Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WTB Krieghoff Montage Rings

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Classifieds & Collecting

Pages: 1
DonT
.224 member

Reged: 16/05/12
Loc: Minnesota
WTB Krieghoff Montage Rings
      #224299 - 26/01/13 02:05 AM

Although not new to shooting or guns, I am new to the site and to Drillings so I apologize if I am not clear with what I am looking for.

I recently traded into a Krieghoff Trumpf 16x16x8mmJRS Drilling built in 1942 that has the bases mouted into the rib (they are marked Sempert-Krieghoff Montage) but not the rings. My old eyes need a bit of help so I am looking for rings so I can scope the gun.

From what I can tell these slip on from the rear, there are a couple of small projections or ears on the front mount that are stops I am assuming and then you throw a leven that cams a pin into the round cut out in the mount to tightent them up. This is all spectulation on my part from what I have been able to gather on the net and on this board.

If someone has a set or can steer me to a set it would be greatly appreciated. Like I said those little tiny iron sites just aren't cutting it with these old eyes...

Best to email me if you can with what you have and price.... don@theprotectorsinc.com..

Respectfully,
DonT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: WTB Krieghoff Montage Rings [Re: DonT]
      #224301 - 26/01/13 02:29 AM

Don sorry to tell you this but they will have to be custom made/fit. Not off the shelf item.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #224303 - 26/01/13 03:30 AM

When I was involved with the Krieghoff company in the 1970's, we were frequently approached with requests for rings to fit pre-War Krieghoff bases. We never found a satisfactory solution to the problem. However, there are more resources now available.

It would help if you could furnish exact measurements of the bases. I assume they are set into the rib in such a way as to not interfere with the use of the rib as a sight plane for the shot barrels. Are they fastened on with screws, or are they soldered in place?

DonT
.224 member

#224304 - 26/01/13 03:39 AM

Hee are some links to pics. I can't read the darn metric dial caliper so just took some pics of it and maybe someone can tell me the dimensions, the scale is marked CM (centimeters). I used the metric caliper as someone knows someone in Germany and asked me to measure it this way.

Thanks for the help...
DonT

Any how here are some pics of the mounts and caliper measurements and the gun..

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #224305 - 26/01/13 04:10 AM

First, it looks as though you made a real find (depending, of course, on how much you had to pay for it). No fancy Bavarian cheekpiece or hog back (Schweinsrücken) stock. The drop at nose and heel look acceptable and the wood looks as though a little cleaning up and maybe refinishing will work wonders. The barrels are a nice length, the metal looks to be in good condition, at least on the outside. My pre-War Krieghoff Neptun drilling has 28" barrels, which make it pretty unwieldly.

The way I read your metric calipers, the rear base is 15mm wide and the front base 16mm. That gives us something to go on. My recollection is that German bases are cut at a different angle than American ones. I'm not sure how you would go about verifying that.

Let me see what I can find out.

DonT
.224 member

Re: WTB Krieghoff Montage Rings [Re: xausa]
      #224307 - 26/01/13 04:25 AM

XAUSA,

Thanks so much for the help. I have access to a mill and lathe and may be forced to dust them off and get them warmed up but I thought if I could find what I needed it would be a bit easier.

The bores are excellent and I have a 22mag (by Krieghoff) insert for the right barrel as well. The gun actually look better in person than in my lousy photos. Barrels are 23 1/2 inches long.

I was able to get into the gun along with 6 boxes of Seller/Bellot 8x57jr ammo (that I am starting to pull the smaller bullets and reseat .323 spitzer bullets) for about $3,000. I don't know if this is high or not but it was one of those things I couldn't walk away from. I also have a Simson Drilling in 16x16x7mmR that came with a Kahles 6X (I beleive) scope in claw mounts for about the same $$ it is a bit newer (1984 I think and was made in GDR, East Germany, about 2 years prior to the wall coming down). This one is in about 99%+. It is my understanding that during this time frame they were actually made by Merkel and marked Simson.

I have been slowly weeding out my other guns and moving into drillings. I am finding they are a bit of an obsession

Thanks for any help you can offer....

Sincerely,
DonT

Edited by DonT (26/01/13 04:26 AM)

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #224308 - 26/01/13 05:10 AM

Don, That's a wonderful looking set up!

It might sound silly but a bunch of German scopes and mounts have been turning up on Ebay. Search for "German rifler scope mounts"
I keep looking fo a different style.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Eck
.275 member

Reged: 10/09/06
Loc: Burke, VA
Re: WTB Krieghoff Montage Rings [Re: AkMike]
      #224323 - 26/01/13 09:48 AM

Stop pulling your ammo, and check your proof marks! Your rifle, if a 8X57JR, needs .318 bullets. The JRS uses .323 bullets. Look to see if your proof mark says 7.7, or 7.8mm.

DonT
.224 member

Re: WTB Krieghoff Montage Rings [Re: Eck]
      #224328 - 26/01/13 12:05 PM

ECK,

the rifle barrel is actually marked 8X57JRS which I think makes is a .323...

But is good to know for future reference that 7.7 is .318 and 7.8 is .323

Thanks,
DonT

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3724

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com