Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 6.5x47L

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
6.5x47L
      #217031 - 20/09/12 02:45 PM

Got my 6.5x47L today.

Here are some dodgy photo's I took with my phone.
The stock needs another coat of oil now.

Put a 3 - 9 x 42 Kahles scope on it.
Loaded up 3 rnds with 37 grains of 2208 and a Fed magnum small rifle primer.Got it on target at 25 yards then went home and cleaned it.Then loaded 10 rnds and went back to the range (gravel pit really)
Load is doing about 2790 fps. Will fire form all my cases then chase a bit more velocity.

Here is my first target.
Bottom three shots are at 25 yards to get it on paper.
The three above are my first 3 shot group at 100 yards.
Got excited when I saw the first two.

This was my second attempt at a group.

Was blowing about 20 kms an hour here today. So with a total of 12 shots I am good to go.

Thanks to Tony of Nickal Gunsmithing for the build and Jim Kent for the loan of the reamer.

Did shoot a sow this afternoon but couldn't find her in the cane grass.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: 6.5x47L [Re: FATBOY404]
      #217035 - 20/09/12 09:08 PM

Neale I have still got a bit of sump oil that you can use, even has a bit of metal glitter in it

Nice groups for first off loads and should be a good game getter.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 6.5x47L [Re: Rule303]
      #217037 - 21/09/12 12:02 AM

Looking pretty good.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: 6.5x47L [Re: DarylS]
      #217198 - 25/09/12 09:10 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Neal, like a Bear coming out of Winter hibernation (out of the house and into the Funshop), I have finally started to do some work on some of my projects!
This includes firing the first couple of shots through my 6.5x47 Lap, in the process of running it's barrel in.

I'm using 140grn Nosler Comp bullets for this and for the first time, I have used "Patch Out" (PO) bore solvent. So far I'm really happy with how little effort is required and how well PO works!!!

First off, I patched out the Lilja barrel and chamber to make sure it was clean and dry, then fired a handload into the bullet trap. I then pushed a couple of patches wet with PO thru the barrel, which cleaned out most of the powder fouling, I then pushed another patch wet with PO, and got back on to the milling machine. 20 mins later, I dry patched out the barrel then put another wet patch thru. 20 mins later, same again but this time there was no obvious copper fouling left in the barrel. Just to make sure, another wet patch and left it for 10 mins. The dry patches came out clean as!
I then fired another shot and repeated.......
So far, so good!

No back and forth Bronze Brushing etc so in theory, this alone should increase the barrels life.
The reason I say this is, they reckon more barrels are worn out from Cleaning that Shooting!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

FATBOY404
.400 member

Re: 6.5x47L [Re: Homer]
      #217213 - 26/09/12 06:03 AM

Spent more time looking for fouling than removing it.
Thanks Homer might try some when I can find it.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#217215 - 26/09/12 07:04 AM

I've been using Wipe-Out for several years and love it - overnight soak - comes completely clean int he AM, even my slightly rough bored 9.3x62 that picks up more copper than any other rifle I've ever owned. 2 dozen shots will have the bore copper plated. All gone come morning. I bought a bottle of the accellerator, but it was a waste of money as far as I've seen. The overnight soak works best for me.

Once that Lilja barrel is broken in, I expect it will not copper at all. My Pac-Nor match grade Stainless barely picks up a trace if I go over 300rounds or more between cleaning. It runs a 20gr. Vmax at 3,925fps. The Lilja's are also well known for not fouling much at all.

Some have stated the bore is TOO dry after patching out the wipeout, etc. They need something left in the bore - a poor (for today) copper solvent like the old Hoppe's or Outer's solvents would be good for that, as the BR shooters use it, for the oil it contains. A wet patch down and out, then 1 or 2 dry patches (one way) to fall off at the muzzle. That will leave a vestiage of oil as a bore lubing agent so the first shot is not through a perfectly dry bore.

When I see Patch Out, I will buy some to try. My last can of Wipe-Out is about empty.

--------------------
Daryl

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #217233 - 26/09/12 03:24 PM

What brand of barrel have you got on that Neale ?

FATBOY404
.400 member

Re: 6.5x47L [Re: tophet1]
      #217235 - 26/09/12 04:46 PM

Maddco mate.

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

#217339 - 29/09/12 07:39 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Daryl, thanks for letting us know about your experiences with this bore solvent!

Neale, sorry I forgot to mention the nice little groups your 6.5 is shootin!!!
The groups will probably tighten up a bit more, once you get 100 odd shots through the barrel.
Maddco barrels are one of the elite best barrels, on the planet!!!

