Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kit for a Roe Buck

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Kit for a Roe Buck
      #221438 - 12/12/12 10:30 PM

I have the opportunity next April to stalk a representative Row Buck on private land in Surrey while visiting friends in London.

It has been many years since I last visited the UK and apart from water proof boots and gaiters, is there any other recommended clothing or kit for an early morning stalk ?

What weather can I expect ?

Are binos recommended or needed ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Kit for a Roe Buck [Re: tophet1]
      #221510 - 13/12/12 06:24 PM

Imo, For Roe deer Binoculars and a heavy coat are a must, particularly if hunting from a high seat. .

bakposten
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/12
Loc: Norway
Re: Kit for a Roe Buck [Re: ozhunter]
      #221512 - 13/12/12 07:19 PM

The most important thing when roe deer stalking for me are the binoculars, I use a pair of 8*42 or 8*56, but sometimes I would like a bit more magnification. The next thing that I always have with me when roe stalking are a pair of two legged shooting sticks, great for steadying both your rifle and your binoculars.

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Kit for a Roe Buck [Re: bakposten]
      #221517 - 13/12/12 09:08 PM

Noted gentlemen and thx for the replys. My 'Ghillies' have promised my wife and I a night out in London as well. I just hope it's not the night before.

StephenCoker
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/11
Loc: AR, United States of America
      #221554 - 14/12/12 03:35 AM

bakposten,

Could you please send me a picture of your shooting sticks at your convenience? I prefer stalking, but many Americans prefer to sit in "high seats" as they're called elsewhere, so there are few shooting sticks designed to actually walk with. Most are designed to be used within a stand or "high-seat". Thanks!

--------------------
www.stephencokerandco.com
Uniquely superlative rifles in the Scottish tradition.

bakposten
.300 member

Re: Kit for a Roe Buck [Re: StephenCoker]
      #221564 - 14/12/12 05:09 AM

I use an extremely simple version, I have several pairs depending on what kind of shooting position I`m most likely to use, different heights for sitting and stalking. These are not high enough for a standing position, but if I kneel down or sit down for the shot they work great. I tried to post a picture here, but it was to big. So take a look at this link instead.

Shooting stix

I will try to find a youtube link to another pair I have, they are great to shoot from, but I find them a bit hard to drag around the woods.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #221686 - 15/12/12 05:23 PM

Lots of patience when sitting in a high seat. Especially when the roe buck is barking at you in the dark shadows of the forest. As in Northumberland once upon a time for me. I lacked it.

I find the standing or sitting still very difficult. Even if say in a drive for Swedish or Norwegian moose.

Even though many Euro hunters have dozens of even hundreds of roe buck skulls on their walls, I find roebuck very aware and alert. Difficult to hunt and also difficult to stalk very closely up to for good photographs. Having said that I hunted up to a metre away from roes in the Danish forests and knew there was one there but it still saw me before the TWO of them fled. Enjoyed the very careful, slow, precise stalking though.

Gear? I have never seen them used or on photos in Europe, but I wonder if the face masks used by people like Mr Gryphon for sambar would work well on roe as well?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (15/12/12 05:29 PM)

bakposten
.300 member

Re: Kit for a Roe Buck [Re: NitroX]
      #221719 - 16/12/12 07:41 AM

Some use all the camouflage you can think of and they are convinced that is the only way, and some use nothing and are convinced you don`t need any camouflage. I`m personally in the later category. For me it`s all about being able to be as quiet as possible, clothes that make as little noise as possible and shoes that are not to heavy, preferably something that you can "feel" the ground in. Braking sticks and twigs while stalking will spoil your chances on a roe buck.

I agree with you Nitrox, they are a challenging game to stalk, and I love it. Stalking roe bucks in the late summertime, we can`t hunt in the spring time up here, is one of my all time favourite ways to hunt.

tophet1
.400 member

#221728 - 16/12/12 09:26 AM

I'm assured no high seat shooting will be involved. It will be a walk up stalk on private land. Water proof boots and 'dull' clothing gets mentioned everywhere I ask. Gloves get a mention too. I guess the movement of white hands is a give away.

I'm with you bakposten. Movement and outline are the biggest give aways.

Thank you all again for the tips and advice.

bakposten
.300 member

#221730 - 16/12/12 09:45 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2Kgmvs_PY

That is the other kind of shooting sticks I use, a bit more fiddly to use but after a bit of training you shoot as good as from a bench.

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
      #221825 - 18/12/12 06:07 AM

Weather in April might be quite cold in UK. Not nesesserily night frosts but if windy and moist like normally there, you might need good clothes. Average temp maybe around 5-8 degrees celsius.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4205

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com