Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ P-09 Duty Review--per GUNS AND AMMO...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
CZ P-09 Duty Review--per GUNS AND AMMO...
      #217449 - 01/10/12 11:58 PM

The CZ Duty series is the most underrated line of 9mm and .40-caliber pistols to be found. In the summer of 2009, I began an extensive evaluation of the P-07 Duty that spanned six months. Though it was buried in mud, crushed on gravel and dropped from various angles and heights onto concrete (primed case in the chamber, of course), the safety systems never failed and the pistol continued to produce sub-three-inch groups from 25 yards—even after firing thousands of rounds.

Based on the short-recoil, locked-breech design principles of John Browning’s linkless cam locking system, the new P-09 Duty represents yet another evolution of the company’s duty pistols that goes back to the CZ 75 (a non-1911 that even Jeff Cooper praised).

Specifically, the Duty line is most closely related to the CZ-75B models with its added firing-pin block, a passive safety system. Like the CZ 75, the P-09 can be fired in either single- or double-action modes and features a frame-mounted decocker installed (the pistol comes with an ambidextrous manual safety conversion also).

The slide rides inside the frame rails rather than outside. Though some shooters do not care for the reduced surface area with which to manipulate the slide, this slide-to-frame fit is unusually tight and enables a very efficient barrel lockup, providing exceptional accuracy.

As of this writing, there’s only one example of the P-09 inside the U.S. When I opened the box I found a letter from the ATF confirming that this new model had scored enough points to be imported for sale as a “sporting” pistol. Just as I’d become married to it, CZ asked me to bring it to an industry shooting event.

I was fond of the way it carried and had even drifted the sights to just the way I like them, so it saddened me a little to see gunwriter Jim Tarr have his way with it—irreverently slamming multiple 20-round mag dumps through its cold-hammer-forged barrel. During a break in the action, Patrick Sweeney said, “It’d be one helluva pistol for 3-Gun.” And with 19+1 rounds of 9mm on tap and a long sight radius, he’s right.

Though CZ-USA intends to import a .40-caliber option, with today’s ammo technology, I have no problem with 9mm performance. Shooting 9mm permits longer strings of fire, faster follow-up shots and better hit percentages. On the other hand, if CZ ever expects to win a bid for an LE contract, .40 is a must.

[Show as slideshow]
If not working as an armed professional, you’ll likely consider the P-09 for home defense, competition or target practice. I suppose you could dress around one for concealed carry, but you’ll need to wear something like a sport coat since the extended magazine would print under any Polynesian shirt.

The P-09 features rear serrations in the slide and on the controls, a contoured rest for your thumbs molded into both sides of the frame and a square-front, high-cut triggerguard that sets up a two-hand high grip. Wrap your hands around the frame of any Duty, and the bore axis sinks deeply into your hand. The double-action pull is a smooth 12 pounds, and the single-action pull breaks at just around five pounds.

Included with each P-09 is a set of three interchangeable backstraps. It seems manufacturers have to offer this level of user interchangeability to be competitive, but don’t disregard the backstraps as a gimmick. Take the time to practice with each size and you’ll find one in particular that will improve control and handling for you.

The significant difference between the P-09 and its predecessor is the added barrel length and longer grip frame due to increased magazine capacity. The new P-09 has a considerably larger profile, but it’s unusually well balanced when presented to a target. The P-09 Duty fills my hands like few other full-size, high-capacity pistols. When I’ve got my hands shoved high into the beavertail, the grip extends a half inch below my palm. Apparently, that’s what it takes to accommodate a 19-round magazine loaded with 10 ounces of defensive ammunition.

The long sight radius—coupled with luminous green-dot front—aids precise aiming. Due to federal restrictions, imported pistols are generally retrofitted in the U.S. with tritium-filled vials if a customer wants night sights. Though not quite as powerful, the factory-applied green luminous paint does glow, doesn’t present an environmental hazard and keeps down the overall cost of the pistol by nearly $100.

