Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Blaser doubles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
J_T_AMMONS
.224 member

Reged: 08/11/04
Loc: Georgia
Blaser doubles?
      #21673 - 04/12/04 09:48 AM

Been shooting for years but a little new to doubles. Maybe considering one, will have to save the pennies. Searcy the front runner, maybe Merkel. Blaser doubles any good?

Thanks,
Jason

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: J_T_AMMONS]
      #21680 - 04/12/04 04:54 PM

Blaser - don't do it.

And if you do, you better make sure that you're in love with it - if not, you'll never get your money back.

Merkel, Searcy, Chapuis, Heym... handle them all and pick the one you like best. They're all good guns, but the Blaser is IMO too far removed from "traditional" for serious double rifle buyer to consider.

Good luck.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: new_guy]
      #21690 - 05/12/04 01:30 AM

New Guy,i don't know about Blaser doubles but their bolt action rifles are supposed to be top of the line.A friend just bought one that has detachable barrels.He got it in 7mm.mag and 375H&H.It has a synthetic stock and is apparently one of their latest models.Cost a parcel too but my friend swears its worth it.

new_guy
Sponsor

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: iqbal]
      #21695 - 05/12/04 02:23 AM

iqbal, I didn't say that thier guns were BAD, I said that if you buy one of thier doubles you better be willing to keep it for a long time.

What I'm trying to say is... well, imagine that you were a gun owner that appreciated the "classic" look & feel of "Bond Street's Best"...

Rose & scroll engraving, classic 7-pin action with moustache, chopper lump barrels and articulated triggers, etc... and someone handed you a double rifle that was the relative complete opposite of each of these things.

It's still a double rifle, but has none of the features you want in a double rifle. It's the extremes they've gone to in designing these guns that make it too "untraditional."

Kinda' like comparing their "bolt gun" to a classic Mauser - they've got very little in common. (If you like mausers, you're not going to like their "bolt gun.")

The Blaser - I'm sure will shoot great (after all - you can regulate you own barrels!), will probably shoot forever and probably has a lifetime warranty, etc...

But to a guy that's into doubles, the Blaser is the "Mr. Potato Head" of the double rifle world.

I like that so much I'm adding it to my signature!

My apologies to any Blaser double rifle owners out there

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Edited by new_guy (05/12/04 03:24 AM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #21696 - 05/12/04 03:16 AM

In reply to:

New Guy,i don't know about Blaser doubles but their bolt action rifles are supposed to be top of the line.A friend just bought one that has detachable barrels.He got it in 7mm.mag and 375H&H.It has a synthetic stock and is apparently one of their latest models.Cost a parcel too but my friend swears its worth it.

The Blazer bolt rifle is a over engenered PUSH FEED action that is very sensitive to dust intrusion in the camed fingers that are forced over the rim of the cartridge. A little sand or even dust and it will not completely chamber a round. That could be a real draw-back when the second shot is needed with a lion closeing fast on your butt!

The Blazer double has a AUTO SAFETY, that can't be disconected, it has a hood above the chambers which interferes with quick reloading, It has a rib between the barrels made of, of all things RUBBER. To top this off, it is butt UGLY, as is it's PUSH FEED bolt action brother!

It isn't hard to find that I do not consider them to be serious dangerous game rifles, but an accident waiting to happen. As new guy states, these things are about 180 Degrees opposite what I consider a well thought out DGR!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

new_guy
Sponsor

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #21698 - 05/12/04 03:26 AM

Right on, Mac... just another company trying to cash in on what they (based on thier design) considered to be a percentage of market share!

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

pwm
.300 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: Banana Republik of Germany
      #21700 - 05/12/04 05:48 AM

my gunmaker is old-school from Suhl, he say: when you looking inside a Blaser, thats not realy looking good.

I am proud about any Mauser rifle but dont like to come from the same country as a Blaser

AfricanHunter
.275 member

Reged: 01/02/04
Loc: Nebraska, USA
      #21715 - 05/12/04 10:09 AM

To each his own, but it's a little like women, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." That goes for design, function and shape as well. They all do the job, but some lack the enjoyment to go with it.

