Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Model of 1898 M&P

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Model of 1898 M&P
      #221281 - 10/12/12 10:32 AM

Finally last of all but not least here is the first generation M&P Model of 1898. As you can tell it has an exposed ejector rod like the old Colt DA revolvers. Smith made this particular configuration from 1898-1902. In the summer of 1902 they introduced the Model of 1902 which had the more familiar locking lug for the ejector rod. The bulk of the 25,000 odd 1898's were made in .38 Long Colt and only a few thousand were made in .38 Special. This was the first revolver made for the .38 Special which evolved as a more powerful load of the .38 LC due to the problems that they had with that load in the Phillipines against the Moros.

My example was made in 1902. It still has the original grips and origianl finish, but unfortunately the original ejector rod end cap is missing and sometime in the past 110 years somebody put on a jury rigged cap. I believe that the hammer and trigger were changed out also. That or somebody felt the need to take a buffin wheel to them. Notice the case color hardening is gone. Nevertheless the 1898's are fairly scarce in the 21st century. This one was priced for $275.00 at another local pawn shop (they didn't know what they had) and I jumped on it. It isn't perfect, but I'm a cop not a manager for a Hedge Fund. I collect S&W revolvers and I take what I can afford. I don't shoot it. It's a safe queen though I imagine I could shoot low-power .38 Spl full wadcutters through it. But what would be the point? It's earned it's retirement.

I had some fun. Put some old pearl grips that I have in my inventory of grips. They fit the revolver perfectly. Very retro or contemporary if you like.

Edited by CptCurl (10/12/12 11:17 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Model of 1898 M&P [Re: Checkman]
      #221308 - 10/12/12 11:17 PM

What a nice piece of history. You are fortunate. Thanks for sharing.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1300

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com