Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: bemesu 9.3x74R double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
lapsub
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/04
bemesu 9.3x74R double rifle
      #21313 - 25/11/04 11:09 AM

good afternoon, gentlemen

i am hoping one of you can help me identify a fine german double rifle which i recently bought.

the barrels are unmarked except under the forend. there it says something like "Bemesu" in a florid script on the bottom of the barrels just forward of the breech. conceivably it could be Remesu, Bemesee or Remesee, but i think not.

when you break the action open, you can see that the receiver is also marked with that name. also the serial number 54XX appears near Bemesu in both places.

to the right of the Bemesu name under the barrels, it says "8H" or "SH" again in florid script.

the following marks are all on the undersides of both barrels just forward of the breech, the same marks on the right barrel and again on the left, except as noted:

an outline of a crown over a capital N. the crown is topped by a small cross. this means Nitro proofed, i.e. smokeless powder, correct?

to the right of the crown-N, the letters "St. m. G." and directly below the St m G it says "18 gr" which i have read means 18 gram bullet, about 276 grains. and i read that the St m G means it was proofed with a steel-jacketed bullet.

nearby it says "9 mm" and immediately below that it says 75

on the left barrel only, below below the 9 mm 75 it says "10/24" so i assume it was made in october of 1924

immediately below the 10/24 is a strange symbol that looks like the greek letter "pi" with a small circle on top of it. it could be a stylized human form.

below that, there are a series of three more proof marks, each a crown-with-cross over a capital letter: one is crown-U, the 2nd is crown-E, the 3rd is crown-G

the receiver has the same crown-U, which i learned means "proof accepted". i don't understand what that means -- if it didn't pass the proof tests they wouldn't proof mark it, so why add this extra indication that it passed? doesn't matter, just curious.

i just had a gunsmith slug the barrel and make a chamber casting. it is a 9.3x74R.

i know that the 9 mm proof mark is bore diameter (versus 9.3 is groove), but i can not explain the 75 instead of 74 unless the proof house was stating that the chamber was 1 mm longer than the brass case length...?

the only other mark on the rifle is a capital S on the underside of the rib that joins the barrel; the S is just forward of the forend hanger.

do any of you experts recognize the proof marks? the name Bemesu?

this is a magnificent old rifle, well made, extensively engraved, and fitted with claw mounts and an old zeiss scope. it has 60 cm barrles (23.6") and weighs only 7 lbs 9 oz without the scope, a very handy little gun for that caliber.

one last thing: it is a "clamshell" action, there are curved wings on each side of the breech so that when the breech ends of the barrels lock down against the the receiver, their is a steel shell along the left side of the left barrel and along the right side of the right barrel. these extend alongside the barrels for over an inch forward of the breechfaces, and extend halfway up the side of the barrels. this gives tremendous lateral strength ot the breech mechanism and will not allow the barrels to wiggle sideways even a tiny little bit. unusual design.

i sure would appreciate any info you gents can give me.

thank you very much & happy thanksgiving to all

lapsub

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: bemesu 9.3x74R double rifle [Re: lapsub]
      #21316 - 25/11/04 12:20 PM

lapsub.
From a book on proof I have......

Crown/U Supplementary mark signifying inspection or view after proof.

Crown/E Supplementary mark applied to express rifles.

Crown/G Supplementary mark for barrels firing solid projectiles.

Yeah, those clamshell actions look very strong.
JP Sauer built doubles on that type of action.

Could "bemesu" have anything to do with the type of steel used in the barrels?

I'm sure someone here will know.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #21319 - 25/11/04 12:41 PM

Can you supply some pictures? It sounds like a very neat rifle.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #21329 - 26/11/04 03:07 AM

Aside from the date marks you suggest (which I agree with October 1924) and the obvious Nitro Proof Marks, I don't know much more about the gun you're describing.

However, I do know that the europeans and the Germans in particular built a LOT of "guild guns." These are guns that were built as an apprentice's project while many othes were just built by local gunmakers with no name on them and/or very little "Branding" (in the sense that we're used to seeing on modern guns) of the maker's name on the gun.

So a local "gun maker" would buy a set of barrels from the local barrel maker that supplied them to the "trade"... an action from the next guy, a piece of walnut, etc...

the good new is that most of these guns (despite the lack of a clearly indicated maker's name) were very well made guns.

"Bemesu" may have been the maker's name, or the type of steel, or may have been the owner's name that the moon-lighting gunsmith made the gun for!?

Either way, it sounds like a nice gun. But you should also be prepared to find out very little about it's origin as this type of gun-making was very common.

Good luck!

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

lapsub
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Re: bemesu 9.3x74R double rifle [Re: new_guy]
      #21332 - 26/11/04 04:44 AM

thanks very much to mickey, 4seventy and newguy for your help.

i just learned of nitroexpress.com and its forums two days ago from a reply that i got to a similar post at a gunshop.com forum. a member at gunshop suggested i joiun nitroexpress and post my question here, more members focused on doubles.

meanwhile, overnight i just got a couple of replies at gunroom.com. a gent from st petersburg russia said that Bemesu is a Latvian name and that Latvian rifles suring the 1920's usually had german proof marks......

and a nice chap in idaho said he has a friend with a nearly identical rifle, also marked Bemesu. he added that Bemesu is the maker's name -- although why he didn't put his name on thge barrels, nobody knows.....this chap offered to put me in touch with his friend who has the Bemesu and who also has some info on the maker.

if i am fortunate enough to get that info, i'll post it here for you gents.

as for pictures, i don't have a clue how to take digital photos then upload them. but i'll try to get my pal who is an expert to teach me. then maybe i can figure out how to post pix here......maybe......

thanks again for your input, gentlemen, and happy thanksgiving.

lapsub

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #21334 - 26/11/04 06:05 AM

Lapsub, that sounds like a very nice little rifle. There is a picture on the cover, and an article in the September 2004 issue of rifle magazine that is exactly the rifle you describe! The rifle in the article is an old "Beissel & winnieckl 9.3X74R with a scope in QD mounts. Congratualtions on your find!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #21337 - 26/11/04 06:40 AM

lapsub, Welcome to the forum. I have been using a 9,3x74R double [with scope] for a little over 6 years. It has become my favorite rifle under 40 cal. 286 grain bullets are my favorite, with the Woodleigh and the Nosler Partition giving excellent results on small and big game. From bobcat, coyote, turkeys, deer, pigs, black bear, kudu ,waterbuck,impala, baboon,civet cat, jackel, klipspringer It kills very fast with very little meat or hide damage.
I have found the 9,3 to be very effective to 300 yards.

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: bemesu 9.3x74R double rifle [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #21338 - 26/11/04 08:10 AM

Is this it?

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=1379&magid=95

Edited by DPhillips (26/11/04 08:11 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3383

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com