Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: European Game

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
European Game
      #1674 - 16/02/03 06:24 PM

Roe Deer (Europe) (Capreolus capreolus)

Photo from my Poland hunt 2001

Subspecies: We have not included any of the subspecies of Capreolus capreolus, as the authors dissagree about their status as individual subspecies.

Distribution: All the European countries with the exception of Ireland, Iceland and the southern part of Spain, Italy and Greece. The Roe Deer is not found on any of the islands in the Mediterranean.

Habitat: Found in most kinds of habitat. Coniferous and broad leaf woodland, open pasture country, wetlands and moors. The Roe Deer is also found at all altitudes, from the lowest lowland to all kinds of high ground and even in the mountains of Europe. The Roe Deer has the widest distribution of any deer in Europe.

Description: Smallish deer reaching a weight of 18-25 kg with a shoulder height of 75 cm. General colour is rufous brown in summer and greyish brown in winter. The antlers are rugose three points with tines pointing both forwards and backwards.

Hunting method: Stalking or lying in wait.

Best Trophy: SCI: 59 2/8 point, CIC: 246,90 point.

Hunting available in: In all areas of distribution, with the exception of Finland.

Source Diana Hunting tours

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: European Game [Re: cchunter]
      #1690 - 18/02/03 05:40 AM

CC nice buck mate with a bit of length.I must say your camo tends to stand you out in the greenery behind you mate not that it has stopped you from harvesting the buck,i also believe that your solid one colour hat could at times hinder your blending in as well--have you given any thought to another choice of gear? This is NOT a criticism just an observation from an experienced deer hunter,we did find that a solid colour beanie hat let the deer track us visually a lot more easily thats all.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

cchunter
.375 member

Re: European Game [Re: gryphon]
      #1691 - 18/02/03 06:53 AM

Gryphon

The camo worked better in the forest were we mostly did our stalking watching over the fields. I also used a hood(?) over my face and I dont think the deer were bothered about my hat. The hat helped me though from getting the sun in my eyes.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #2103 - 20/03/03 12:10 AM

I have hunted roe deer but to date haven't scored on them.

When I was living in England I travelled up to Northumberland on the Scottish border to stalk and hunt a roe stag on a Grouse estate which had a pine plantation of it. Owned by some Viscount something or other.

I was to borrow the Gamekeeprs rifle which was a CZ Brno .243. Arriving by train at Newcastle I picked up a hire car and drove out to the estate. Met up while the gamekeeper and had a quick look around the estate and he also tested me if I could shoot and hit something. Driving to an old quarry on the estate he picked out a marked on the cliff opposite and asked me to hit it. I fired and hit the mark I was aiming at, which turned out to be a different mark. He asked me to hit the same mark again which I did.

Off to a quaint old B&B for dinner and the night.

Up before dawn the next morning I drove out to the estate and met the Gamekeeper. The plan was to hunt through some sections of the forest and then if I wished I could sit for a couple of hours at a highseat with the Gamekeeper did something he had to do. During the middle of the day he was off to a fox drive with other gamekeepers so I would be at a loose end and spend the time however I wanted. It takes some getting used to all these rules in Europe compared to the freedom we have at home. Each day would consist of two "stalks" with a break in the middle of the day.

We walked along various paths in the forest always being careful when crossing tracks to look up and down the dividing tracks to try to catch a stag crossing. Up and down a few hills as well.

The best chance we had was a large open clearing where the trees had been felled several months before. The ground was littered with stumps and freshly grown bushes. Stopping in the shadows at the edge and hidden by bushes we scanned the clearing and sighted several roe at the far side of the clearing, but we were "sprung" by them attempting to stalk across the clearing. None of these roe were good stags anyway - just does and fawns.

Lunchtime came too early and I sat in an open highseat for an hour. The Gamekeeper (I think his name was Phillip) had said there was a very good but smart stag in this area. I approached the highseat fromn the appropriate direction but was hampered by the noisy twigs, leaves etc underfoot. Climbed the highseat and sat still for a half hour. The stag did come but stayed fifty metres in the forest and barked at me repeatedly. He knew something was wrong. No luck.