J_T_AMMONS
.224 member

#21769 - 06/12/04 05:16 AM

I appreciate the input, and I suspected as much. The Blasers don't even look traditional to me.
Here is my problem:
I live in northeast Georgia. I don't know anyone who owns a double, don't know of any one who sells them around here or even in Atlanta which is 90 miles away. I can count the number of doubles I have seen in person on 1 hand (with about 4 fingers left over - there was a Kodiak at the Bass Pro in Lawrenceville a few years back) and have never handled one.
Yet they intrigue me. I reckon it's the nostalgia, sort of like single action revolvers. I would love to check them out, but don't know where to go.
Any suggestions?

Again, thanks for the input.
Jason

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
      #21866 - 07/12/04 12:36 PM

The Blaser S-2 double has a good look and feel and the forearm is a neat design as is the butt stock. Unfortunately, the other problems mentioned by others are very true. The biggest disadvantage is the cocking mechanism. It doesn't cock on opening or closing. A separate devise on the tang must be pushed forward to cock the gun after it is closed. This on a Dangerous Game Rifle. No thanks.

Attending the Safari Club Show or some other big show would give you some comparisons.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #21895 - 08/12/04 03:29 AM

BLASER S2 Double:

1. Manual cocking piece that must be actuated each time you load. So if you fire 2 shots and reload, you still have to push the cocking piece into the FIRE position, or the gun will not work.

2. The manual cocking piece is slow and hard to push.

3. The Blaser double has RUBBER between the barrels, and on some of them it is already showing signs of aging.

4. The blaser comb is set up for scoped use, making it too high for me to get on the sights comfortably.

BLASER Bolt Action Rifle

1. PUSH FEED.

2. PLASTIC hardware.

3. MANUAL COCKING PIECE (see above).

4. Open the bolt and imagine getting some sand in the slits and then trying to close the thing. But Mausers and Model 70's still work with sand in them.

SOUTHPAWTOO
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/04
Loc: Indiana, USA
      #21920 - 08/12/04 09:37 AM

Jason,
I can fully appreciate your dilemma, I live in southern Indiana and it is not exactly the cultural center of the universe as far as certain types of firearms are concerned.
I have had the "double rifle fever" all my life (I'm 54) and just a year and a half ago was I able to find and obtain what I wanted. (H&H hammer BPE) I'm about a 6 hr. drive north and west from you (one hr. north of Louisville, KY) if you're ever in the area, give a shout. You can shoot mine or my SAA Colt's all you want. (I run a cowboy action shooting range on my farm) Also, you might want to plan on attending the double gun shoot at my place next April 30.
Take care lad, SP2

--------------------
SP2

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: 500grains]
      #21943 - 08/12/04 01:46 PM

In reply to:

1. Manual cocking piece that must be actuated each time you load. So if you fire 2 shots and reload, you still have to push the cocking piece into the FIRE position, or the gun will not work.

Is this true?
If so it is truely an insane system. A bit like an auto safety but worse!

If the cocking piece is "cocked" and both barrels are fired and the gun is broken, reloaded and closed and the cocking piece is now "uncocked" my question is, what actually decocked it?
Is it when the top lever is pushed or when the barrels are opened or when they are closed?

Edited by 4seventy (08/12/04 01:52 PM)

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: 4seventy]
      #21948 - 08/12/04 02:12 PM

INSANE about covers it. The device is NOT a safety mechanism but the actual cocking mechanism...and it doesn't work real easy. They "save weight" by using this system and by not having automatic ejectors. In fact, it is down in weight to the Searcy which cocks on opening and HAS ejectors. But the Blaser makes up for this by adding weight in the butt to lower kick. Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#21952 - 08/12/04 03:44 PM

In reply to:

If the cocking piece is "cocked" and both barrels are fired and the gun is broken, reloaded and closed and the cocking piece is now "uncocked" my question is, what actually decocked it?

The TRIGGERS you pulled to fire the rifle, is what decocked it!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: 500grains]
      #21954 - 08/12/04 04:05 PM

I've walked by Blasers many times and have never bothered to handle one. It really has to be cocked via the safety button EACH CYCLE? If so, that is simply beyond The Pale. My god, how utterly useless. People are actually buying these? Unbelievable.
--------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #21955 - 08/12/04 04:07 PM

In reply to:

Sorry Alan, but you did ask.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

4seventy
Sponsor

#21957 - 08/12/04 05:25 PM

In reply to:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, derrrr!

So then, according to your theory Mac, the cocking slide flies back from the forward position to the rear position when the triggers are pulled? OUCH!

