Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths
      #204477 - 05/03/12 03:56 AM

After years of avoiding Weatherbys I've been looking at the Mark V Super Big Game Master .338-06 the last few weeks. I've been interested in the cartridge for quite awhile, and I have to admit after giving it a fair look the factory Mark V platform looks like it may be a winner. It's advertised as a sub 6-pound bare rifle so I'd imagine it could be a little lively in this chambering, and there seems to have been some issues related to accuracy. Anyone have experience with the Mark V Super Big Game Master, or the very similar Ultra Lightweight?

Second Q: this platform looks well suited to the 308 Win and 7mm-08 Rem chamberings it was offered in. But I can't determine that the 6-lug Mark V action is or has ever been available in a "short" length, so it seems that going with a 30-06 or 280 could make more sense. Are there any Weatherby experts around who can confirm if the 308 & 7mm-08 were made on standard or short length actions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths [Re: taw1126]
      #204774 - 09/03/12 05:00 AM

So maybe not too many Weatherby fans / users here? In cas it's helpful to anyone else, I've figured out that the 6-lug Mark V action is only made in one length, for "standard" cartridges (e.g., 30-06 length).

Found an ANIB Super Big Game Master in 338-06 with Redding dies (my personal favorites) for $1,125. That seems to be a pretty good deal, so I'm going to buy it under the assumption that I can sell it for at least that much if for some reason I don't like it.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #204778 - 09/03/12 07:15 AM

While I am not much for a Weatherby firearm fan..have had too many that shot like crap..I am a fan of their cartridges/calibers...

I have had several lightweight models and they have all had the 6 lug design in standard calibers such as 30-06..270Winchester or even 240 weatherby...

I do know the magnum Mark 5 has the standard 9 lug design..which to me would appear to be a fitting nightmare..I was having issues with a weatherby rifle once several years ago and have since sold it..but out of the 9 lugs..only 2 were actually locked in totally-and one other about 90% the rest were only partially engaged with the bold closed per the gunsmith I had working on it..who was, BTW, an authorized Weatherby service center...

Per the caliber, I think it is a good caliber for most any non-dangerous game you might hunt...remember when it first come out in the lightweight model..we autioned one off at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet...it sold fcr voer $1400 then which was a long time ago--want to say over 10 years...

Good luck and let us know how it shoots..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #204786 - 09/03/12 10:05 AM

Sorry missed this the first time around , I have 2 Ultra Light Weight Weatherby's , a 270Win (I don't like 270 only got it for the rifle) it is a great rifle to handle , better than my light weight Sako 223 , it is accurate to & a 338/06 slightly heavier barrel so not as nicely balanced, even with very heavy loads still nice to shoot , I don't know how but I have loads that beat 300Win Mag with 185TSX , mild to shoot & heavy 250Gr nice to, I have a heap of 275 A frames & 300Gr Woodleighs to work up loads as well .

I don't know on the strength of these actions, but here is a dumb story of a guy (Me) who was too tight to buy many 250Gr A frames (sell a Kidney in NZ) after loading WAY over the book with the 185Gr TSX & still opening the bolt with 1 finger , I cheated with the 250Grs & used a top 9.3X62 load data as I had none for the 338/06

Well it kinda blow up , still open the bolt Ok , no primer at all , black all around, primer pocket looked as big a pencil end, I don't think a lot of rifles would have opened or been serviceable after that !

I would like to say this was many years ago when I was young & dumb, but alas it was not, I still do dumb shit now !

PS , yes the one in 338/06 has been a bit tricky to get loads that shoot well, but what a great caliber , if shooting Deer up 338/06 160Gr-300Gr, if Elk/Sambar up 9.3X62 may be better, I did shoot 2 good size Sambar Stags together once thinking it was the same Stag , 185TSX both pass through's .

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths [Re: Sarg]
      #204792 - 09/03/12 11:11 AM

P.O.Ackley noted that the Mark 5's he tested had at most, 3 lugs bearing. Seems to have been enough, though.

