Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Queen's Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: albertan]
      #223149 - 08/01/13 05:44 PM

That is very nice. I certainly do like the period engraving.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #223150 - 08/01/13 05:51 PM

Quote:

The rifle is as long as Her Majesty is tall. If she was 5 foot two in her prime, that would be it. Looking at the rifle's dimensions I would have expected a shorter length of pull.

Nice rifle.

I dunno about matching her height.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #223227 - 09/01/13 02:02 PM

Im not one to normally come and piss on the bonfire but...

Isnt there a considerable gap between the left sidewall of the action and the stock?
The action looks to me as prefinished with a carding wheel.(Rounded corners , no clean lines).
Have seen much better craftsmanship.

What really turned me off is the stock, especially the rear tang groove for the cocking piece.
The cocking piece clearance at the back of the action doesn't look like it was ever sanded and the inletting does look loose.

Being given away I guess the owner cant complain, but just my 2 cents..

For comparison, here is a dorleac in a similar style.

Edited by Fontainebleu (09/01/13 02:08 PM)

k3030AI
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/12
Loc: Arkan
      #223645 - 15/01/13 07:22 AM

That’s just SUCH the classic Rigby “working” rifle. Nothing that doesn’t need to be there, and everything that does. With the big hubble scoped monstrosities made today, they seemed to have forgotten that there are some people in this world who actually WALK places with a rifle. The traditional open sighted magazine rifles are oh-so much better for carry in the woods or plains.

Mr. Coker and I had the good fortune of being able to shoot a rather plain, non engraved; certainly not a “Best Quality” Mauser magazine rifle that wore the style of Boss & Co. Rather similar to the Queen’s Rigby in most ways, and slightly different in others. Still, at the end of the day it was another magnificently balanced, fine shooting rifle that just screamed to go hunting. Mr. Coker and I beat the living snot out of a 150 yard gong with groups that could have been hidden under a Dixie cup. And this all off-hand without the aid of a scope…yes folks, it can be done…Even by a bespectacled old fart such as myself.

k3030AI
.224 member

Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: Fontainebleu]
      #223646 - 15/01/13 07:40 AM

Quote:

Im not one to normally come and piss on the bonfire but...

Isnt there a considerable gap between the left sidewall of the action and the stock?
The action looks to me as prefinished with a carding wheel.(Rounded corners , no clean lines).
Have seen much better craftsmanship.

What really turned me off is the stock, especially the rear tang groove for the cocking piece.
The cocking piece clearance at the back of the action doesn't look like it was ever sanded and the inletting does look loose.

Being given away I guess the owner cant complain, but just my 2 cents..

For comparison, here is a dorleac in a similar style.

I think I would take issue with that…very respectfully, of course.

First the wood – Both of the features you mentioned could be accounted for by just the angle or lighting of the image. Since most of the other inletting can be seen clearly and looks right, I’m willing to go with the assumption, the rest is right. (Honestly the real test is with the eye, and rifle in hand).

As for the “squareness” of the receiver. Perhaps you have seen more Rigby’s or other English magazine rifles, or perhaps different ones than I have seen. The vast majority I have seen exhibit no signs of “truing up the action” or facing of the action. Or even truing up the edges from what came off the assembly line from Oberndorf. These were inexpensive (relatively speaking) rifles, and most of those who turned these fine sporters out, found very little that was objectionable with the original Mauser rifle. This is Mauser 98’s I’m talking about.

Go to ‘94’s, ‘95’s & ‘96’s and things change a bit; but only a bit. Your average pre-98 Mausers tended to come off the assembly line with such edged a little more crisp than those of the 98’s. I have handled several brand new, unfired military 98 Mausers and most had some subtle rounding of the front of the receiver ring; just like the Rigby in question.

So while an action that has been squared up may be somehow “better” may or may not be true. If I were looking for a modern rifle, I would absolutely demand it. But to my eye, what the gentlemen at Rigby are trying to capture is the magazine rifle of a century ago (or there ’bouts; no offense to HRH The Queen) not an English magazine rifle of today. Today standards and expectations are much higher from a very technical standpoint.

To my eye at least, and I know I’m not completely alone in my assessment; the magazine rifle of yesteryear is far more appealing than the magazine rifles turned out by the big houses today. Yeah, that’s right…I actually DON’T WANT my rifle action trued; I want it exactly as it was back then. Square off corners and true the action on a new gun. But if you’re going to do a modern “vintage” rifle, then pick up a file and do it like they did it.