You guys really don't have the faintest idea do ya?

Mac, and Mick, my question was NOT what had decocked the TUMBLERS and MAINSPRINGS.
If you read the question again, you will see that I'm asking ...
What decocked the COCKING SLIDE during the reload?

Edited by 4seventy (08/12/04 06:12 PM)

J_T_AMMONS
.224 member

Re: Blaser doubles? [Re: SOUTHPAWTOO]
      #21961 - 08/12/04 09:09 PM

Thanks to all for the input. It is as I suspected about Blasers.

SP2,
Judging by your user name, I would guess you share another delimma with me - I'm a lefty.
Thanks for the invite, I'll put April 30 on my calender. If I may ask, where did you find your rifle?

Jason

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #21971 - 09/12/04 02:12 AM

In reply to:

Not a clue.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#21973 - 09/12/04 02:30 AM

In reply to:

Mac, and Mick, my question was NOT what had decocked the TUMBLERS and MAINSPRINGS.
If you read the question again, you will see that I'm asking ...
What decocked the COCKING SLIDE during the reload?

MY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! I see what you mean now! The SO-CALLED safety button is, as I stated in my first post, an auto safety that can't be disconnected, because that is what cocks the rifle. The top lever is what pushes the button to the rear, on opening. This fact has one advantage, in fact, it leaves the action bar more solid. The system, however, is no more useless, beacuse of the cocking system, than a hammer double rifle,which must be manually cocked after each loading, as well. The problem comes when one is used to a a traditional double rifle, and you forget to re-cock after the re-load! Hammer rifles place the hammers, more or less, in your line of sight, as a reminder, but the button looks the same cocked, or uncocked when the rifle is mounted.

I would say if the Blazer is the only double rifle you will ever have, then once you become completely farmiliar with it's use, it would be no slower than a hammer double. I would rather have a hammer double rifle than a Blazer, because the re-cocking is easier, and silent if done properly.

4seventy do you give "READING CLASSES"? If so when can Mick, and I sign up?

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#21986 - 09/12/04 09:14 AM

In reply to:

The top lever is what pushes the button to the rear, on opening. This fact has one advantage, in fact, it leaves the action bar more solid

........the action bar more solid?
How on earth does the top lever releasing the cocking slide affect the strength of the action bar?

Edited by 4seventy (09/12/04 09:48 AM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#21989 - 09/12/04 10:30 AM

In reply to:

........the action bar more solid?
How on earth does the top lever releasing the cocking slide affect the strength of the action bar?

Allen, you are getting silly! If the rifle doesn't recock the tumblers when it is broken open, then there is no need for the cocking levers normally housed in the BARR! The top lever simply pushes the button back into the rearward possition, and the cocking is done behind the box lock action by the BUTTON!

Now,I'm through with this, after saying, you may shoot what ever suits you! As for me, I'll take the old traditional double rifle thank you! I simply do not think the Blazer is an improvement of the old tried and true double! I consider it not only ugly, but dangerous as well.
......................................BYE!

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

#21990 - 09/12/04 11:21 AM

In reply to:

Allen, you are getting silly! If the rifle doesn't recock the tumblers when it is broken open, then there is no need for the cocking levers normally housed in the BARR

Mac, sorry ol' chum but you are wrong on this.

The Krieghoff and Blaser systems actually DO have cocking levers housed IN the action bar!

Both these rifles cock the TUMBLERS when the barrels are broken just like most other hammerless doubles!

The cocking slide DOES NOT cock the tumblers!

The cocking slide merely compresses or decompresses the mainsprings!

These rifles do not use as you say a "boxlock" action!

These rifles use basicly a trigger plate type action which has a mainspring compress/decompress system added!

The Blaser automaticly shifts the cocking slide to the rear every time the gun is opened where the Krieghoff does not!

The decocking system does not make the action design any stronger than other trigger plate type actions!

4seventy
Sponsor

#21991 - 09/12/04 11:32 AM

In reply to:

Now,I'm through with this, after saying, you may shoot what ever suits you! As for me, I'll take the old traditional double rifle thank you! I simply do not think the Blazer is an improvement of the old tried and true double! I consider it not only ugly, but dangerous as well.
......................................BYE!

Don't know who that's aimed at.
I agree that it is ugly, dangerous, and I'd rather own a more traditional type double as well!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7967

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com