Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ for woman

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
jsl3170
.224 member

Reged: 16/12/04
Loc: Maine, USA
CZ for woman
      #224263 - 25/01/13 06:49 AM

Hello All,

I inherited my late FIL's CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 this past spring. However, I am a LH shooter so cannot use the rifle. Am considering a project involving my wife as the primary user of this weapon. Regarding the metal, I am considering having the action gone over as well as the trigger. Thinking of a new bolt handle as I have one laying about. A new 3 pos safety, too. I like the trim lines of the action at least compared to the Magnum version so am thinking of a front sight to be soldered on from NECG (not a banded version but one which rides on top), a sweat on sling swivel for the barrel and a peep sight NECG makes which attaches to the dovetailed mounts on the receiver. A steel grip cap, possibly a trap to hold the peep sight may be nice and gunmaker Duane Wiebe makes a neat set of extended tangs which is something worth thinking about too, should the stock remain wood. Speaking of...

The stock is another issue altogether. Going to a local gunsmith next week to get a basic idea of her measurements and needs for a stock. Were the stock to remain walnut, the idea is to use the factory stock as a template for one to be duplicated later. Obviously, a slimmer grip, an appropriate LOP and a shorter forearm are on the table. Also, as many women have proportionately longer necks than we, a slightly higher comb may be in order but won't know till then. The other side of the coin is to gt her measurements and then see if someone like McMillan has a synthetic stock to meet her needs. Seeing as the rifle came to me and is to remain in the family, a nice wooden jobbie seems more appropriate.

I'd appreciate member feedback and ideas.

Thanks!

Jeff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: CZ for woman [Re: jsl3170]
      #224275 - 25/01/13 01:30 PM

It would be cheaper to purchase a new rifle in .308 Winchester than go the route you are going. A lightweight 9.3 can be a handful. A new stock with the gun smithing you are talking about would cover a Remington Custom Shop rifle made for her.

jsl3170
.224 member

Re: CZ for woman [Re: albertan]
      #224300 - 26/01/13 02:24 AM

Thanks, but we are working with the 9.3 not 308 Winchester as mentioned above. Not sure I mentioned a lightweight 9.3 either. 8.5-8.75 lbs in a well balanced rile is appropriate for this caliber.

MClark
.224 member

Reged: 21/02/10
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #225390 - 16/02/13 04:02 PM

The McMillan stocks are pretty much standard dimensions in the grip and would be difficult to change. I think the walnut stock plan would work out better.
Sounds like you want to keep the original stock. If you can get a beat up one from your smith or someone here it could be shortened, thinned, trimmed, built up and ground down. She can try it out for a while and when it is good it is used as a pattern. Bondo automotive filler is a quick and easy way to raise a comb on a pattern, it is just ugly.

Mark
I have a CZ 550 in 9.3

jsl3170
.224 member

Re: CZ for woman [Re: MClark]
      #226652 - 09/03/13 05:49 AM

Thanks, Mark. I took off the recoil pad and at 13.5" LOP with the wood only she says it is too long and feels too "heavy in front". I know the LOP is still too long so once we start getting that to size I suppose the barrel would need to be nipped off to better balance the whole business.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
      #226654 - 09/03/13 06:10 AM

A too long lop will make the weight forward feel axagerate the weight of the barrel and it might not be the unbalanced weigh when the lop is corrected. I found that with one of my own rifles and when the lop was shorteded the weight forward feel was not nearly as noticable.The longer barrel length (24??) will also help with recoil lifting and noise for your wife. If possible I would leave it as long as balance allows.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Edited by VonGruff (09/03/13 06:16 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3068

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com