Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New guy with a double question.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
BrnBear
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: USA
New guy with a double question.
      #21824 - 07/12/04 04:56 AM

Howdy:
My first post, so be gentile.
I found a double in a gun shop which is a 9.3 x 16ga. I was in a hurry to catch a plane so didn't have time to take pics or examine it at length. It had nice engraving and excellent fit. No visible rust and fair wood. Being a new guy to the double world, I had never seen a double with a shotgun on one side. Is this unusual? The only markings I remember is "DRGM" in a circular pattern on the bottom of the action. It isn't a new gun. From the overall appearance of it, I'm sure it is an older double. I'm in Alaska and the gun is in The Lower forty eight. I will attempt to get pics taken and post them here. The asking price was $1250US.
With the limited info I have, I expect it will be hard to get any info on it.
Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: New guy with a double question. [Re: BrnBear]
      #21830 - 07/12/04 07:01 AM

A side by side gun with one shot barrel and one rifle barrel is referred to as a "Cape gun". An over under gun with one shot barrel and one rifle barrel is referred to as a "combination gun". The term "double" implies that both barrels are chambered for the same cartridge. No, it's not all that unusual. I will defer to others on this forum as far as the value is concerned.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #21832 - 07/12/04 07:11 AM

New Guy , the firearm you are discribing is called a "CAPE GUN", they are usually rifle on the right barrel, and the shot barrel on the left. Most are 16ga, but there again most are chambered for the 2 1/2" shell, and are mostly very full choke. The 9mm on the rifle barrel will have as much to do with it's value more than anything else. If it is a 9x57R it will be easy to handload rounds for it, however, if it is a 9.3X72R is not a very popular cartridge, and will negatively effect the worth. If it happens to be a 9.3X74R then the price, they are asking, is cheap, if the gun is in excelent shape. The shot tube can be opened up to 2 3/4" , and the choke opened up to Modified at not very high cost, but must be done by someone who understands doubles, especially double rifles. Most all smiths do good work on things like K-Mart Mod 700 Rem, but you have to be very careful who you let touch your doubles. A blunder on any double can be a disaster, and completely destroy it

I have a couple of these cape guns, and they are very handy hunting guns. Is the one you are looking at a hammer gun, or hammerless?

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #21833 - 07/12/04 07:11 AM

I would be willing to bet that the rifle you are looking at is of German origin. If my memory serves me, I believe the stamp means "Deutsches Reichs Gebrauchs Muster" with a close translation being "German empire protected Trademark" OR or literally "German empire of use pattern."

My father in law is Austrian and does a lot of hunting there. All of the hunters (his friends) that I have met love their "drilling rifles." That is, a weapon with up to three barrels with varying calibers. My father in law has a nice drilling that he hunts everything with--boar, stag, small game.

Hope it helps.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #21844 - 07/12/04 08:53 AM

Welcome BrnBear to NE.com

If as Mac suggests the rifle might be a 9.3x74mm Rimmed and is in good condition, it would be nice to own and use.

Loaded with brenneckes and a 285 gr RNSP quite a good rifle for close in brown bears I would guess.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

BrnBear
.224 member

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: USA
Re: New guy with a double question. [Re: NitroX]
      #21849 - 07/12/04 09:32 AM

It looks like I asked the question in the right place!
I've already learned its not a double but a Cape Gun, and info on different 9.3 calibers. The gun is hammerless, 16ga. is right bbl and it has scope mounts built into the top of the bbls.
I just called the owner. It is a 9.3x72R, Model Cape, S/N 5xx. Mfg. name is unreadable.
I'll have a friend down there take pics and sent them to me. I will then post them here.
I use a .50 Alaskan lever for Brownies in the brush. If I buy it, I probably won't use it unless I go back to Africa.
By the way, I post on Accuratereloading as TJ.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #21874 - 07/12/04 02:50 PM

In reply to:

It is a 9.3x72R, Model Cape, S/N 5xx. Mfg. name is unreadable

That is unfortunent! That is the reason for the low price! The 9.3X72R is, at best, light even for whitetail! The 9.3X72R pushes a 193 gr bullet at only 1925 fps at muzzle, and is only 1600 fps @ 100 yds. This cape gun would make a nice coyote rifle for a varment caller, but the 16 ga with a Brenneke slug would be OK for deer. The 9.3X74R pushes a 285 gr bullet at 2330 fps at muzzle, and is till clipping along at 1605 at 300 yds.

It might be re-chambered to 9.3X74R, if the gun is in extra fine shape, but most 9.3X72Rs are quite old, and may not be suitable for the re-chamber.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1807

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com