Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee One Piece Stock

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Lee One Piece Stock
      #213162 - 21/07/12 12:30 PM

It's not really a Lee Speed but some might be interested. I've taken some pics. of a work in progress (seems like forever). Many years ago I purchased a one piece stock for a Lee Enfield from Ellwood Epps, I've sort of put the project on the back shelf but now am thinking of completing the project albeit with another better barreled receiver and reconfiguring the stock especially the cheek piece. Any one out there kind enough to post the pics. here that I can send them to. --- John303.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Lee One Piece Stock [Re: John303]
      #220109 - 24/11/12 04:29 AM

Epps seems to have believed the one piece stock was somehow superior. At least that is how their catalogue reads. I have no idea why as it obviously isn't superior from any practical perspective. The Lee Enfield does not have recoil lugs large enough to adequately distribute the force of recoil to a one piece stock in my opinion. The butt socket did the job perfectly though!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Lee One Piece Stock [Re: Old_Glass]
      #220124 - 24/11/12 07:22 AM

When well glassed in, the 1-piece stocks I saw back in the 70's seemed to give very credible accuracy - with handloads - in the #3's, but I do not remember them being particularly better than 2 piece stocks.

I have 2 #4's that shoot exceptionally well with the 2 piece stocks (one military and the other a factory sport stock) and see only 2 reasons to change them. both rifles will make 1 1/2", 3 shot groups at 100 meters off bags - factory peep rear and blade front. The 2 piece plastic stocks have better length of pull as well as 'feeling' and 'looking' more like a rifle you'd want to hunt with. They actually look pretty good- and are not expensive - $75.00 I think will fit both #4 and #3's - sometimes with slight modification, sometimes drop-in.

A friend of mine has just finished up his fall hunt with a #4. Keith's load was not excessive for the .303 chambered #4 & custom .308" barrel - something like 45gr. IMR4064 with a .308" 150gr. Interbond @ 2,740fps or so. This fall, he shot 1 bull moose, 2 deer and a bull elk with that load - with picture perfect expansion, exceptional retained weight (140gr. average) and very impressive penetration, with exits on the deer. Sounds like a good tough bullet.
Oh yes - 2 piece plastic stock.
I should add that Keith is the best game shot I have every seen. The elk was well past my self-imposed limit of 300yards, yet the .303 did the job - 3 steps and dead.
Another great old round with no flies buzzing it's carcase.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2511

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com