Avagreatweekendeh!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #217349 - 29/09/12 11:37 AM

Patch Out is good stuff. I've been using it for 4-5 years now on my rifles. At the start of cleaning I soak a nylon brush in it to scrub the powder fouling out. Then it's just some patience as you wet the bore with patches and wait as it does it's work.

Homer
.416 member

Re: 6.5x47L [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #217369 - 29/09/12 04:37 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Sorry, I should have notified you blokes of the Wipe Out web site.
It's www.sharpshootr.com
IIRC, one of the NE forum participants, sells it in Oz!
You can also obtain it from www.sinclairintl.com or www.brownells.com in the USA.

As Sharps Nitro says above, pretty easy stuff to use but not to good if your an impatient individual!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#217380 - 30/09/12 01:10 AM

With regular solvents for quick cleaning at the range, I use Butches Bore Shine mixed 50/50 with Kroil Oil, I apply it with a nylon brush. It sits while I'm downrange changing or marking targets, then 2 dry patches dropping off at the muzzle when I get back.

1-piece rods only, boys.

If you think bore snakes are good for your barrel, ask a BR shooter if he uses a bore snake to clean his match barrel. Have a camera ready to take the picture of abject horror on his face.

--------------------
Daryl

Homer
.416 member

#217417 - 01/10/12 10:30 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Daryl, that might be OK with the Butch's solvent but Patch Out (PO) specifically state Do Not use in conjunction with any other bore solvent etc!!!

As to the fact that PO leaves the barrels bore dry after use, it can't leave a bore as dry as it will become after a shot or two, or ten!!!

So far, I'm completely satisfied with PO.
That is, not only does it do the job it is supposed to but it fits in well with the way I run in and clean barrels!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
      #217439 - 01/10/12 09:09 PM

Hello Neale,

that is a very nice shooting rifle!

What bullet types and weights do you intend to use in this cartridge for which game?

In dia. 264" the standard seemed to be 8 grams or about 120grs, but the newer bullets also have 140grs weigths, and practical information on these would be greatly appreciated!

good hunting!
Rolf

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 6.5x47L [Re: Rolf]
      #217455 - 02/10/12 01:09 AM

Homer - the 'dry' bore syndrome is different for the first shot, than shots fired afterwards.

After the first shot is fired, the bore is then lubricated by that shot's powder fouling as well as for sucessive shots. That is the way a BR shooter explained it to me. It is the first shot that is the problem. Some solvents and oils adjust the first shot's impact - Ed's Red was always famous amongst some BR shooters and hunters as the first shot was always supposed to be in the 'group'. Other oils and solvents could drop that first shot up to 3" away.

I was not suggesting mixing patch out with Kroil - I only mentioned that to show what I use at the range. I also use this after dry the bore after Wipe Out is used, to lubricate the first shot. Before shooting, the 'oiled' bore is patched with one or two patches before firing, that is all.

There will be a vestige of lubricant left in the bore for that first, all important shot. It will prevent the guilding metal stripping that happens with the first shot through "after Wipe Out cleaning" dry, non-lubricated bore.

If you don't accept that, that's fine - I am just passing on a warning given concerning the use of Wipe Out and I surmise, Patch Out. This warning also goes with CR10 and other Ammonia solvents. I susepct the oil in Sweets might be too thick to remain in the bore, after drying with patches but perhaps some stays, I don't know.

--------------------
Daryl

Homer
.416 member

#217484 - 02/10/12 08:07 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Sorry Daryl, I hope I didn't write that the wrong way, I was just stating what PO suggest!

I now understand why it's a good idea to have some light oil in the barrel, prior to firing the first shot. Make sense really!!!

I've now fired 30 shots through my 6.5 barrel and there is now, very little copper fouling deposited. And what is there is dissolved by PO, after around 5 minutes!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#217498 - 03/10/12 12:55 AM

Sounds like good stuff, Homer. Good modern barrels don't copper much or at all nowadays - although throughout decades of shooting and cleaning with harsh copper removing chemicals, ie: ammonia, I took coppering as being a normal deal, non negotionable - and with most factory guns, that's still the case.

Since using CZ and Pac-Nor .17 barrels, both chromemoly and stainless, I've come to enjoy copper free or almost copper free shooting at 4,000fps for hundreds of rounds between cleanings. That is something unheard of a mere 15 years ago.

What I do see in agreement amongst accuracy shooters who now have and use bore scopes a lot, is that if you can stay away from using ammonia for cleaning, do it. The WO and PO seem to give us that freedom.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5640

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com