Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The .41 Colt Part I: The Making of Accurate Smokeless Loads

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Ardent
.275 member

Reged: 19/11/12
Loc: Northern British Columbia, Can...
The .41 Colt Part I: The Making of Accurate Smokeless Loads
      #220488 - 29/11/12 04:32 AM

Broke what was for me new ground in the .41 Colt in my 1897 production SAA, and a write up on the history and development of the .41 Colt. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.morrisonarms.com/2012/06/the-41-colt-part-i/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: The .41 Colt Part I: The Making of Accurate Smokeless Loads [Re: Ardent]
      #220494 - 29/11/12 06:11 AM

yes, outside lubricated cartridges are the real challenge for the handloader

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
Re: The .41 Colt Part I: The Making of Accurate Smokeless Loads [Re: lancaster]
      #220495 - 29/11/12 06:57 AM

I recently read a magazine article on reloading the 310 Cadet cartridge and wrote this letter to the editor:

"I found Jeff Brown’s article on reloading the 310 Cadet very interesting but he doesn’t tackle the problem of crimping a heel base bullet into the case. I reload the 380 Rook cartridge and find that a crimp on the base of the bullet helps burning of the powder and improves accuracy. The normal methods of applying a crimp don’t work with a heel base bullet and the usual suggestions of using a blunt knife, wire strippers or drilled out pliers just seem a bit haphazard.

Fortunately I have a very bright pal. He reloads the 310 Cadet and uses a Lee 303 British collet crimp die to crimp in the heel base bullet. He achieves this by suspending the cartridge in through the top of the die. He has made up a two stage collar to hold the cartridge in place. The first stage sits in the top of the die and merely serves to centralise the cartridge, the second, wider stage has to be a precise depth as it controls the amount that the cartridge dangles into the die and hence where the crimp comes. All he does is place the cartridge in the collar, put the collar in the top of the die and apply firm thumb pressure to the base of the case while he raises the ram on the press. The result is a consistent and accurately placed crimp.

I have pinched his idea and use a Lee 35 Remington die to crimp my 380 Rook cartridges. I’ve extended the idea by crimping the bullet in place and then slipping a thick washer onto the cartridge before putting it back into the collar. This raises it in the die so I can then crimp a deeper grease groove into the bullet and hand lube it."

I found Trail Boss to be a very good powder for the 380 Rook.

Ardent
.275 member

Reged: 19/11/12
Loc: Northern British Columbia, Can...
Re: The .41 Colt Part I: The Making of Accurate Smokeless Loads [Re: Oldbrit]
      #220509 - 29/11/12 10:34 AM

I had thought about finding a way to make the Lee factory crimp dies work, I like the bushing on top idea thanks for that.

--------------------
www.morrisonarms.com

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
Re: The .41 Colt Part I: The Making of Accurate Smokeless Loads [Re: Ardent]
      #220551 - 29/11/12 09:26 PM

Ardent,

I haven't tried this yet myself but I think the Lee die might work even better if you used a conical stone and brought the teeth of the collet to more of a chisel edge. In the 380, if I'm not very careful, I can compress the heel of the bullet when I crimp, the case springs back a little and I can then rotate the bullet in the case. I'll report back if and when I try it. If you get around to it I'd be very interested in the result.

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
Re: The .41 Colt Part I: The Making of Accurate Smokeless Loads [Re: Oldbrit]
      #222506 - 29/12/12 06:00 PM

Lee will also make a custom factory collet crimp die for you. You need to send them a sample case with seated bullet and drill a large hole in the side of the case-base to show (customs?), it's not a loaded round. Lee will return these with the new die. I did so with a 5.6 SE vom Hofe several years ago. I'd email them first to make sure they still offer this service, but Colin Greenwood refers to this option in his book on rook rifles. Being heeled bullets, they can't be readily crimped in the normal way as the bullet diameter precludes it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2656

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com