would be appreciated.

Here is a link to some pics of the gun,mounts and dimensions: PICS

Thanks,
DonT

Edited by DonT (01/02/13 02:14 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brosteve
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: TX USA
Re: Krieghoff Trumpf 16x16x8jrs [Re: DonT]
      #224590 - 01/02/13 03:09 PM

Don, I have just been down that road with my Funk Jubilaum drilling. My mounts are identical, except that both measurements on mine are 15mm. No matter. The CZ 527 were the route I took. I had to file off 1 mm, and they are tight, tight! The cZ rings are 16mm--so you are done on one, EXCEPT for the recoil stop on the base of the ring. It is square. The temptation will be to file it off and be done. There is a better way. It will not be perfectly aligned with the half round recoil stops you now have, BUT you can still file part of it to fit, and it will still function as a recoil stop. I don't expect it to shift given the caliber (same as mine). Hopefully the bases on the barrel are soldered in place so that a blow to the scope cannot shift a dovetail around. Take your time, and the CZ rings are an easy fix. Mine have been ABSOLUTELY perfect in returning to zero.
I cannot comment on tikka rings, having never seen them. The only complication you have is that one dovetail is 16mm, and one is 15mm, but I can tell you that the CZ rings can be filed on the one side where the loose dovetail is tightened with the screw. Mine works great...good luck with yours...Steve

brosteve
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff Trumpf 16x16x8jrs [Re: brosteve]
      #224591 - 01/02/13 03:13 PM

Another caution: the Warne rings, if they are vertically split, may not allow you to file off the extra 1 mm you need on the dovetail with the 15 mm measurement. You cannot file off any from the center split, or the ring diameter will be less that 1 inch. Waidmannsheil! Steve

DonT
.224 member

#224609 - 02/02/13 03:56 AM

Brosteve,

Thanks for the help, this is exactly what I needed to know. Now to place the order...

Again thank you...

Don

brosteve
.224 member

#224736 - 04/02/13 12:25 PM

recalculating: Given the 1 mm difference in width of dovetails on your drilling, filing off one side of the CZ ring to give a tight fit on the 15 mm dovetail might off center it by at least half a mm...hmmm. Don't know if your scope will correct that much...measure carefully--Steve

DonT
.224 member

#224776 - 05/02/13 08:02 AM

My thought was to shim the rings on both sides. Since 1mm is about .039" I could use a .020 shim on both sides to take up the 1/2 of 1mm per side and that should keep the ring on center with the front one. Once I make the shims I figure one of the heavy duty epoxies will work to hold them in place or if I get adventuresome I can solder them in place. In either case they would be premanent. Thanks for the thoughts though.

DonT
.224 member

#225148 - 12/02/13 08:07 AM

Success, at least I hope so...
I picked up a pair of the Warne QD (Quick Disconnect) rings for the CZ527/Tikka. They are 16mm rings and the front one fit like a glove. I made a shim for the rear one out of brass, soldiered it to the dovetail to take up the extra space to bring it down to the 15mm I need for the rear mount.

I put the shim only on one side of the clamp since this lined things up much better when bore siting the rifle barrel. It doesn't seem to put any undue stress on the scope as the scope lays solidly in the ring lower halfs and doesn't look out of line.

Now I just have to get some nice weather to take it out and shoot it to see if it holds. I also need to drill & tap a small hole in the flat that sits on the bases to put a small button head screw that will work as a recoil shoulder in the base.

Now with the scope mounted I thow the two levers, slide it back about 1/2 inch and off it comes. All for under $100 + scope.

Thanks for the help and encouragement folks...

DonT

brosteve
.224 member

#225217 - 13/02/13 03:17 PM

pictures would be nice...

DonT
.224 member

#225264 - 14/02/13 02:08 PM

As requested here are the photos (see bottom of the post).... .

Note on the modified ring I had to remove the spring that pushes the locking plate (under the lever) open so the plate would close tight enough to remove all play. Before folks start asking why I put the shim on one side it is because when I put 020 shim on each side and bore sighted it I had to use all the scope adjustment to get it lined up. By moving a larger shim to one side it put it dead on with the adjustments centered. I suggest if you are going to do this to make up a few shims and try bore sighting and adjust accordingly before soldering. The rings craddle the scope just fine so and don't appear to tweak the scope so the bases must be off just a smidgeon (that is a technical machinist term.. .LOL).

With the cold weather I am not going to be able to get out and test if for a few weeks but will post when I do.

Finally I did not put a recoil stop in the rings cause I want them to easily slide on and off from the back of the gun sliding it forward then locking in place with the locking levers. I don't think the 8x57jrs load should cause it move but we will see...

Thanks for looking...
DonT

Rifle with scope mounted.

Brass shim mounted to the rings (about .060)soldered in place.

Other side of the Rifle with scope mounted with QD levers.

View of the modified ring base from end.

Edited by CptCurl (27/02/13 11:14 PM)

brosteve
.224 member

#225389 - 16/02/13 03:40 PM

Looks great, and low to boot. Congratulations! Steve

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #225402 - 16/02/13 10:22 PM

Well done on a ell executed job. I like your DR.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

DonT
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff Trumpf 16x16x8jrs [Re: SAHUNT]
      #225462 - 18/02/13 04:36 AM

Thank you for the kind words.
It is amazing what can be accomplished when you want to.

Sincerely,
DonT

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #225473 - 18/02/13 07:27 AM

Unfortunately my Sempert and Krieghoff Neptun drilling (16X16X9.3X72R, 1922) came with no provision for mounting a scope at all. I have been wrestling with the idea of mounting a period scope (Zeiss Zielklein or Zielmar) on it, but so far have been unable to turn up 22mm rings. Yours is an elegant solution.

brosteve
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff Trumpf 16x16x8jrs [Re: xausa]
      #225672 - 21/02/13 09:26 AM

Looks like your flip up sight has enough clearance to pop up under your scope bell when you activate the rifle barrel, yes? Looking forward to report on performance at the range. Do the little levers give you plenty of leverage when tightening it down? I may have to solder up a set myself, just for the convenience! Steve

DonT
.224 member

#225745 - 22/02/13 06:23 AM

Brosteve,

Yes the rear sight will pop up under the scope bell. Since I shot that photo I added some of the flip up cover scope caps and needs to cut out a piece in the cover to allow room. Otherwise the rear sight would not move up and I could not cock the rifle sear.

I seem to be able to get them tight, it can be a bit of chore getting them to loosen. When get some range time in and if they work well I figured I would break out the MIG Welder and build a nice wider thumb pad for the levers and extend them just a bit giving them more of the Euro Mount look...

All kinds of ideas, not enough time!!!!!! Now if the weather would just cooperate..... GRRRRRRR...

Later,
DonT

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #227287 - 20/03/13 12:58 PM

Don T,

Today I stumbled onto the first photo I have ever seen of an original complete Krieghoff mount. Your version looks remarkably like it.

Edited by CptCurl (20/03/13 11:08 PM)

DonT
.224 member

Re: Krieghoff Trumpf 16x16x8jrs [Re: xausa]
      #227305 - 21/03/13 03:00 AM

XAUSA,

Thanks for the photos. I can see that I need to add a little length to the locking levers and pad at the end....

Again thank you, that is the first photo of I seen...

Now if we would just get some decent weather so I could make a trip to the range... Last year 70 Degrees, this year 25 Degrees and snow up to my Keester.... Only in Minnesota!!!

Have a Fantastic Day Folks...

DonT

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9305

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com