Again, respectfully sir.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: k3030AI]
      #223649 - 15/01/13 09:45 AM

k3030AI
I have some trouble to understand your observations about the truing of the action on "modern" made custom Mauser rifle.
The rifle photographed on the first photo isn't a DORLEAC rifle (the second one is) but a genuine Rigby No.1 intermediate action made in 1906 for Admiral Sir Roger John Brownlow KEYES. The action bears the "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER–OBERNDORF A/N" marking rolled on the left sidewall and the barrel the "John Rigby & Co – 72 St James’s St. London" address.
You will notice how faultless is the barrel fitting and the wood inletting, even with a not very good light.
I have owned that rifle a long time and I owe to the true to recognize that it was flawlessly assembled with a well squared receiver and a perfectly fitted barrel.
I don't think that the rifles made by Mauser or finished by Rigby before WW1 were hastily finished with rounded corner and "unsquared" actions…all the bolt action of that period I was lucky enough to have in hands (...and I have seen and shot a lot) were certainly practical, but also superbly build.
Honestly there is not any disadvantage to use a trued and squared action on a plain modern made open sights rifle.
Hope you will understand my not very good English.
All the best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

k3030AI
.224 member

Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: DORLEAC]
      #223655 - 15/01/13 10:29 AM

Dorleac,

My comments were directed to the text of his assessment, not to the rifle photos he posted. As to roundness, that's a very relative term. It's apparent that we have either viewed different rifles, or made different conclusions.

justcurious
.333 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Germany
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: k3030AI]
      #223676 - 15/01/13 07:47 PM

The statement of Dorleac is correct.

If Rigby´s wanted to build a rifle which claims to be a copy of the old day Rigby , they should have paid more attention to the finish , because they used a military action as a basis for their remake and not a commercial action(barelled action) fresh from the factory as they did in the days gone by.

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: justcurious]
      #223681 - 16/01/13 12:55 AM

Bang on, Dont get me wrong I like it. I just find it too crude to warrant the kind of prices quoted.
To me it seems rather inplausible that Rigby would have used a military mauser action to make a queens rifle when you know they used a brand spanking new commercial one for even "regular" customers ( if such a term ever applied) - but that is a topic for another day.

Edited by Fontainebleu (16/01/13 12:56 AM)

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: Fontainebleu]
      #223689 - 16/01/13 05:49 AM

we cant forget that when we see a vintage english rifle we are looking at something that has taken on a patina of its own be it the wood or metal ,that is not an easy thing to reproduce and shouldnt ,,im going to cut kent some slack on the action ,as it isnt easy to come up with an intermidiate anything let alone an oberndorf,,the shape of the bolt handle that hugs the stock just a little closer than the ordinary commercial mauser bolt is a nice touch and overlooked for the past 60 years at rigbys ,,the slimming down of the trigger guard came out nice too,,as far as price goes ,they are up there with the rest of whats built in england and only they have the rigby name

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: John_Rigby_and_Co]
      #223893 - 19/01/13 05:50 AM

Nice rifle. Speaking of which, why do stockmakers seldom file down the tang and eliminate the need for a groove in the stock? It also has the benefit of allowing a slimmer profile in the critical grip area. I can think of no benefit to keeping the factory profile...what am I missing?

I just noticed a ZKK in .404 Jeffery by Dorleac in the Big Bores Forum that perfectly illustrates my point. The tang is slimmed to allow a slender grip; the end result is superb.

Edited by Carpetsahib (19/01/13 05:54 AM)

pjaln
.375 member

Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #223900 - 19/01/13 08:47 AM

you will se it on model 70s too , filing it down will changs the profile making for a skinnier grip and not so much a better grip ,,if the rear of the bolt rode up the tang (if it were filed down)to the left or right it would jam ,98 bolts are kind of sloppy and it could happen ....paul

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: pjaln]
      #223913 - 19/01/13 12:17 PM

Quote:

it isnt easy to come up with an intermidiate anything let alone an oberndorf,,

Paul,

Just speculating here - but don't your friends at Armeria Concari offer all of the old Mauser configurations? I had their price list some time ago and it was very, very premium priced over any other Mauser action available today, but, I'm guessing that the new Rigbys are among the most premium priced guns and the price might not be an issue for a Rigby client . . .

