Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Boars out of control in Germany

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
Story
.333 member

Reged: 15/10/08
Loc: SE PA, USA
Boars out of control in Germany
      #117127 - 18/10/08 12:03 AM

Numbers of wild boars surge
Fri Oct 3, 2008 6:59pm EDT

BERLIN (Reuters) - Wild boars are breeding at a huge rate in Germany and wreaking greater havoc than in any other European country by destroying crops, killing pets and even attacking people, according to a new study.

Findings by the Hanover-based Institute of Wildlife Research show that Germany's boar population rose by 320 percent last year because of better access to food and bigger litters of young.

"It's impossible for their habitat to adapt to a surge of this degree," the institute's Gunter Sodeikat said.

Increasingly encroaching on suburban areas, boars have been reported attacking people, killing pets, and digging up corpses in cemeteries. Graveyards and gardens are being ravaged daily , police say.

The surge has also caused mounting destruction of crops and raised the risk of swine fever spreading, Sodeikat said.

According to the institute, the boar boom is exceptional in Germany, though it is not yet clear why.

"German litters have six to eight piglets on average, other countries usually only about four or five," the study said.

Unfortunately, a 72 year old hunter was recently killed by one.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,583377,00.html
The Boar War, which has been quietly raging in Germany for months, has claimed its first human victim. Late Wednesday evening in a village not far from Berlin, an enraged and hungry wild boar attacked a hunter, who then bled to death.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: Story]
      #117135 - 18/10/08 03:24 AM

Hello Story ! Welcome to this forum ! The news You posted are somehow good news for me as a hunter, although too many wild boars couse lots of trouble here, hunters that hold a hunting lease have to pay for the damage these black bandits do in the fields, which might be thousands of Euros a year.
I see the main reasons for the increase of the numbers of wild boars in Germany in the global warming, mild winters without little or no snow at all greatly increase the survival rate of the piggies besides the lack of possibilities to shoot them for the simple reason that without snow You cannot see those black boars at night, even with a little moonlight.
Another reason is the growing tendency to plant corn (maize) on the fields for producing bio-fuel. Once the wild boars are within the corn-field they are safe there and stay there for a long time, making a real mess in those fields.
The fatal accidents during wild boar hunting are a regular occurence, every year hunters get killed while following wounded wild boars, which are considered the last dangerous game here in Germany.

Kalunga

Wicked good hunting !!!

Story
.333 member

Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: Kalunga]
      #117148 - 18/10/08 06:42 AM

Thanks, Kalunga. There seems to be an increasing number of feral hogs in the U.S. as well, although I wonder.

The last time I demobilized, I planned to take up a buddy's invitation to go hunting wild boar with him in southern Miss. (right on the Gulf, across from NOLA). He'd go in a canoe, and the only tricky part was if his shot only wounded: then he'd have to dismount and go into the reeds after them.

I planned to take a 6.5 Carcano cavalry carbine, short & handy with a folding spike bayonet. My timing was bad - I got home in mid-2005, Hurricane Katrina rolled in and scuttled any plans for that area until it was too late for me to cut free.

Carcano
.224 member

Reged: 19/10/08
Loc: Old Europe
      #117251 - 20/10/08 03:18 AM

A Carcano cavalry carbine (preferably a M 91/38 with its fixed rear sight) is not a bad gun for the somewhat smaller feral hogs of US and other foreign provenance. The heavy 160 grains bullet gives good penetration, and in its FMJ incarnation will take any big game on earth, supposing precise shot placement. Even under German hunting law, the 6,5x52 Carcano is still (though barely) legal on all cloven-hoof game.

However, for hunting or target shooting you'll either have to secure custom-made bullets in the proper diameter (*not* the common .264", but .266"-.268"), or you'll have to experiment until you find a smaller bullet that still gives sufficient bore obturation.

Regards, Carcano

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: Carcano]
      #117273 - 20/10/08 11:43 AM

Good advise. I have read the same for the 8X57I (.318 inch) long 220 gr bullets. They work well in my '88 Mauser sporters. I have the same Cavalry carbine Carcano. It is a delight to shoot. I would bring it to hunt boar.
Thanks the insight.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Story
.333 member

Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: Carcano]
      #117429 - 22/10/08 07:27 PM

Quote:

A Carcano cavalry carbine (preferably a M 91/38 with its fixed rear sight) is not a bad gun for the somewhat smaller feral hogs of US and other foreign provenance. The heavy 160 grains bullet gives good penetration, and in its FMJ incarnation will take any big game on earth, supposing precise shot placement.

I've found the 156 grain Norma Alaskan rounds are fairly accurate with my carbine's fixed sights out to about 75 meters (which is about the line-of-sight range I expect in those swamps).

