Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Westley-Richards .318 Restoration

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Westley-Richards .318 Restoration [Re: DORLEAC]
      #221315 - 11/12/12 03:03 AM

Dorleac - beautiful work as always. But some questions:

1) Why did you / your client choose the front sight base to be dovetailed into the barrel rather than set on a barrel band as is more usually the case. Appreciate dovetailing should not be an issue strength wise.

2) And why the offset rear sight base again looks a bit cumbersome compared to a bridge mounted rear claw.

3) Why the new stock - at least from the pictures the old stock whilst a bit worn does't look beyond recovery. Is the new stock to very different dimensions to suit your client - it looks as if the comb on the new is more suited to the scope.

Agree with previous comments re the looks of the modern Zeiss - A classic Zeiss would have looked so much nicer. But at least your client didn't choose a Swarovski Z6.

Keep up the good work

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: Westley-Richards .318 Restoration (Re: RobertL -HeymSR) [Re: HeymSR20]
      #221317 - 11/12/12 04:03 AM

RobertL, yes the stock job of Stefan is stunning and it's a delight to work together, we have a great complicity and each project is a pleasure.
HeymSR20, I can only answer to yours interrogations with the few following words: "We try to do our best to satisfy the customer orders…if they are reasonable"
Now, for the front claw mount base dovetailed in the barrel, it's the traditional manner that was used by the Mauser made Rigby while the soldered base is typically Continental.
To make the things clear, there is not much weakening, even with the dovetail cut, the barrel being larger than on my .318 drop lock express, and much more substantial than on any drilling shooting high pressure 7x65R Brenneke cartridge. Notice that, as stated earlier, it was a common practice at Oberndorf and on rifles chambered for cartridges not as quiet than the .318 W-R.
For the rear, we made an offset base, because putting a standard claw mount one on the bridge would have prevented the use of the iron sights, the rear base being too high, and also because as the rear bridge has been butchered previously in an attempt to mount a scope, the machining of the dovetail cleared the flaws.
You are right about the stock, the new one as lesser drop and Stefan made it to the customer measurements.
I hope to have replied to your question and I apologize for my English…but it's certainly more understandable than my perfect French !

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
Re: Westley-Richards .318 Restoration (Re: RobertL -HeymSR) [Re: DORLEAC]
      #221369 - 12/12/12 03:11 AM

Dorleac - thanks for the answers - fully understand your point re customer requirements!!

And thanks comments re the bases do make sense as well - I suppose to have kept it more in keeping with the old British style a side mount - like the Rigby or Holland would have been more correct, but I do always think they look pretty cumbersome. Claws are much nicer.

And by the way nothing wrong with your English, and certaily much better than my French.

Heym SR20

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Westley-Richards .318 Restoration (Re: RobertL -HeymSR) [Re: HeymSR20]
      #221675 - 15/12/12 02:02 PM

I have an e-mail from gunmaker Bob Woodfill through my good friend and forum member Ka'imiloa about this restoration with permission to post it here:

Quote [Excellent restoration and highest quality work. I can find nothing wrong with the 'restoration.' This is not my favorite style of stock but was used by many of the Scottish makers. I have a H&H marked rifle that is similar and I am sure that H&H had Fraser make the rifle for them. Possibly Westley Richards did the same with Fraser on this rifle.] End Quote.

As a happy learner, I am always happy to see fine guns, especially when a friend builds / restores them. I thought it would be nice to post a complementary reply from another master gunsmith in response to Joel's post.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Westley-Richards .318 Restoration (Re: RobertL -HeymSR) [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #222461 - 28/12/12 08:20 PM

I was just reading thru this post again and thought of another question.

Not need for a cross-bolt in a 318?

Rick

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
Re: Westley-Richards .318 Restoration (Re: RobertL -HeymSR) [Re: 375Brno]
      #222484 - 29/12/12 08:07 AM

.318 is basicly a .33 cal in a 30-06 case. Nothing drastic.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17530

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com