Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "perfectly Shot" videos

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
SteveM
.224 member

Reged: 20/08/04
Loc: Alberta, CAN
"perfectly Shot" videos
      #21975 - 09/12/04 02:53 AM

Hey Everyone

After reading the thread on Mark Sullivan I thought I'd bring up another Marc. Recently I've been buying and enjoying the 'Perfectly Shot' videos featuring Marc Watts (former CNN correspondent). I was wondering if anyone else has seen these and if you have any comments, etc. He definitely takes shots I would never attempt (or be capable of doing) but he sure can 'walk the talk'. I also like that he shows what guns he is shooting and bullet weights, etc. The Rigby .577 that he uses on his most recent African safari (Zambia) is a real beauty. By the way apparently Marc is one of the new owners of J. Rigby & Sons.

For those of you who haven't seen his stuff here is his website:

http://www.sabletrailproductions.com/

SteveM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: "perfectly Shot" videos [Re: SteveM]
      #21980 - 09/12/04 03:57 AM

I had a look at the website, and the videos might be good. One thing does make me wonder though. In several of the video discriptions, they seemed to make a big deal out of how far away various game was shot.

On the one named "Africas Perfectly Shot Plainsgame" it said: "12 One-Shot Trophy Kills In All! up to 475 yds. Away Including:..."

To each his own, but I prefer hunting, and not just long range shooting.

Erik

SteveM
.224 member

Reged: 20/08/04
Loc: Alberta, CAN
Re: "perfectly Shot" videos [Re: EricD]
      #21984 - 09/12/04 06:31 AM

Erik

He does take some long shots although the bigger the animal the closer he generally gets. The 475 yd shot they talk about was on a warthog which dropped immediately. The camera was zoomed in and you could see the hit, then they zoomed back to show how far it actually was.

It's not my cup of tea either (you can never be too close IMO) but then again I'm not the marksman he is either. It is impressive to watch though.

SteveM

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: "perfectly Shot" videos [Re: SteveM]
      #22009 - 09/12/04 01:41 PM

That 475 yard shot is way beyond the capability of most shooters. However, there are those who routinely practice at those ranges and even further. If you practice those long shots, know your equipment, and the equipment is up to it, I say go for it. There is a group of deer hunters here in Pennsylvania who routinely shoot deer at 1000 yards and longer, from the side of one mountain to another. They have specialized rifles, range finders, and practice all year round at those distances. I'm certainly not capable of taking shots like that, but that doesn't mean someone else isn't. Just to clarify one thing though: shooting at those ranges isn't hunting in my book, just shooting, because other than being able to spot the game at those distances, and doping the distance properly, no other hunting skills are involved IMO.

DETCORD
.224 member

Reged: 20/04/04
Re: "perfectly Shot" videos [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #23412 - 04/01/05 07:52 AM

I HAVE WATCHED ALL THREE OF MARCS AFRICAN VIDEOS, AND WAS NOT VERY IMPRESSED. THE FIRST TWO VIDEOS, WHICH WERE FILMED IN ELLISRAS, SOUTH AFRICA AT RHINOLAND SAFARIS, WERE IN MY OPINION HORRIBLE. THE FILMING WAS TRUE BROADCAST QUALITY, AND THE PHOTOGRAPHER WAS OUTSTANDING, BUT MY PROBLEM WAS WITH MARC'S ATTITUDE, REMARKS, AND METHOD OF HUNTING. SHOOTING FROM THE VEHICLE, LAUGHING AFTER HE SHOOTS SEVERAL ANIMALS, I.E. THE OSTRICH, AND ACTING LIKE HE IS IN KENYA IN THE 1920'S. THESE ARE FENCED IN GAME RANCHES NOT OPEN CONCESSION AREAS. ALTHOUGH THE TITLE IS "PERFECTLY SHOT", VERY FEW ARE IN FACT PERFECT, I.E. GUT SHOT. WHILE MARC IS BRAGGING ON CAMERA OF HIS PERFECT ONE SHOT KILL, YOU CAN SEE THE PH IN THE BACKGROUND WRESTLING WITH THE VERY ALIVE ANIMAL. I.E. SABLE. I HAVE TALKED TO MARK ABOUT MY DISSAPOINTMNT IN THESE FIRST TWO VIDEOS, AND HE ADMITTED THAT HE MADE MANY MISTAKES AND REGRETS HIS COMMENTS,LAUGHING AND SHOOTING FROM THE VEHICLE. HE SENT ME THE ZAMBIAN HUNT WHICH HE DID LAST YEAR, AND AGAIN THE PHOTOGRAPHY IS FANTASTIC, BUT IN MY OPINION, HE IS STILL CONCERNED WITH BEING TOLD EVERY THREE MINUTES HOW GREAT HE IS, AND LESS CONCERNED ABUT THE GREAT ANIMALS HE IS VERY FORTUNATE HARVEST.

ArizonaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 08/03/07
Loc: Arizona
Marc Watts: A Question of Veracity? [Re: DETCORD]
      #95957 - 04/02/08 05:56 PM

I've had the opportunity to watch several of Marc Watts' videos of late, and have to agree on several points already made: He makes impressive, long range shots, to be sure. But he also spends an inordinate amount of each video playing and replaying, and replaying again, laudatory comments from the PH to the trackers. There is little economy applied to the self-congratulation or the exaltation of ego throughout the movies. That said, the impressive production quality of the videos, coupled with their play length (well over two hours) makes them standouts, particularly among those offerings that appear to be little more than home movies cobbled together and sold, it would seem, as vehicles to defray the safari costs.

A more troubling issue with Watts' videos, however, has come to light -- for me, at least. Is he being honest with his viewers? One of his most recent videos, 'Fire and Ice', gives the account of a hunt with Chifuti Safaris, made famous in part by Craig Boddington. Boddington's co-star, if you will, in several of his videos is well known African PH Andrew Dawson, who enjoys a well-deserved reputation in the safari industry. As Watts' video plays out, there is a less-than subtle angle that Dawson is maybe not-quite racist, but certainly uncomfortable with his black client (Watts). Dawson unfortunately opens the door for this by saying to the camera that he isn't quite sure what to expect from a black client, seeing as he's never had one before. An innocent if not particularly sage comment to make -- at least on camera. Watts exploits it to the full, and Dawson's remark is replayed several times to somehow underscore what becomes an underlying theme of 'Fire and Ice': The two simply don't get along early in the hunt. Watts is shown to feel both uncomfortable and rebellious (the latter manifesting itself in his boasting of taking shots that Dawson advises against).

As the video concludes, there seems to be some 'rapprochement', and before the end, bonhomie has broken out and all appears well between the two. But, unsettling is the fact that the viewer is left wondering what Dawson did to so alienate his client in the first place. Was he really just more accustomed to ordering blacks around, like his staff, rather than serve them, as he was obliged to with Watts? Did Watts suffer some unrevealed indignities at the hands of this white hunter?

Also, throughout the movie, with few exceptions, Watts goes out of his way to drum into the viewers head that his shots are exceptional (some of which are, to be sure), and his hunting judgment sometimes superior to those of his PH -- Dawson. For example, Watts revels in telling how he made a neck shot on a sable bull, despite Dawson explicitly recommending against that particular shot placement. More significant was a defining moment early on that arises when Watts implies that Dawson has pressured him to take a shot on a buffalo that Watts believes is simply not well situated for a solid shot. Watts says that he refused to shoot, and as they walk away, the voice-over of Watts has him recount Dawson's displeasure; he goes on to counsel the viewer never to take a shot you are not comfortable with, no matter what the PH may say.

Okay, that's all well and good but herein lies the rub: In reading Boddington's latest tome 'Tracks Across Africa - Another Ten Years' (and I must say another fine piece of work from someone who is arguably the literary heir - in content and quantity, if not style - of Roosevelt, Hemingway, Ruark, and Capstick), he mentions the very safari that Watts was on with Dawson. In fact, he was there (and the video shows the two meeting and briefly hunting together) and bore witness to much of what took place. He doesn't say anything untoward about Watts, but he does reveal that on that safari, Watts shot and lost a buffalo!

Now, while Watts will very occasionally admit to the odd bad shot, he makes his bread and butter in these movies extolling his 'perfect shot' approach to hunting. In terms of candor, and particularly given Watts' background as a journalist (he was a reporter for CNN some years past), you would think that that piece of information would have found its way into the video, which it doesn't. Okay, maybe if I'm doing a video I might want to edit out the embarrassing bits, but not at the expense of perhaps giving an insight as to why my PH and I may have had a rough patch early on -- especially if I go out of my way to play up that particular element as a 'device' in the movie. At best, that's simply not being forthright; at worst, it's not being honest.

My point is not to sully Watts reputation, nor imply anything apart from this: Based on Boddington's report that Watts wounded and lost a buffalo in his hunt with Dawson, just maybe that was a contributing factor to the two of them not being all chummy early on -- particularly if the shot was not made in accordance with Dawson's recommendations. The latter, of course, is speculation, but Watts invites this upon himself for failing to even mention that 'Bwana Moja', as he likes to be called (which roughly translates into 'one-shot hunter'), not only made a poor shot, but lost a wounded trophy.

If I'm wrong here, and maybe I've missed something, please let me know. Maybe Boddington got it wrong in his book (though I doubt it, given his extraordinary candor about his own missed shots in both videos, lectures, and writing). But if Boddington is correct, and Watts lost a buffalo, it does cast a different light on Dawson -- a light that is a little more sympathetic than the one Watts chose to apply in his video.

