Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: For fans of S&W autos. My "new" M745

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
For fans of S&W autos. My "new" M745
      #221212 - 09/12/12 08:10 AM

A S&W Model 745 in 45 acp. I picked it up a couple of months ago for $375.00 It is the single action version of the S&W Model 645 which was a DA/SA design. This is from what is known as the Second Generation of S&W autos. S&W only made 5,000 specimens of the Model 745 between 1986-1990.
It was intended to be used for competition. Blue steel upper slide and stainless steel lower slide. I am not a collector of S&W autos, but this is a fairly scarce (or is it rare? I'm never too sure) model and they aren't easy to find. Plus the price was very good - $375.00 OTD (out the door). It's very accurate, but I've gotten spoiled from shooting GLocks over the past six years. I've forgotten what muzzle flip could be like. NEvertheless I settled in and it's a fine shooter.

Yes the decorations are mine. This is my room. The decorations are a combination of gifts over the years from my kids and wife and things I have accumulated. The room was a bit of a mess that day. Sorry.

Edited by CptCurl (10/12/12 12:36 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: For fans of S&W autos. My "new" M745 [Re: Checkman]
      #221365 - 12/12/12 02:41 AM

Wait until you see the state of my room! It's nice to see a real solid steel pistol again. These were rare in the UK, but that was about the time of the Pistol ban in 1997.....

Checkman
.333 member

Re: For fans of S&W autos. My "new" M745 [Re: HistoricBore]
      #221397 - 12/12/12 07:39 AM

Quote:

Wait until you see the state of my room! It's nice to see a real solid steel pistol again. These were rare in the UK, but that was about the time of the Pistol ban in 1997.....

Yes there is something about a solid steel handgun. I see the huge number of polymer handguns now being made and while I can appreciate what they are (I have two Glocks myself) there are times I can't help but be nostalgic for the older heavy duty steel handguns.Yes they are heavier to carry and that makes a difference, but that solid heft can be very reassuring. I'm dating myself.

StephenCoker
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/11
Loc: AR, United States of America
      #221400 - 12/12/12 08:02 AM

My father was heavily involved in IPSC competition, and gunsmithing for the same purpose during the late 70's to early 90's. Our present location in NW Arkansas is a hotbed for pistol-smithing to this day (Wilson Combat, Guncrafter Industries, Nighthawk Custom, etc.). I was competing and working on pistols before I could drive a vehicle! One thing dad always said of the Smith 745 was that they were solid, accurate, and hefty. He preferred the 1911, but he kept an open mind and tried and worked on many designs. He said that heft of the 745 really kept muzzle climb down when running a course of fire at high speed - to the point that a compensator wasn't needed. Of course, a compensator works better with higher pressure cartridges than that those exhibited by the .45 ACP (like 38 super, 9x21, 9x23, 40 S&W, etc.). Anyways, nice gun. Thought you'd enjoy the rambling story!

--------------------
www.stephencokerandco.com
Uniquely superlative rifles in the Scottish tradition.

Checkman
.333 member

Re: For fans of S&W autos. My "new" M745 [Re: StephenCoker]
      #221420 - 12/12/12 02:38 PM

I did. Thanks. I've been through Northern Arkansas and liked it. We went through because I really wanted to visit the Pea Ridge Battlefield park. I like to visit the less visited sites. When I was back in Maryland I choose to go Antietnam instead of Gettysburg for example. I also wanted to see Wal-Mart Corporate HQ - the heart of darkness. Just kidding about that last part by the way.

Anyway it is a well made pistol. My dad was an Idaho State Trooper for 21 years (1973-1994) and he was part of the firearm selection team when they picked the 4586 in 1990. Dad is a serious 1911 fan, but he's always had nothing but good to say about the earlier S&W autos. When he retired ISP gave him his 4586 and he purchased a 4516 as a companion piece.

StephenCoker
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/11
Loc: AR, United States of America
      #221452 - 13/12/12 03:34 AM

I've been to both Pea Ridge Battle field and have spent time in Wal-Mart HQ conducting meetings. Both were battles!

Yes, The Ozarks (both in Arkansas and in Missouri are littered with smaller skirmishes). Many years ago, my father found two graves and headstones once while hunting that provided the names, rank, and some info about an unknown skirmish just north of Little Rock.

--------------------
www.stephencokerandco.com
Uniquely superlative rifles in the Scottish tradition.

Checkman
.333 member

Re: For fans of S&W autos. My "new" M745 [Re: StephenCoker]
      #221477 - 13/12/12 11:48 AM

I've been to both Pea Ridge Battle field and have spent time in Wal-Mart HQ conducting meetings. Both were battles!

I bet they were. Especially the last one.

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
      #221480 - 13/12/12 12:24 PM

Congrats on your find and I would think a very good deal at 375.00 Enjoy it, they are fine guns.

I breifly had a 745 and like it. Sold it as I had a few 1911's and the funds went elsewhere. I also had a similar 1006 converted to SA only by the PC. I installed a Bar-Sto barrel with comp. With very hot 200gr loads it shot well and was reasonably polite. A later 9x25 comped barrel was a cool 200yd plinker with a 150 cast TC at 1500fps.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: For fans of S&W autos. My "new" M745 [Re: Caprivi]
      #221529 - 13/12/12 11:40 PM

Quote:

Of course, a compensator works better with higher pressure cartridges than that those exhibited by the .45 ACP (like 38 super, 9x21, 9x23, 40 S&W, etc.).

That's a true statement, but it was the .45ACP that caused Mr. Cutts' surname to forever became a household word, with the next word immediately coming to mind being "compensator":

Curl

P.S. Please forgive the OT post.

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Edited by CptCurl (13/12/12 11:42 PM)

Checkman
.333 member

Re: For fans of S&W autos. My "new" M745 [Re: CptCurl]
      #246613 - 28/04/14 11:21 PM

Had a little modification performed on the 745. It's a very solid and easy to shoot pistol, but I didn't like the trigger guard. That long swooping design where the guard met with the front strap made it impossible for me to get a good high grip - which is how I like to hold my pistols when shooting. So I took it into a local gunsmith who has been around since the seventies and used to do this modification on the 645/745 in the eighties before S&W came out with the 3rd Generation series (4506,4516,4586 and so on) in 1988. Interesting to note that S&W made that relief cut starting with the 3rd Generation. Possibly feedback from shooters? Anyway I know some disagree with doing such things. Destroys the pistol's value, but it's my handgun and I like to shoot it. This works better for me. Photos are before and after. Fairly lowkey modification.

Edited by Checkman (28/04/14 11:25 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4283

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com