I never got used to and actually stopped shooting people's .300's at the range. I didn't like that whip-crack-snap of the ultra-fast recoil. I guess their stocks just didn't fit well enough. I did like shooting my .375 mag and .458's though.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths [Re: DarylS]
      #204804 - 09/03/12 01:22 PM

I have not owned any Weatherby Mk V actioned rifles but like Ripp admire their cartridges. If I ever bought one (or had a build done) it would be in .270Weatherby.

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths [Re: tophet1]
      #204811 - 09/03/12 05:13 PM

There was only one length 9 lug action ,go to the weatherby site their is a FAQ section or Weatherby rifles website [i believe its Danish ] or Weatherby Nation website, will give you all the answers you need

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths [Re: 500Boswell]
      #205006 - 12/03/12 02:04 PM

I have shot several Weatherby Mk5's. All belonging to some one else. All shot very well and even the 378 did not seem to kick as much as I thought it would. The bolts were smooth and slick. I do not like the look of the weatherby stocks but they fitted well to me and seemed to reduce felt recoil.

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths [Re: Rule303]
      #205008 - 12/03/12 02:24 PM

Quote:

...and even the 378 did not seem to kick as much as I thought it would.....

Are you sure it was the 378 and not the 375? Of the few people that I know who have shot the 378 don't use the expression "did not seem to kick as much as I thought" when asked what firing it was like

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #205021 - 12/03/12 05:15 PM

I dont know the super big game master but I do have a 30-06 ultra lightweight accumark - and it is a wonderful rifle... It is super light but there is nothing about it that looks or feels weak. I have owned quite a few Mark V's over the years and I wish I had never sold the ones that I did... I am sure you will love a 338-06 - very versatile and hard-hitting calibre in a great rifle!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #216719 - 14/09/12 12:25 PM

Before "retiring" I made a far living tuning and building custom rifles. The overwhelming majority where Weatherby's. Being relatively new to this forum, with very few posts and no friends I hazard to get off on the wrong foot, but even in this short thread, my BS meter is off the scale.

"have had too many that shot like crap" I have very rarely had this experience, never with a Jap or USA produced rifle. I have never seen a Tuned Accumark that was not a 1/2 moa rifle. My personal 7mmWBY has done under 7" for 5shots at 1000.

"P.O.Ackley noted that the Mark 5's he tested had at most, 3 lugs bearing" I will buy a gallon of LayOut Blue and line up a hundred Mark V's, we can spend all day if you want....bet you whatever you want to lose that the lugs all bear. I have had hundreds of these on my benches over the years, have yet to see one that all the lugs didn't bear.

"the 378 did not seem to kick as much as I thought it would" Anyone who has/everyone who does, says the same thing. These have been branded as some sort of savage killer to the shooter. Ain't so. Only the earliest Mark V's from Germany didn't have a brake (who as even seen one, let alone shot one ???) All Japs and USA produced Mark V's have #3 contour barrels and a brake of some sort. Recoil is on the order of a unbraked 338 or so. With out a brake ( I have made a few) the recoil is fast and plentiful. With my bad bones it is more than I can handle. On the order of a new style lightweight 3 1/2" 12ga turkey gun. Nothing like my 458Lott or a 500jeff.

Feel free to PM me Taw1126, I will gladly answer what I know.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths *DELETED* [Re: Caprivi]
      #216721 - 14/09/12 01:00 PM

Post deleted by Daryl_S

--------------------
Daryl

Caprivi
.375 member

#216741 - 15/09/12 12:21 AM

I well realize that it is a no-win, rebuking one of the deans on this forum. So far i have refrained from personal attacks. Just using facts as I have discovered them. So I apologise from the git go.

"I merely repeated what PO Ackley wrote " As a man of your stature on this forum you will take his word on a Rifle you don't like, seems odd??? Parker Ackley is probably the most reticuled gun man out there. He was out of bounds, back in a time when all writers where blustering to the extreme. I have much of his literature, while very entertaining and a window to that time, it is so riddled with hyperbole as to overshadow any fact in it.

