Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blaser S2 470 Nitro Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Blaser S2 470 Nitro Double Rifle
      #217210 - 26/09/12 04:55 AM

what can you tell me about this rifle

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Blaser S2 470 Nitro Double Rifle [Re: bwananelson]
      #217226 - 26/09/12 01:03 PM

You can probably find a lot of discussion about them using the search feature. Bottom line is not many people like them, they are probably the least popular DR out there. The biggest issue seems to be the automatic safety but there are other complaints as well.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Blaser S2 470 Nitro Double Rifle [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #217276 - 27/09/12 12:10 PM

thats why the cheap price i guess thanks looking for a 470 i think im going to have VC fit the 600 with a set of extra barrels maybe a three barrel set 375 470 and 600 what a set that would make

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Kebco
.300 member

Reged: 22/05/06
Loc: PA, USA
Re: Blaser S2 470 Nitro Double Rifle [Re: bwananelson]
      #217282 - 27/09/12 10:15 PM

I hear that they have been or soon will be discontinued

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Blaser S2 470 Nitro Double Rifle [Re: Kebco]
      #236595 - 10/10/13 09:56 PM

I had one of these. Here goes with what is strictly my opinion for whatever that may be worth. Your mileage may vary:

The tilting block makes them incredibly strong from a pressure handling perspective. They can be regulated across the horizontal plane via a wedge fitted between the barrels somewhere near mid point along the length of the barrels. Mine did not pattern well on the vertical axis. To solve this, I gave the muzzle a light careful rap with a 2 pound ball peen hammer to bring the barrels in sync so they would shoot side by side. At this point they could be easily regulated to give impressive composite groups. The muzzles are held together with a soft brass? yoke.

Positives:
1. Fairly easy to regulate
2. Strong tilting block action
3. Very heavy thick steel barrels
4. Extremely impressive accuracy from individual barrels
5. Amazing composite groups albeit after some fiddling
6. Wonderful removable Blaser saddle mount for scopes
7. Very well designed high visibility express sights
8. Incredible wood

Negatives:
1. Grip shape and trigger guard not conducive to dealing with heavy recoil - for me, the trigger guard would slam painfully into my second finger
2. Tilting block took some getting used to. Not as straight forward as dealing with a traditional break action
3. Ergonomics: not sure I can put my finger precisely on this point: to me, the gun did not feel as lively as the Merkel nor the Heym
4. Scope mount and rings very expensive
5. Extractors - I prefer ejectors, but again, a personal choice

In the end, I sold my S2 in favour of the Merkel 140a in .470, and subsequently graduated to the Heym .500NE I presently own.

Overall, I liked the S2 very much. The ergonomics for me was what caused it to be sent down the highway in favour of something else. I can't say that they would be everyone's cup of tea or not. One would be best off to handle one for one's
self. As they say, "your mileage may vary"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Blaser S2 470 Nitro Double Rifle [Re: Postman]
      #237421 - 03/11/13 07:26 AM

Quote:

You can probably find a lot of discussion about them using the search feature. Bottom line is not many people like them, they are probably the least popular DR out there. The biggest issue seems to be the automatic safety[/COLOR] but there are other complaints as well.

The problem is not just your run of the mill auto safety! The fact is the Blaser S2 doesn’t cock the rifle any way but the manual manipulating of the Combi-cocking lever. The rifle de-cocks the rifle any time the rifle is opened, for any reason and must be manually re-cocked ! With this rifle if you fire one or both barrels and the rifle is opened for a re-load of one or both barrels the rifle must be re-cocked manually before you can fire again. This is not a feature I would want on a rifle used for dangerous game.

Everyone thinks the combi-cocker works the same as the K-gun, but it doesn’t. The K-gun once cocked, and opened for without firing remains cocked, and if fired and opened will re-cock its self. IMO the Blaser is a goring waiting to happen!
[/COLOR]

Quote:

I had one of these. Here goes with what is strictly my opinion for whatever that may be worth. Your mileage may vary:

The tilting block makes them incredibly strong from a pressure handling perspective. They can be regulated across the horizontal plane via a wedge fitted between the barrels somewhere near mid point along the length of the barrels. Mine did not pattern well on the vertical axis. To solve this, I gave the muzzle a light careful rap with a 2 pound ball peen hammer to bring the barrels in sync so they would shoot side by side. At this point they could be easily regulated to give impressive composite groups. The muzzles are held together with a soft brass? yoke.

Positives:
1. Fairly easy to regulate
2. Strong tilting block action
3. Very heavy thick steel barrels
4. Extremely impressive accuracy from individual barrels
5. Amazing composite groups albeit after some fiddling
6. Wonderful removable Blaser saddle mount for scopes
7. Very well designed high visibility express sights
8. Incredible wood

Negatives:
1. Grip shape and trigger guard not conducive to dealing with heavy recoil - for me, the trigger guard would slam painfully into my second finger[/COLOR]
2. Tilting block took some getting used to. Not as straight forward as dealing with a traditional break action
3. Ergonomics: not sure I can put my finger precisely on this point: to me, the gun did not feel as lively as the Merkel nor the Heym
4. Scope mount and rings very expensive
5. Extractors - I prefer ejectors, but again, a personal choice

In the end, I sold my S2 in favour of the Merkel 140a in .470, and subsequently graduated to the Heym .500NE I presently own.

Overall, I liked the S2 very much. The ergonomics for me was what caused it to be sent down the highway in favour of something else. I can't say that they would be everyone's cup of tea or not. One would be best off to handle one for one's
self. As they say, "your mileage may vary"

The first time I looked at one of the S2s at the DSC show, The looks of it was an instant turn off. Then when I discovered the rifle had no facility to re-cock it’s self. I just shook my head and thanked the booth guy, and went on my way to the Heym booth!

I suppose you have an idea by this that I do not recommend the Blaser S-2 if it is to be used for dangerous game![/COLOR]

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Blaser S2 470 Nitro Double Rifle [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #237422 - 03/11/13 07:57 AM

I 'd not considered the functionality of the cocking device/safety. I really rated it based on my "range experience" without thought to dangerous game field conditions.

And yes, it was ugly compared to a fine double rifle.

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Blaser S2 470 Nitro Double Rifle [Re: Postman]
      #237443 - 04/11/13 03:59 AM

I had two of them - 500/416 and 470. JUNK! Both broke on me. Cracked stock on the 500/416. Would only close the action with WR ammo. The 470 crossed at 10 yards. At 30 yards the right bbl printed 8 inches to the left of the left bbl. It broke too.

If you clean the gun and don't get the falling block repositioned just right, or you push thew release lever accidentally, the block falls out of the action into the bush. Ask me how I discovered this.

Ugly? This gun is uglier than my first wife's third husband. Heavy and let's not get into a discussion about the cocking lever.

Postman and DB ... ever try to cock the bloody thing when it's hot dirty and humid. Rotsa ruck on that one, guys. I'd rather have a sharp spear than an S2.

My advice? If you have one, it will make a very nice (but ugly) lamp stand.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7407

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com