Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Grouse Hunting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Grouse Hunting
      #15982 - 19/06/04 11:12 PM

Whats the skill to hunting grouse or woodcock without a dog?Do you have to see them on the ground & then walk on up to them to flush?Also would you hunt close to creek bottoms or fields around creeks?How important is hunting around water or bogs?Would woodcock be a considerable way off from soft wet soil?Iam just learning & novice to the birds.Should the thickets be better than fields?
Also isnt it unsporting to shoot one on the ground?Are the hens quickly distinguished in a flush?
#1-Whats the best time of year to hunt grouse,early or late season in the south?
#2-Best Loads in shotshells average range taken
#3-Any special secrets or cooking recipes
#4-Can they be found around river bottoms in the south
#5-Early,midday,late,Whats the best time of day to grouse & woodcock hunt?
#6-Do you take the safety off on a bird that a dog is pointing & walk forward Or take it off the instant the bird flushes as you raise your shotgun?Whats the correct method?
Thanks Nitrobrothers and Happy Hunting!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Grouse Hunting [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #15992 - 20/06/04 02:01 AM

HI Blackbear hunter,

When I lived in the Alaskan interior (arround Fairbanks) I was a pretty avid grouse hunter for both Spruce and Ruffed grouse. Now up north they are called "fool hen" and are not too challenging most time. Most guys just cruise the roads and "ground swat" them (not condoning this, but it happens). Also a lot of guys shoot them with 22s. You can hunt without dogs. One of the best methods is to go to logging areas (grouse need the transition areas) either early in the morning and hunt arround trails they fill their crops with stones then in coveys. Also late afternoon they start to roost so also easy to find them then.

Having moved to Virginia there are very few ruffed grouse in the mountains in the area (MD, VA, NC etc). Not sure how it is in Georgia. If its like VA a dog is really necessary. You can bust brush for weeks and not see a single bird arround here. Best hunting is in the thickest stuff you can find, the like to hide in Mountain laurel, and feed on wild grapes, old apple orchards, etc arround here. As much as I love grouse I've given up here in this area, its just not worth it. I'm reall new to woodcock so I cann't give yo much info...

Nothing really special on guns and loads. They are not big or tough birds. A light gun is good and one that you can manuver arround in tight spaces is always a plus. Any guage from 12-28 (or even 410 if you're a good shot, though I'm not a fan of it for hunting...), a 20 or 28 will suit grouse fine. 7-1/2 or 8 shot will work well. Not need for magnum loads. I think a light 20 SxS or O/U is a perfect grouse gun, but use what you like.

For safeties, I use SxS with tang mounted safties and its my habit to take the safety off while I mount the gun and put it back when I lower the gun. You can practice this while shooting low gun skeet, trap or sporting clays. After you say pull, as you mount the gun take the safety off. After a little while it will become second nature. Tom Huggler and Robert Elman have written some good books on upland birds.

THe shots grouse here are close. They flush when you are in the thickest stuff and you only have a second before they are out of sight.

Ruffed grouse cook up nicely. Nice white meat. Just cook as you do pheasant or partiridge. Spruce grouse a not nice (taste like spruce tress....), but you can make them nice. I used to make a lot of mexican food with them, fajitas and the like and that worked.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

jgttechjunkie
.275 member

Reged: 20/02/04
      #19432 - 26/09/04 09:07 AM

I don't know anything about grouse hunting in the South.
Also I now do all of my bird hunting with a dog - but I used to grouse hunt in Canada without a dog, and here are my comments, that might be of use to you.

One technique I would use would be to walk in what I would call "light woods", patches of relatively small aspen trees that spotted the landscape of grain farms and cattle ranches where I hunted. Every once in a while I would flush a grouse, but rarely would I react fast enough to hit it. I would shoot anyway, because I had this theory that if you shoot they seem to land faster, while if you just observe they fly forever. Once I had flushed them I would look to spot the general area in which I thought they had gone down. My experience was that when they did a manoeveur like that they were not necessarily tucked in a familiar hideout for them, but were standing someplace worried about what was coming next. I would head for the general area that I thought I had seen them go down, only this time I was very prepared so when they flushed I was ready and had a good chance to succeed.They are not difficult to kill, but many times there is a lot of growth between you and the flying bird, which I translate into 12 gauge with heavy loads of 7 1/2s and an open choke. You have to be careful if you have an open shot with such a load because you can destroy any hope of eating them. Also, be alert after that initial flush, because there frequently are others which might flush just as you relax and put your shotgun down, cursing that you weren't fast enough for the first one.