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

pjaln
.375 member

Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #223922 - 19/01/13 02:45 PM

mehul,, im not so sure on there priceing thio im sure they arent cheap, but thats a completely in house made action and bottom metal, the problem with rigbys is that they are/where relatively plain rifles from the start not many were overly embellished, could they get 18k for a gun without or just minimal engraving ?? not really easy ,i hope the best for them ....paul

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: pjaln]
      #223939 - 20/01/13 12:55 AM

I thought about that, but I have never seen any mangled stocks, nor mangled tangs from misaligned bolts. In addition, the slot in the stock isn't funneled (at least that I have seen), so it can't gradually lead the bolt into proper alignment if the fit is sloppy.

The small amount of material left at the back of the tang can make a tremendous difference in the appearance and the feel of the grip.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #223970 - 20/01/13 08:22 PM

How much are the "plain" centenary Holland bolt .375s ? best, Mike

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #223974 - 20/01/13 10:38 PM

I agree with Carpetsahib comments about the rear tang treatment on the Mauser action.
I have observed that the commercial Oberndorf rifles made prior WW1 have their rear tang slimmed down and polished in the white.
Such an alteration allows a better transition to the grip and in no instance weakens the action or the stock.
We apply that modification to the rifles we build, taking care to bevel the sear-contacting surface of the cocking piece and we have never encountered jamming or mangled stocks.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

1911 Oberndorf Mauser rifle

circa 1930 Oberndorf Mauser rifle

D&D Mauser rear tang treatment

Edited by CptCurl (10/06/13 09:39 PM)

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #223982 - 21/01/13 12:02 AM

Quote:

The rifle is as long as Her Majesty is tall. If she was 5 foot two in her prime, that would be it.

I'm a little puzzled as to how you arrived at this conclusion. From calculations I made as to the overall length of the rifle, based on the announced length of pull of 13.5", the over all length is about 43". That's a far cry from 5'2", or 62".

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: DORLEAC]
      #224005 - 21/01/13 06:11 AM

Precisely my point. I like the way you round the tang, as well as slim it down. The recessed checkering is also very nice. I am going to borrow some of your ideas for my own use!

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #224011 - 21/01/13 06:47 AM

Quote:

Precisely my point. I like the way you round the tang, as well as slim it down. The recessed checkering is also very nice. I am going to borrow some of your ideas for my own use!

I raised that myself previously.

Quote:

The rifle is as long as Her Majesty is tall. If she was 5 foot two in her prime, that would be it. Looking at the rifle's dimensions I would have expected a shorter length of pull.

Nice rifle.

I dunno about matching her height.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

John_Rigby_and_Co
.224 member

Reged: 03/07/12
Loc: London, UK
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #224574 - 01/02/13 07:38 AM

Just a quick update, the Queen's Rifle sold at the SCI auction for $43,000.

Edited by CptCurl (10/06/13 09:39 PM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #231049 - 10/06/13 09:41 PM

Wow! Congratulations. I'm just catching up on this thread. What a fine donation that was.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
      #240809 - 18/01/14 08:21 AM

The font does not match the font of that period originally used by Rigby. There are punctuation marks missing such as period after Co and St and commas. The two different serial numbers on the receiver are unsightly.
I am disappointed in the selection of the island rear sight base and the contouring of the barrel to fake the effect of a barrel band rear sight base ( which is readily available from Recknagle).
The rear tang of the action can be filed down or inletted in a way to avoid the poorly executed cocking piece clearance cut.
Overall I am not impressed by the design or execution of this rifle. Certainly not fit for a Queen or princess.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #240817 - 18/01/14 03:01 PM

John Rigby
As far as engraving goes in regard to the .275, can you supply more examples of these on the action, floor plate & trigger guard that might have come out on Rigby rifles?
Also as a second note, is it a trick of light or is the engraving on the action "filled" somehow as to stand out from the blueing?
Finally.....yes I'm a nosey bugger, what "process" or chemicals is used to protect the action in the "greying" of an action / parts so that engraving etc is more protected than just straight polished steel?
Cheers
93x64mm

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Queen's Rifle [Re: 93x64mm]
      #378631 - 13/08/23 06:38 PM

I completely missed this thread from 2012.

Interesting project and the resultant rifle a very nice rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 41911

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com