Edited by KPete (04/02/08 07:33 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Marc Watts: A Question of Veracity? [Re: ArizonaHunter]
      #95960 - 04/02/08 07:07 PM

"Bwana Moja". Sounds like it should read "Bwana Tool"..

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #95980 - 05/02/08 12:46 AM

I have visited with several in the "Know" about the hunt you are referring too...and what I come away with Marc Watts is all about Marc Watts...arrogance is beyond approach....

As to the wounded/lost buffalo--from what I heard that is indeed the case. In addition the hunt was generally well received by both parties and yet after the hunt and it come time to edit..that several items were brought up by Watts..IMHO, Watts needs to market and sell his dvd's and therefore needs to cause some sort of publicity stunt..personally I think he is a bit of a blow-hole.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Marc Watts: A Question of Veracity? [Re: Ripp]
      #98018 - 01/03/08 08:06 AM

Thats it in a nutshell ..publicity! I am not a huge fan of hunting vids unless they are of excellent quality and 95% of them are shite that i have seen, however the conjecture re this vid has me wanting to see it...publicity works!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Marc Watts: A Question of Veracity? [Re: gryphon]
      #98022 - 01/03/08 08:56 AM

So Mr Watts likes to be called "Bwana Moja".

Having made a reference and issue in this video appaently about race I find that interesting.

I wonder how Mr Watts would feel if I insisted that he call me "Masser" "Sir" or "Lord"

Perhaps he just should have told the "boys" to call him Baas.

ArizonaHunter
.224 member

Reged: 08/03/07
Loc: Arizona
Re: Marc Watts: A Question of Veracity? [Re: Bramble]
      #98506 - 06/03/08 01:21 PM

Not to beat a dead 'buffalo', but as a follow-up to my previous post where I question the veracity of Marc Watts in his video 'Fire & Ice', I thought it might be illustrative to point out the following quote from Mr. Watts regarding his approach to hunting, his videos, and his views on others in the business:

"I'm hoping our Perfectly Shot Videos line has raised the bar. I'm seeing less and less staging and re-enactments, but still too much of it on The Outdoor Channel and VERSUS. There's no place for this in the hunting world, for it robs the viewer of the integrity and honesty of the hunt. If the host is going to fake or re-create something in a hunting sequence, who knows what else he's not being truthful about?" [Source: Marc Watts Website - www.sabletrailproductions.com]

If, in fact, Watts shot, wounded, and lost a buffalo on his hunt with Chifuti Safaris' Andrew Dawson, and failed to reveal that to his viewers, what does that say about his "integrity and honesty (regarding that) hunt"? Especially when that fact may account for the friction between Watts and Dawson more so than any 'racial' or 'heritage' issue, as Watts has repeatedly alleged.

Edited by KPete (06/03/08 02:38 PM)

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #98509 - 06/03/08 01:47 PM

I think it is completely unnecessary for him to create artificial conflicts and controvery in his videos.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Marc Watts: A Question of Veracity? [Re: 500grains]
      #98539 - 07/03/08 12:26 AM

Read last night in the latest SCI journal that it appears Mr. Watts is possibly done with hunting dvd's and possible re-entering the world of journalism..stated he had another, and what is presumed to be final hunting dvd coming out where he hunted it Johan of Botwswana--from the brief description it would appear it will be more of the same ego building propaganda... basically, seen one you've seen them all..IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Marc Watts: A Question of Veracity? [Re: Ripp]
      #98540 - 07/03/08 01:00 AM

Quote:

Read last night in the latest SCI journal that it appears Mr. Watts is possibly done with hunting dvd's and possible re-entering the world of journalism..stated he had another, and what is presumed to be final hunting dvd coming out where he hunted it Johan of Botwswana--from the brief description it would appear it will be more of the same ego building propaganda... basically, seen one you've seen them all..IMHO..

Ripp

Great post.

Since when has the gun writing "profession" been a great repository of Truth?

Since when has the journalism "profession" been a great repository of Truth?

Possibly Mr. Watts has drawn the line clearly for those who have trouble connecting the dots.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Marc Watts: A Question of Veracity? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #98549 - 07/03/08 02:00 AM

he gets his hunts paid for,wish i could have the start up money to fund my hunts.i would name it ''DOUBLE RIFLE IN THE HANDS OF THE ULTIMATE PREDITOR'' OR ''I HAVE NEVER BEEN ON TV WATCH ME HUNT'' ''POOR OLD FAT MAN NEEDS MONEY YO HUNT'' need to be shot in wide screen mode.never before filmed charged by the killer duiker,all donations will be gladly transfered to bank next adventure.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4651

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com