Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Want to buy my first double...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Want to buy my first double... [Re: new_guy]
      #21307 - 25/11/04 05:30 AM

new guy:

IIRC, both bore 1925 rule proof marks, meaning post 1925 and pre 1955. Both were in fine condition.

As to the reason for the failures, I've always wondered and can only speculate. I think the problem the 9.3 had with Norma ammo likely had something to do with case head dimensions. In general though, it strikes me that the rimless set-up has to be finely tuned to begin with. The pawl spring must be strong enough to prevent the pawl from popping out of the extractor cut and slipping over the case head during extraction. At the same time, it must be weak enough to allow the fired cartridge to eject, as the pawl rides the case body all the way out. Too much tension will cause the case to hang up on the pawl causing incomplete ejection. Of course, a weak ejector kick can cause the same thing and I would think that both systems have to be tuned together. Fired cases hung up and failed to completely eject with both of the Westley's, especially so with the 9.3. I don't know, but it seems to me that this system could get out of tune rather easily over time with normal wear.
---------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Re: Want to buy my first double... [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #21457 - 29/11/04 10:48 PM

I'm surprised that you have seen problems with WR. My plain old T model 318 is absolutely reliable. I'd wonder about soft (?over annealed) cases, too hot loads or dirty, corroded or strangely shaped chambers.

I had a Brno returned from a gunsmith who had it for one reason or other, with a note that it failed to extract or eject the top barrel (375 H&H Belted). It was fine before he got his hands on it. Before taking it out I gave it a good clean and lube and ran a mop coated with jewelers rouge into the chamber using a dremel tool. I just got back from shooting it (50+ rounds) and had no problems.

mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5235

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com