Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "On Face?'

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
empirevr
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: England,but now Italy.
Re: "On Face?' [Re: CptCurl]
      #126433 - 09/02/09 08:14 PM

Quick q...

Underlever or toplever for strength????

Ben

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: "On Face?' [Re: empirevr]
      #126447 - 09/02/09 11:19 PM

Good question. Strength of the lock, or strength of the action itself? I like the looks of an under lever on a classically styled gun but, I think the fewer holes along the action bar, the stronger the action. Among all of the various opening devices, the side lever reigns supreme in the looks department, for me. The question of strength would still apply. It's all theoretical as I'm sure no action has really failed due "only" to the opening/locking mechanism with proper loads.

--------------------

empirevr
.375 member

Re: "On Face?' [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #126588 - 10/02/09 10:39 PM

Hmm

The double rolling block seems the best double rifle action to have........!!!

Time someone made this, the looks are A-OK to me........and the gun would take any cals/loads.......no?

Just a thought!

Ben

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: "On Face?' [Re: CptCurl]
      #127701 - 22/02/09 06:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There is no doubt that a properly fitted Greener Crossbolt or Kersten Double Crossbolt (using the round bolt!!) is the best way to pin the action against the face and prevent the three firing forces (bending, axial, radial) from trying to do otherwise.

I don't agree. The Webley screw grip is stronger. An awesome system!

Curl

The so-called screw-grip fastener, is only as strong if it is fitted to a doll's head as the example you show in the picture above! If the screw-grip is on the end of a hidden extention, then it looses the ability to retard the forward movement, and only retards the opening around the hinged pin, and has no effect on stretch!

By the way that is a very nice double rifle in your picture! Is it your's?

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #127703 - 22/02/09 07:02 AM

Quote:

Hmm

Time someone made this, the looks are A-OK to me........and the gun would take any cals/loads.......no?

Just a thought!

Ben

Do you mean rolling block as remingtons rolling block? That one doesent take much to blow apart.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

450_366
.400 member

Re: "On Face?' [Re: 450_366]
      #127704 - 22/02/09 07:20 AM

I need to ask this.

Doesent the part in front of the bite in the lumps fit tightly in the action and helps to support the hinge pin from the stretch?

If so it means that when the gun is off face and the hinge pin only is tightend, it will take the full blow of the forces?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #127705 - 22/02/09 07:46 AM

Quote:

Hmm

Just a thought!

Ben

A rolling block action is very springy, and doesn't handle pressure well! I think what you might mean is a FALLING BLOCK ! A falling block double rifle like the Ruger No1 is strong as anything chambered for a sporting cartridge.

It would take some re-design to be a workable double rifle, but could be done! I've been working on a re-design of the basic Ruger No1 into a double rifle for some yrs now, in the drawing board stage as of yet, but refined enough now to go forward with a soft metal shop prototype to obtain a pattern for the parts.

This type double rifle is, like the bolt action double rifle by Fusch, it will not sell well, because of it's very un-treditional looks, no matter how strong it is! My design is a more treditional in looks, and in the way it works! We will see later this summer!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

450_366
.400 member

Re: "On Face?' [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #127714 - 22/02/09 09:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm

Just a thought!

Ben

A rolling block action is very springy, and doesn't handle pressure well! I think what you might mean is a FALLING BLOCK ! A falling block double rifle like the Ruger No1 is strong as anything chambered for a sporting cartridge.

It would take some re-design to be a workable double rifle, but could be done! I've been working on a re-design of the basic Ruger No1 into a double rifle for some yrs now, in the drawing board stage as of yet, but refined enough now to go forward with a soft metal shop prototype to obtain a pattern for the parts.

This type double rifle is, like the bolt action double rifle by Fusch, it will not sell well, because of it's very un-treditional looks, no matter how strong it is! My design is a more treditional in looks, and in the way it works! We will see later this summer!

I have seen a picture somewhere on a falling block double but cant find it, it was made 100 years ago that i remember.

--------------------
Andreas

empirevr
.375 member

Re: "On Face?' [Re: 450_366]
      #127737 - 22/02/09 05:57 PM

Yes falling block of course!-sorry I was reading something when I posted. the photo is on here! micksguns has it up for sale.

Best

Ben

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: "On Face?' [Re: armbar]
      #131742 - 08/04/09 05:09 AM

SXS answered this question well, and it should be noted that, on a sxs double that is on face, one will always find small space, say .003 to .006, between barrel flats and watertable; THAT IS NORMAL, as noted by sxs, while no space should be found between barrel ends and standing breech.

Brithunter
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Lincolnshire, England
      #195975 - 07/12/11 07:54 AM

Oh you mean like one of these:-

http://www.bradshawgunandrifle.com/Farquharson_Double_Rifle_1B.php

Double Farquharson rifle brand new made to your specs......

You should see the dinky SxS in 22 Hornet he made. Read the story of it being made with the photos down to forging the damascus billet to make the action out of.

--------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: "On Face?' [Re: Brithunter]
      #196063 - 08/12/11 04:37 AM

Oh YES! DR falling block - by Bailey Bradshaw. This is SPECTACULAR! I'm in lust. Check out that pop-up ghost ring peep.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: "On Face?' [Re: armbar]
      #196074 - 08/12/11 07:22 AM

I perform two measurements.

1) I support the rifle by the muzzle and stock then using a feeler gauge see if I can slip a .001" between the breach face and standing breach. You should not.

2) I open the action then close it on a .001" feeler. It should not be able to be pulled free.

I also like to wobble the forend to check for play. There should not be any.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: "On Face?' [Re: bonanza]
      #196079 - 08/12/11 08:15 AM

Getting back to the initial question asked here by armbar, yes, sxs answered it well, and I have also found that what bonanza had to say about using a standard feeler gauge of .001" thickness to check on/off face condition is very practical, much better than using a piece of paper to do the same thing, because some folks simply cannot assess the situation well by "eye" without using such a feeler gauge, which is practically a foolproof method. Remember too, that when gun is on face, you will normally have a small gap of around .003", maybe .004" or so between watertable and barrel flats, at base of standing breech--barrel flats should NEVER be touching the watertable at that point.

brosteve
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: TX USA
Re: "On Face?' [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #214885 - 18/08/12 01:05 PM

Question: When a gun goes off-face, does it stretch the dollshead? Wouldn't that seem to be a requisite for movement. If so, would it have to be repaired, and how? Steve

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: "On Face?' [Re: brosteve]
      #214904 - 18/08/12 07:49 PM

Yet no-one to date has spoken of sideclips.

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
Re: "On Face?' [Re: kamilaroi]
      #214919 - 19/08/12 04:03 AM

Brosteve

I recently saw a gun with the dollshead cracked at it's neck, because the gun had been let go so far of the face.

It is imperative to watch the joint condition of these old guns and rifles closely, and take remedial action at the first signs of looseness. If not, the potential damage increases exponentially with more use.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 50617

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com