Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blaser doubles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: 4seventy]
      #22320 - 17/12/04 11:43 AM

In reply to:

Very accurate indeed and in fact a "one minute" double.
However I am looking for a lot more than just accuracy in a double rifle before I would consider it to be a "very good rifle".
Because I do a fair amount of hunting with my doubles, some of which includes back up for clients hunting big aussie game, I have some other priorities.
Feel, fit, weight, ballance, opening/closing ease and smoothness, sighting, trigger pulls and trigger position, non auto safety, barrel cocking, total reliability etc, are all important to me.
If a Blaser could provide all that I'd be ok about owning and shooting one!
Oh, and I almost forgot, for me, a very good double rifle would need to have ejectors!

Well said Moon!

To me, the things that are needed by Allen Moon, are just as valuable to me, because I'm backing up the most valuable person in the world, to me! That is my own butt that is on the line, and I don't want to have to depend on anyone else to drag my nuts out of the fire. He may call on me to drag his out!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #22328 - 17/12/04 03:04 PM

Well said Moon and Dugaboy

I have handled but not shot several Blaser Doubles in calibers 9,3, 375H&H, 500/416, 470 and 500 Nitro.
When shouldered the sights line up good. They do have a different feel to them, but all the new made doubles have a little different feel, compared to my British doubles.
The cocking featyre would take a little getting used to, but if you think of it like a hammer gun than cocks both hammers at the same time a little practice would be all that is necessary.
The 375 has BIG barrels and is very heavy for a 375.

As to the ejectors.... My 450/400 and my 9,3x74R has ejectors, my 450 No2 only extractors. After using thesse rifles for a lot of huntin for the past 7 years I find the ejectors some what of a pain as I spend more time trying to catch the brass durring the reload cycle than I do with the 450 No2. When hunting buff and elephant in June I always had time to hand extract the brass and put in in my pocket before I reloaded the rifle, except for my first 2 shots on my bull elephant, as after he was hit twice in the shoulder he turned and came for me. I just broke the rifle open pulled the brass out, letting it fall to the ground and reloaded. I did the same on the 2 finishers I fired just a few feet from the back of his head. I fired the first finisher, broke the rifle open pulled the empty out dopping it to the ground reloaded and fired the second finisher repeating the process.

I guess what I am trying to say is that It really would not matter to me if my double has ejectors or not. I have used both kind with perfect satisfaction.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #22340 - 18/12/04 09:06 AM

In reply to:

To me, the things that are needed by Allen Moon, are just as valuable to me, because I'm backing up the most valuable person in the world, to me!

Mac,
Backing up for a client is often VERY different as I try to give the client every oportunity to get the job done himself.
This can mean that if I do need to shoot, I am sometimes/often presented with the worst or most difficult shot, as by that time the client has already used up all the easy ones!

In reply to:

That is my own butt that is on the line, and I don't want to have to depend on anyone else to drag my nuts out of the fire. He may call on me to drag his out!

I've read this one quite a bit on forums about the client having to save the PH's arse and for sure it has happened but.......
It really all comes back to who started the fight in the first place?
My point being that if, during a guided hunt anyones arse needs saving, it is usually due to the client hunter not getting his job done.

Edited by 4seventy (18/12/04 10:51 AM)

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: Astor]
      #22341 - 18/12/04 10:53 AM

A guy that owns any kind of double rifle is allright in my book, well... assuming the barrels are turned horizontally - of course

The same applies to shotguns as well!

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: Astor]
      #22345 - 18/12/04 01:31 PM

Astor,

All show and no go is not why we use rifles. The fact that Blasers shoot where they are pointed makes them OK in my book.

I am debating whether to bid on a nice Blaser BBF in 16/30-06 on an auction web site. I had a chance to shoot one of their drillings and was impressed with its accuracy.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: luv2safari]
      #22359 - 18/12/04 03:38 PM

As far as I'm concerned the blaser is most likely a good rifle and I DO like the ability to carry a double which is loaded but uncocked, and I also like the ability to adjust the barrel regulation.
However I cannot say I like the auto safety type decocking every time the gun is broken.
IMO the blaser would have been far better if fitted with the same system as the krieghoff.

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: new_guy]
      #22360 - 18/12/04 03:43 PM

In reply to:

A guy that owns any kind of double rifle is allright in my book, well... assuming the barrels are turned horizontally - of course

The same applies to shotguns as well!

So then, the old snobbery thing regarding sidelock/boxlock and SxS/OU still exists?

luv2safari
.400 member

#22387 - 19/12/04 08:39 AM

Right On...Moonie!

I'll "stack"(pun intended) my Lajot o/u sidelock against his Platypus of a sxs any day... Those guys have to lie on their sides to get the proper angle...

--------------------

new_guy
Sponsor

#22394 - 19/12/04 01:05 PM

I'm not really a snob on the boxlock vs. sidelock.

But yes, snobish on O/U vs. SxS.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #22395 - 19/12/04 01:18 PM

In reply to:

Poster: 4seventy
Subject: Re: Blaser doubles?

So then, the old snobbery thing regarding sidelock/boxlock and SxS/OU still exists?

Why Moonie, I am shocked. Whatever would lead you to say such a thing?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Edited by mickey (19/12/04 03:15 PM)

new_guy
Sponsor

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: mickey]
      #22426 - 20/12/04 03:32 AM

YES! I love it!

Mickey - can i use that for my avatar?

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #22427 - 20/12/04 03:37 AM

Sure, why not.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

luv2safari
.400 member

#22444 - 20/12/04 02:39 PM

New Guy,

Just remember to turn it sideways 90 degrees...

--------------------

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #22453 - 20/12/04 06:53 PM

Alan,

If you're backing up, I'd have thought that ejectors, non auto safety etc were superfluous. If the first two barrels don't do the PH has to use his body, doesn't he?

AussieMike

4seventy
Sponsor

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: AussieMike]
      #22455 - 20/12/04 10:16 PM

In reply to:

Alan,
If the first two barrels don't do the PH has to use his body, doesn't he?

AussieMike,
Maybe not.
As someone else pointed out, in a situation like that the PH just has to be able to outrun the client!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7968

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com