Left the highseat, made my way back to the car and drove around the corner. What do I see? Fifty hikers marching along the path and road! Again Europe. The path was a public right of way and people walked along it all bloody day. Pity I didn't know before as I might have taken a shot in that direction. It was only 150 metres along from the highseat but couldn't easily be seen from there due to the growth.

Returned the rifle to the gamekeeper who needed it for the fox drive. Now what to do? Why not drive to Scotland, only 20 or so kilometres away so I did and had lunch in Scotland. Northumberland was once part of Scotland and looked like it. No difference in the terrain at all. A pleasant drive having a look at the countryside on the trip out and back again.

Back to the estate for the evening hunt sighting a few roe but no decent stags. The last animal spotted was a stag, probably not that big that we surprised in the middle of a track before running at top speed directly away along the tracks. Aimed at it just for practice but the low light and deep shadows of the evening made it a risky shot.

Back to the B&B for the night - I remember the meal was very nice and had a glass of Glayva afterwards - and back to Newcastle to catch a late morning train back to London.

Enjoyed the brief hunt and if I had time for a three day stalk would almost certainly have scored at least one stag. One problem if I had scored was they don't know about shoudler mounts. Roe stags are very nice trophies and I would have wanted a shoulder mount, but most taxidermied jobs there are just the neck and head. The chop off the head and sell the carcase to a game dealer who butchers the animal for human consumption. If the shoulder is skinned the carcase can not be sold. I would have bought the whole bloody thing rather than end up with just half a head-skin. Even own farm use of game carcases need to be processed by a butcher - ie for eating by the owners or staff on the property that harvests the game or farm animals. TOO MANY BLOODY RULES!

Roe deer and wild boar are my number one targets when I get back there again oneday.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Re: European Game [Re: NitroX]
      #2107 - 20/03/03 05:25 AM

John

Sorry you did not get anything on that hunt. We should try Poland I think when you get here. They have both Wild Boars and Roe. And the roes should not be to hard to take 3-5 in four days. For the boars you have to get timing with the full moon.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

gryphon
.450 member

Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #2113 - 20/03/03 10:15 AM

Yes Nitro rules and more rules compared to our freedom of hunting here in Oz. Nice story above but this bit got me "Returned the rifle to the gamekeeper who needed it for the fox drive."
Why did he want a centrefire for a driven game hunt when the game are generally running and rifles in hunt conditions like that tend to be on the dangerous side for the beaters etc with fly`s and ricochets possible.
Just wondering not picking thats all.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #2185 - 25/03/03 12:15 AM

Wow, nice deer there Christer!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: European Game [Re: gryphon]
      #2186 - 25/03/03 01:10 AM

I was wondering where I read a question from Gryphon and Anne has helped me find it.

Gryphon

The story from the Gamekeeper was that he had to attend a fox drive in the middle of the day and I needed to return the rifle before he went.

The drive wasn't public or with clients (etc). It was other gamekeepers from neighbouring estates and other farm staff. The purpose - to walk the grouse moors and kill as many foxes and other grouse eating vermin as they could. I think they did it in turns on each others estates and fields.

Your question regarding the use of a .243. He "said" he needed it for the drive. Maybe he just wanted it back before he left the estate. Quite reasonable as he doesn't know me.

On the other hand for the drive there would be no line of shooters and a second line of beaters. Beaters and shooters would be the same line so it would be quite feasible and sensible to have a mixture of guns and rifles. A rifle at each edge of the line would be quite sensible to get anything that tries to flee past the line.

I am going to post an article very soon on a "Hunt Club" of which my Grandfather was a member. Usually a Hunt Club is all talley-ho, red coats, hounds, horses and foxes (or stags). But this was an Australian hunting club that held a shoot on the King's (or Queen's) Birthday holiday weekend each year.

They "drove" the fields and hunted foxes and hares. Numerous rabbits were also shot but there were too many so they didn't count for points. Similar to what I described above.

This club started in the late 1800's and unfortunately ceased in the 1950's or 1960's.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2140

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com