Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: gatsby]
      #117638 - 25/10/08 05:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not knowing H&H serial numbers, and the gun not being described as bored out, how is a novice to know?

By asking questions and doing your research. Sometimes a difficult task, unless your aware of Nitroexpress. Mick is not asking for the moon with his Holland 8, its probably priced accordingly but can you live with its faults?

Rigbym,
True big bore made for DG smoothbore ballguns seem to be quite rare. I have only seen 4 including the Holland under discussion that by their configuration (length weight and charge) and documentation (factory records) could be described as, ball guns, elephant guns etc. Made specifically for close encounters with angry animals they need not shoot as has been stated earlier more than 60yds but with more velocity and less recoil than a fully rifled gun.
Big bore paradoxes aren't a compromise. The dirty little secret about the big paradox guns is they are very accurate and easy to regulate even with a little wear in their bores.
Another good read is Sanderson "Thirteen Years Amoung The Wild Beasts of India". My avitar is the business end of a ballgun as described in the book.

As always..Gatsby, you are delivering facts and valuable info to me..
I know paradox guns are not themself a "compromise"...actually they are nice guns, but historicalwise, rifled boreguns is what I really is focused on these days. If I were ofcouse, to find any paradoxgun overhere, I`LL snap it before my shadow could keep up...don`t worry

Wild beast of India...or yeah...its my bedtime bible..(almost)

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=82967&an=0&page=3#Post82967

Some books I am now hunting is by Arthur Neumann and Alfred Pease...both authors were using
10 bore rifled guns....and ofcouse (thanks to you) With rifle in 5 Continents by Paul Niedick.
I`LL end poor just for buying books...hahaha

Edited by rigbymauser (25/10/08 05:20 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: Bramble]
      #117644 - 25/10/08 08:30 PM

Quote:

Having looked at my first post in reply to Rigby Mauser, it strikes me now that perhaps no body else knows that Jens and I are friends, the first comment about price was not to be taken seriously hence the smilie, he likes big bore guns and this was a bit of an ironic joke not an estimate.

Regards

Oh yes...My wife and I are still up for lunch...in London here around x-mas time..Perhaps we get to see you and spouse??.

BPEBuff
.275 member

Reged: 24/03/10
Loc: Norfolk, England
Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: jaz]
      #214681 - 16/08/12 12:25 AM

I am considering the purchase of a H&H double hammer rifle, little used, very sharp bores. Overall very nice honest condition. Any idea of a fair price for such a gun?

Best regards

GW.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: BPEBuff]
      #214685 - 16/08/12 01:19 AM

Is it an 8 bore, 4 bore or a bpe express? Engraved cased, original?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: BPEBuff]
      #215150 - 21/08/12 06:58 AM

Quote:

I am considering the purchase of a H&H double hammer rifle, little used, very sharp bores. Overall very nice honest condition. Any idea of a fair price for such a gun?

Best regards

GW.

Here is a nice ok priced 10bore H&H. Its an 8dramer gun. You may have to see the barrelflats to establish the bore diameter.

http://www.pantilesguns.co.uk/popups/rifles/holland.htm

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: rigbymauser]
      #215156 - 21/08/12 08:42 AM

I have been looking at that, it would make a nice companion to my H&H 8 bore ball gun (posted here)

Price £10K is enough but probably the going rate, I can't justify it - at the moment!

TH44

Edited by TH44 (21/08/12 08:50 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: jaz]
      #215160 - 21/08/12 01:01 PM

Quote:

Huvuis-
I mean no disrespect but you are comparing Apples and Oranges,
- Micks gun is a 15xxx serial number which means it is a Paradox
- The Paradox rifling is bored out, cut the value 40 - 60%
- The Ball gun is an original
JAZ

Actually, this particular Holland proved to be correct in every way as a smoothbore ball gun.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=192672&an=0&page=1#Post192672

Should have bought that darn thing!!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #215176 - 21/08/12 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Huvuis-
I mean no disrespect but you are comparing Apples and Oranges,
- Micks gun is a 15xxx serial number which means it is a Paradox
- The Paradox rifling is bored out, cut the value 40 - 60%
- The Ball gun is an original
JAZ

Actually, this particular Holland proved to be correct in every way as a smoothbore ball gun.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=192672&an=0&page=1#Post192672

Should have bought that darn thing!!

Perhaps we are talking about two different guns. One with a paradox serial #15xxx and the ball gun with a four digit serial #. With the British guns never say never but the ball gun has rounded hammers. I believe the paradoxes were all flat hammer guns.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Edited by CptCurl (14/10/12 10:39 PM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: gatsby]
      #215202 - 22/08/12 12:39 AM

I was referencing the gun that was offered at Mick's that TH44 picked up.
The thought that it was likely a paradox with bored out muzzles but it actually ended up being a genuine smooth bore ball gun.
All it took was contacting H&H to get the ledger page.
Funny that some sellers never do that. I would have bought it knowing that and should have taken it upon myself to look into it but the responses to my questions on the thread led me to think that it was a butchered paradox.
Oh well... Live and learn...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 8 bore Holland & Holland Double rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #215209 - 22/08/12 01:30 AM

Grener's book has a target fired at 50yards from an 8 bore ball gun. The wad under the ball in loaded ammo, has a cup - to centre the ball (just like the Swedish cup wad form a shot load), just as the plastic wads I used in the 12 bore were used. I had forgotten where the idea came to me long ago to use the plastic cups off an AA wad, and just now, remembered the picture of the 8 bore 'shell' from WW Greener's book. That was it.

Cup wads can be made of many materials, ie: Donnaconna, the fiberboard (black one side) placed in walls for sound deadening, and on the outside of new houses before the vinyl or aluminum siding. Anyway, boring/drilling/punching a hole in the centre of this 1/2" or thicker material, will give you a wad that will centre the ball, rather than having it bounce down the bore, if slightly undersized. Think of what might work for whatever bore gun you are loading balls for.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17038

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com