Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Doubles cost

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
backman
.224 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Doubles cost
      #21536 - 01/12/04 05:29 AM

I have always wanted a double but still haven't been able get one. I have looked high and low , where can someone find a good double without having to pay high-end weapon prices. I want just a basic gun nothing else.Are their any out there?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: Doubles cost [Re: backman]
      #21538 - 01/12/04 05:58 AM

I would expect this might be what your looking for. It seems like a fair value for what it is. I understand they should be released soon.
Sorry but i forgot how to post a link.

http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/rifles/sidebyside/izhmp221t.shtml

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: Doubles cost [Re: foxfire]
      #21540 - 01/12/04 06:08 AM

I too would like to try one of those. As I can no longer afford the good stuff. For the projected prices I don't think you could go wrong! When in the hell are they supposed to get them here? They have been saying soon for 2+ years now!! Anybody have any inside info on time frame?

foxfire
.375 member

Re: Doubles cost [Re: Taos]
      #21541 - 01/12/04 06:12 AM

While it was fresh in my mind, I just E-mailed the company to see if they know and to find out if they will make a left hand stock also. If they respond to me I'll let you know.

--------------------

backman
.224 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Re: Doubles cost [Re: foxfire]
      #21543 - 01/12/04 07:02 AM

Thanks for your help, and your time.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Doubles cost [Re: backman]
      #21545 - 01/12/04 07:27 AM

In reply to:

I have always wanted a double but still haven't been able get one. I have looked high and low , where can someone find a good double without having to pay high-end weapon prices. I want just a basic gun nothing else.Are their any out there?

Backman "Cheap", and a "reasonable price" are two very different things where double rifles are concerened! It is simply not posible to make a double rifle that sells for less than around $10K new! The problem, for you is, they do not loose there value when used to any great extent! There are some real nice "WORKING DOUBLES" out there, that are very serviceable. If you can deal with a chambering that is not so popular, you can make some real bargains. The word bargain is relative, however!

I don't know where you live, and the prices, and conditions I'm about to tell you are based on The USA. If you live in OZ, there are some real good folks down under who will help you out!

The average English work rifle in 450/400NE 3", 470NE, or 500NE that is 100 yrs old but in good working order is going to set you back close to $10K, on the bottom. If you are going to use the rifle in the USA, for the most part, you might look into a decent used Merkel, or Chapuis chambered for 9.3X74R. That cartridge is legal in most places in Africa as well for dangerous game,at least for the cats, and Buffalo, but can be bought for thousands less than a 375 H&H Flanged, or larger. The 9.3X74R will handle anything you run into in North America, and is light and handy (about 8lbs)

The problem is, for a first time buyer of double rifles, he can really get stung if he doesn't know what to look for when shopping! Since a used field grade Britt will set you back $10K anyway, why not buy a NEW Merkel 140-1 9.3X74R double rifle. They have auto safeties, selective ejectors, cocking indicators, and Turkish wood, weigh in at the 8lb level, and can be had at about $8K new, or can sometimes be found used, at around $5K. The best bargain in the USA is the B. Searcy PH model, which can be had in your choice of 375H&H Flanged, 450NE, 500/416NE, 470NE, and 500NE, for an even $10K. This rifle is fitted with very nice wood, and is made to fit you. It is also fitted with selective ejectors. You only have to pay 50% down, and you have 7 to 10 months to get the remainder together while it is being built. But, if you want one of these at this price, call now, because the price is going up in JAN, by $2K.

Hope any of this helps you!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Doubles cost [Re: Taos]
      #21557 - 01/12/04 03:28 PM

They told me recently that the rifle would be out in late Spring, 2005...just like the Ruger Gold Label...

Watch the price go to around $800.00-$900.00, also. These would be fun toys, indeed...!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
Re: Doubles cost [Re: luv2safari]
      #21577 - 02/12/04 02:47 AM

I don't believe you guys havn't got the baikals yet, we got em down here in OZ already (well i have seen one). I didn't like it at all, pretty dodgy if you ask me. I actually thought about getting one until I handled it. Very soft steel and very very rough to break open. You would have to spend a considerable amount of time polishing the action to get it to work smoothly. That's just me though!

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

foxfire
.375 member

Re: Doubles cost [Re: tunofun]
      #21580 - 02/12/04 03:32 AM

I just got this E-mail back from Eaa.

Do you know when the IZH MP221 SxS DOUBLE RIFLE will be available and will it ever be available in a left hand model?Thank you,Steve

mid 2005 under the spartan by remington logo

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #21589 - 02/12/04 08:14 AM

In reply to:

we got em down here in OZ already (well i have seen one).

tunofun,
Was the one you saw side by side or under over?
What cal?

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #21603 - 02/12/04 02:35 PM

tun-o,

I just bought an EAA o/u in 12 & 7x57r for $249.00 NIB. I was curious as to what would arrive. It seems to be a pretty good buy so far. The metal to metal fit is quite good, but the wood is crude.

I bought it for my pick up truck gun and think it will serve that purpose just fine. The bores are nice and it shoots right where I point it. It is one of those guns that will be kicked around all over the country, but not shot much.

Was the double rifle you handled a sxs? Is it what we should expect, once they arrive here in your opinion? How long have they been on your market? Do you feel they are well made enough to rechamber the 45/70 into something with a bit more authority?

Regards,
luv2

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #21604 - 02/12/04 02:38 PM

Where did you find the gun for that price?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
      #21618 - 02/12/04 09:26 PM

My smith had one SxS and one U/O to show me (both in .308WIN) but they were not for sale as they were a distributor issue but I was not keen on them at all. The wood was terrible as was pointed out and the action was very rough although the wood to metal finish was good. They were $1029 AUS. The U/O (centrefire only, not combo rifle) had barrels that were very thin, poorly blued and still had machining marks in them.

The smith reckons the metal is very soft but that could be remidied if really necessary, but I don't think it would be worth the trouble. I also think the way the barrels are 'connected' at the muzzle end was very crude, being no more than some thick sheetmetal. As a 'truck gun' or one that would be treated rough and only used to blast a few 'varmints' it would be a good gun. Priced OK, but I would rather go with a Weatherby Vanguard, Ruger or HOWA (which we can get for the same dollars here) in that price range.

I had my doubts myself but I asked the smith about rechambering the .45/70 model for a more powerful cartridge but he was unwilling to do it or recommend it due to safety concerns.

If I bought one of them, I would definetly be making a new stock for it out of some nice timber, working the machining marks out of the action, lightening the trigger and heat treating the metal for more hardness before even shooting it. That makes it kinda not worth the effort, I am going to buy a Sabatti SABA rifled SxS shotgun to cure my first double rifle blues. The Baikal's are a low cost gun with low cost features, good for rolling around in the back of the ute/truck but that's it IMHO.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

wombat
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Australia
      #21620 - 02/12/04 09:42 PM

What is this Sabatti Saba?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Doubles cost [Re: wombat]
      #21627 - 03/12/04 03:41 AM

Ditto.

I am looking at a Sabatti break action single shot.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2751

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com