"Mark 5 Belgium 300 WTBY rifles I shot" There was no Belgium built Mark V's. Belgium FN Mauser actioned Weatherby's or German (Sauer) produced Mark V's

"I was comfortable shooting my 602 in .375" I will surely agree with this. A proper (which the 602 indeed is) .375H&H is a very manageable rifle. Plenty of power for the Globe and hittable to extended ranges. I have a fairly heavy Whitworth for no real reason other than for first timers to shoot. All exclaim to the exgtent of, not bad at all, thought it would kick more. I remember a well liked East African PH who told me he never liked the 375 as a big game rifle because is was so underpowered. As we discussed (actually my Dad and John discussed, I was merely a quiet kid on the shop bench) he summed up his theory in that its recoil was too mild, hence it couldn't kill. Ha' just thought, recoil......his working rifles where a Mark V 300 and a skimpy little Vickers .458. I bet he knew recoil.

"the .458 had more FPE of recoil, but was much slower and didn't crack me like that ill stocked .300." I broke my neck 30yrs ago, injured my back 35yrs ago, about ground my right side off at various stupid times. Needless to say, I am not a recoil fan. I have heard the statement many many times about slower, faster, big push, whippy, snap/crack........I can tell much of a difference. It all hurts me very much. I will never own a 378, I have shot and tested many. I always schedule with the Chiropractor ahead of time to put me back together. That said, my former 458 Lott treated me the same. As did my brothers heavy M77 338win. Me and anything much above my current Southgate Weatherby 300H&H are over. I can handle this 9 1/2lbs 300H&H from prone (I am a hunter first and foremost, I shoot prone quite a bit) and I think the "ill stocked" works for me.

" I also didn't like the straight BS in Roy's adds." But you believed Ackleys ???

"Sure, bring them on up here and we'll test away." Wish I could but the abject retards that now run Our respective countries don't allow such border crossing frivolity. You have the better deal currently.

"Your statement smacks of some of Roy's add facts." Just the facts as I have found them in 35 or so years of working around them.

Relax Daryl, in the end known of this means anything as it will all be ash and blow away.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Two Weatherby Q's...Factory 338-06 & Mark V Action Lengths [Re: Caprivi]
      #216742 - 15/09/12 12:33 AM

HA! - After deleting my post - it was rather nasty and for that I appologise, I noted your post after the forum renewed.

As to the WTBY rifles I shot, both pre-dated the Japanese guns so I assumed they were Belgium.

Yes - I believe Ackley's writings over Roy's WTBY adds. I've been shooting Ackley designed ctgs. since 1974 & have never been disappointed, nor have I found anything he wrote about in question, that I can put my finger on. Yes, there is/are script errors in the books - it happens. Even today, the loading manuals have 'corrections' that are published on their sites or in magazines after the new book has been circulated for a while.

--------------------
Daryl

Caprivi
.375 member

#216746 - 15/09/12 03:56 AM

No apology needed, but accepted all the same.
If you can re-post it. This type of discourse is what makes this one of the better forums. The banter is needed to seperate the "fly shit from the pepper" as I've heard said.

I am in no way offended. I am just defending my favored rifles from what I have seen as 50yrs worth of legend by non-users.

I quoted you, Daryl, as your post had all of the comments of this thread in one post. Certainly not as a personal attack. It was easier for me to reference your post.

I really need to apologize to taw1126 for the hi-jack. He is asking for info on the 6-lug and I am mudslinging.

My wife fields 2 USA 6-lug rifles, a ULW in .240 and a SPM in .223. I am currently without a Mark V in "my" battery. Looking to change that with a stainless 6-lug in a Elk-able caliber. Probably a 7x57 or 284. I have had a few .30'06 ULW and may go that route as well. These smaller/trimmer actions in a Bell & Carlson stock have a great "feel" and are very light and handy.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4618

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com