This P-09 features a decocker-only lever, which safely lowers a cocked hammer and sets up the pistol for a double-action trigger pull. (The P-07 Duty is available with either a decocker or a safety lever that permits cocked-and-locked carry, so I expect that the P-09 will become available in either configuration eventually.)

You can operate the P-09 with either hand, but it’s not completely ambidextrous. The magazine release arrives favoring the right-handed shooter but is reversible. However, other controls—the hammer and decocking/safety lever—are operable from both sides.

The frame extends out to the muzzle and includes a five-lug, 2.7-inch Picatinny rail that will accept most lights and/or lasers. If you expect to use the P-09 as your go-to nightstand gun, the justification for a rail is obvious.

I’ve shot the P-09 extensively. I’ve neglected it, thrashed it and carried it. It doesn’t quit, and accuracy doesn’t dissipate. And you can actually afford to own and shoot it plenty.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/cz-p-09-duty-review/#ixzz283VhoFcv

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: CZ P-09 Duty Review--per GUNS AND AMMO... [Re: Ripp]
      #217452 - 02/10/12 12:41 AM

I was dryfiring one at the gun smith's the other day. Nice - double action was excellent and the single action drop felt like about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. I really liked it, however being a 9mm, it left me a bit cold. Had it been a .40, I might have been more intersted.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: CZ P-09 Duty Review--per GUNS AND AMMO... [Re: DarylS]
      #217491 - 02/10/12 11:25 PM

Quote:

I was dryfiring one at the gun smith's the other day. Nice - double action was excellent and the single action drop felt like about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. I really liked it, however being a 9mm, it left me a bit cold. Had it been a .40, I might have been more intersted.

Was with a buddy this weekend who had a glock in 10mm...said he actually carries it now for bears and home defense...read the ballistics ..pretty impressive for a semi-auto handgun...

I have a few 40's and really like them as well...a pretty good step up in power over the 9mm and contrary to what I have read, they are fairly accurate...

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#217497 - 03/10/12 12:38 AM

I've no experience with .40 cal. handguns, except I've shot a couple at the range.
I did shoot a couple large black bears with my 1911 IPSC gun, back in the late 80's while at work. The first was with 230gr. HB might have been factory WW, don't remember that part, and the second was with a Speer 260gr.HP loaded with 11.2gr. 630. It chrono'd 960fps from the 5" Wilson bl. and would make 2" to 2 1/2" groups rested at 50yards. That I remember vividly. They both worked well with head shots, of course. I used to love working night shift Prowl.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#217550 - 03/10/12 11:57 PM

The most recent 40 I have purchased is a Sig...the neat part with it is for an extra $185. I bought a second barrel in .357 Sig...so two guns in one...

while it seems the .357 is not really catching on..man, it is a barn burner...

As to the .40...the hits are a noticable upgrade when shooting bowling pins over the standard 9mm IMHO...have to say for overall use in a semi-auto though I still prefer the .45...

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#217553 - 04/10/12 01:07 AM

At one time, I was fired up over an AutoMag,or Grizzly, but that 1911 I modified slightly, was very accurate, fast shooting and hit what I figured, was plenty hard enough. Revovery was quick & double or triple 'taps' were easy.
I ported the slide and drilled the 3 barrel holes each side to match - according to the 'book'. Worked a treat. 6 plates, 2 seconds including the draw using .451", 300gr. FP's. That was a good .45.

--------------------
Daryl

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #217600 - 04/10/12 05:05 PM

CZ pistols are some of the best handling pistols made. The ergonomics of these pistols are second to none. I have a 85 combat in 9 mm. It has not had a mishap in I don't know how many rounds. I was playing with loads that were pushing a 115 grain bullet at slightly less than 500 fps. An obvious case of the wrong powder being used. A full magazine was digested without a hiccup. I could see the bullets inch toward the 25 yard target.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3311

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com