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #117756 - 28/10/08 01:37 AM

In France too, wild boars are out of control. Corn only can't explain the surge of the population. In my opinion, last year we didn't shoot enough pigs. As Spring was mild and dry, most of the piglets survived.
For the first time we are pressed to shoot sows. We can spare only the leading sows and the sows with sucklings in tow. It's really anticlimatic to see so many sows shot at the end of the driven hunts. Last year, we would have been fined.
Yesterday I shot 3 sows and a boar. I felt guilty but I was congratulated?????

I agree with You, tracking a wounded hog in a cornfield guarantees plenty of adrenalin. When dealing with a big boar (keiler) we do our best to find some hounds to help keep the boar at bay. Last year my friend Marc had the barrels of his lovely Demas double chewed by a wounded boar in a corn field. Twice shot in the boiler (Blatschuss), he managed to charge again and Marc had to fend him off with the barrels of the double deeply stuck in the keiler's spout. No need to go to Africa to meet DG.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: larcher]
      #117761 - 28/10/08 03:51 AM

This must be a worldwide phenomenon. The Boar population here in Pennsylvania (USA) is really exploding. I'm going on a boar hunt over the first weekend in November and plan to hunt them by stalking and also from a stand. Even though they cause incredible crop damage, the sportmen will be happy to see the increase in boar numbers.

--------------------

Story
.333 member

#159787 - 01/05/10 10:10 AM

Good Lord, what happens when they figure out how to fire the damn things?

German pigs find World War II anti-tank weapon
Associated Press
Posted on April 30, 2010 at 7:02 AM
BERLIN (AP) — German police say a couple of hungry pigs digging for food came nose-to-nose with a long-buried World War II anti-tank weapon.
Police said Friday the two pigs found the single-shot "panzerfaust" on private land southwest of Dresden.
The pigs' owner secured the animals in their stall then called police who were able to remove the weapon and destroy it.
The inexpensive and easy-to-operate panzerfaust was used extensively during the defense of Germany and through the rest of the war. Such finds are still relatively common, even 65 years after the end of the war.
http://www.kgw.com/news/world/92501084.html

The English rabbits are already striking back.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawk914/2159973655/

Edited by Story (01/05/10 10:12 AM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #159797 - 01/05/10 04:44 PM

LOL, I know the farmers won't agree but I'd love them to get to huntable numbers in the UK !

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: larcher]
      #159809 - 02/05/10 03:37 AM

Quote:

In France too, wild boars are out of control.

Here it's illegal aliens.

Story
.333 member

Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: 500grains]
      #172755 - 07/12/10 12:20 PM

BERLIN – A small-town German butcher said on Monday he faces steep bills after a wild boar tore through his shop in an hour-long rampage but will at least recover some of his losses by selling slices of the slain beast. The boar wandered out of a nearby forest and into the shop and caused about 5,000 euros ($6,600) in damage before being shot by a local hunter, butcher Rainer Kraemer told Reuters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101206/od_n...2lsZGJvYXJhdHRh

Story
.333 member

#218684 - 31/10/12 05:16 AM

BERLIN (AP) -- Berlin authorities say they shot and killed a 120 kilogram (265-pound) wild boar after it attacked and injured four people including a police officer in a residential neighborhood.

Police said Tuesday the boar bit a 74-year-old man on the back and leg, and knocked a 74-year-old woman to the ground and injured her hip on Monday afternoon in the Charlottenburg area of the capital. It also bit a 24-year-old woman before she climbed aboard a parked car to safety. All three were treated in a hospital.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/E...-10-30-05-10-28

Viking338
.333 member

Reged: 11/08/11
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #218695 - 31/10/12 10:09 AM

Need to send Neale ( Fatboy404) and his dogs Duke and George over. I am sure he would make a dent in the numbers in no time

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: Viking338]
      #218713 - 31/10/12 05:11 PM

2012 is predicted to be a huge year for boar in Europe due to the mild weather in the last twelve months. The boar is predicted to really have built up large populations, so shoot numbers are expected to be record breaking. Or at least very high.

The German guys hunting with Staffan and I in Sweden were commenting on it, and I heard it from French sources as well.

See they're everywhere!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: NitroX]
      #218732 - 31/10/12 08:50 PM

Perhaps that's what the Aussie swimming team needed...

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Boars out of control in Germany [Re: Ben]
      #218778 - 01/11/12 05:02 AM

Last autumn was really good for beechnuts etc at least in some parts of the Germany. What I did saw there is that quite many sow got their first litter of piglets one year earlier than normal.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13006

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com