Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value of time?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value of time?
      #20970 - 18/11/04 01:42 AM

Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value of time?

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value of time? [Re: bonanza]
      #20974 - 18/11/04 03:49 AM

Nope.

I know of a deluxe grade Chapuis .470 with extra 20 gauge barrels that a guy paid $21K for. It is in excellent condition. After being for sale for a year and a half for $15K, no offers.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value over time? [Re: 500grains]
      #20976 - 18/11/04 04:43 AM

I'm getting an African PH grade I for about $12,500 and am wondering what it may me worth in say 10 years. Not overly concerned, just curious.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value of time? [Re: bonanza]
      #20984 - 18/11/04 10:29 AM

Depends on what you pay. Typically, I figure that a dealer has about 20% mark-up in a new gun (Sometimes more in a used one), and add to that 11% FET (for a new one), and the dealer can replace your used (assuming you have to sell it to a dealer for a "quick sale) gun with a new gun for @ 31% less than retail.

So that's kind of the equation. If you can buy it for back of those figures, then you know what you're looking at come sale day.

As for the brand, I don't understand the Chapuis higher-grade / priced guns... they are competing at whole different level once they reach the 20K mark and there are a lot of different options at that price point.

So I see how you could get stung on buying a 20K Chapuis... based on the equation above, they guy with the 21K Chapuis came out about right... receiving about 70% of what he paid for it.

But on the lower grades, there is a much bigger market... if you can apply the above equation on mark-ups and feel good about it - then you're probably OK.

The other consideration is that the dollar is WAY down... the wholesale cost on those guns has gone up 40% in the past two years - based on teh Euro exchange rate... so in-effect all European guns have gone up 40% in value (when you consider the replacement cost.)

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

new_guy
Sponsor

Re: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value over time? [Re: bonanza]
      #20985 - 18/11/04 10:36 AM

I'm not associated with them, but here's a source for Chapuis that is definitely worth looking at.

http://www.heirloomarmes.com/chapuis_pop.htm

They are advertising $9500 for a Brousse grade 470, and Chaddick's is advertising $11,700 for the same gun in the same grade. The Jungle grade is $15K from them and $19,500 from Chaddicks!

The PH1 is the Brousse grade with upgraded wood and Chaddick's-defined engraving.

Good Luck

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value over time? [Re: new_guy]
      #20986 - 18/11/04 12:14 PM

new_guy

"They are advertising $9500 for a Brousse grade 470, and Chaddick's is advertising $11,700 for the
same gun in the same grade."

Are you not forgetting that the $9500 price is based in St Etienne whereas the Chaddick's
price is a US$ price IN the US.

People conveniently forget freight, Import duty, VAT / GST, etc etc. I think by the time you add
freight, Import duty, VAT / GST to the $9500 it would work out about the same.

500 Nitro

new_guy
Sponsor

Re: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value over time? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #20987 - 18/11/04 12:30 PM

500 - I just bought two from him about a month ago. they weren't 470s though.

He's not in France. He's in Minnesota, USA. Those are US dollars, and and my purchase price was the same as advertised and included Taxes, Duty, Shipping, etc....

I did pay $90 extra for overnight Fed-Ex shipping and Saturday delivery to my FFL holder though.

Maybe some dealers just make more "markup" than others?

Send me a PM and I'll get you his phone number and email.

Maybe something can be learned from the newcomers to these forums afterall?

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value over time? [Re: new_guy]
      #21106 - 22/11/04 01:23 PM

In reply to:

Maybe something can be learned from the newcomers to these forums afterall?

A truer quote was never written! No information, is in-valid, simply because the despencer, is unknown!

As to the origenal question, and as someone already stated, the re-sale depends on the price paid in the first place! Also, the thought about the market being a lot larger in the field grade rifles of any make, gives a better chance of recouping some of your money. Most folks who can afford to buy a $20K, or up, rifle, will buy a new rifle made to order, or a very well documented used "NAME" Britt!

New double rifles, will inverably be discounted when sold used, just as the old lower grades did when they were sold after only four or five years use, by the origenal buyer! When they were only a five years old used double rifle, they were not collector pieces as they are today, and sold as used rifles, nothing more! The formula given above, by someone, about the resale, is valid for the new double rifles. It would have been valid for the older rifles when they were five years old, as well! When the new doubles, of today, are 80, or 90 years old, they will be colector pieces as well, and will sell for far more that the price paid new! One simply cannot compare the priceing of collector pieces, against a contemparary piece!

I say if you are buying to sell, then buy a good Britt rifle, and spend the money it takes to tune it into top condition. That is machanical restoration, more than refinishing.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value over time? [Re: bonanza]
      #21199 - 23/11/04 12:16 PM

In reply to:

I'm getting an African PH grade I for about $12,500 and am wondering what it may me worth in say 10 years. Not overly concerned, just curious.

bonanza,
I wouldn't be worried too much about it's value to you in ten years.
The thing is, what is it worth to you DURING those ten years!

While I would always prefer a nice old pommie double to a modern European or US gun, at least with the Chapuis, if it is new, you know what you are actually getting for your money.
To give an example of how things can go wrong, I know of a very worn very ordinary very ugly brit 470 which was dolled up with lots of refinishing restocking re-engraving and dropped into a very fancy case and sold for close to US 30K to a dude who thought he knew what he was buying but really didn't!

With the Chapuis, even if you lose a bit when you sell, who cares, so long as you had fun times with it while it was yours.

Edited by 4seventy (23/11/04 03:49 PM)

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Will a Chapuis 470 hold is value over time? [Re: 4seventy]
      #21348 - 26/11/04 02:04 PM

The Euro just went up again to
the Dollar. You can bet all the
Europan guns will be going up
again. Just remember it will
someday be the other direction.
What goes up will come down.
That being said I think most
of the current production guns
are a value when compaired to
older British rifles.

Ken
San Antonio

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1941

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com