If you go to the woods in the fall, before snow and when the leaves are down and dry, you can listen and hear them scratching in the leaves well before you see them.

The other technique would be to walk in fields along the edges of the woods. Here again I would usually find that I would not react soon enough to a flush, but I would try to spot where they went down (usually in the woods proper) and go after them.

They do go for gravel in the evenings, and if it looks like a snow storm is coming up they can be caught in open fields eating clover, they seem to be less cautious then and focus on eating as much as they can before the storm hits. I suspect this would not happen in the South. In the bush they are usually feasting on one berry or another, especially high bush cranberries in the areas I was in.

The wonderful thing about ruffed grouse is that they appear to be a small bird but they have huge and very tasty breasts.

Spruce grouse are different, they indeed are fools' hens. One could snare them, they are so reluctant to fly or run. Many a spruce grouse has had its head shot off by a high powered rifle in the hands of a bored moose hunter. They do taste of, well, spruce needles.

Finally there are sharptail grouse or prairie chicken. I find these birds to be very nervous, they flush much more wildly, although they inhabit more open areas. I have had little success with them without dogs. The shots are longer than for ruffies, and I prefer to use #5 or #6 shot with modified choke, even over dogs.

I once went ruffed grouse hunting with a partner who was fast enough to shoot and get the grouse on that first fast surprise flush, but his quickness actually made me nervous and I chose not to hunt with him any more.

There are people who cruise gravel roads in the evening looking for ruffed grouse. I don't like it when someone shoots with a shotgun while they are on the ground, any more than I would like it if I saw someone shoot a duck sitting on water. If you do spot one by the side of a gravel road they usually will flush, or run into the bush and flush, if you walk up on them.

I like to use double shotguns with a tang safety, that way it is a natural movement to move the safety off while mounting the gun to shoot, just as the previous poster suggested.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Grouse Hunting [Re: jgttechjunkie]
      #19531 - 29/09/04 10:00 AM

When deciding where to buy my modest retirement home with my meager resources I had one criteria...proximity to excellent grouse hunting...

I found the end of the rainbow, Libby, MT!...Lots of Ruffed and good populations of Blue and Spruce, and yes...I like to eat spruce grouse...

South and East of there I can hunt sagegrouse. There are praire chicken and sharptail East of the Divide...

I'm presently arranging to have my Lewellin, Scarlet , bred so I'll have an ongoing supply of grouse crazy bird dogs.

I will have to find a nice pointing 16ga sxs IC/Mod before I move. Otherwise, I'm ready to give up all this fun, working for Bozos, and head North.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Grouse Hunting [Re: luv2safari]
      #19551 - 30/09/04 06:40 AM

My wife and I have hunted ruffed, spruce, and blue grouse several times in the NW corner of Montana [around Libby].
Always in conjunction with a black bear hunt. Several times we have gone up a week early JUST to hunt grouse.
We have used 20 and 12 ga shotguns as well as 22 pistols, reduced loads in a 308 [did not work as they were not reduced enough ], and Speer shot shells in our 44 pistols and a 45 ACP.
We love to eat grouse and I freely admit that we will "skillet" shoot them when ever possible. I like to eat grouse so much I would shoot one off the shoulder of the Game Warden.
Usually you can get pretty close to these mountain grouse and light loads of #8's and 7 1/2's work fine.
We have taken many a grouse [several flying for you purists] with an 18 1/2 " 20 ga double.
We cook them just like fried chicken.

Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
Re: Grouse Hunting [Re: Chasseur]
      #19567 - 01/10/04 06:42 AM

Grouse populations in VA are much improved over 30 years ago. Still, you need a dog to find the grouse before and after shooting. All game birds other than grouse are in decline in VA. Grouse were down so low populations could only improve.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Grouse Hunting [Re: Hobie]
      #19625 - 06/10/04 03:39 AM

Thanks for the information Hobbie!

I'm going to try again this year, but its hard to find good spots in less than a two hour drive (I'm in northern Virginia).

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: Grouse Hunting [Re: Chasseur]
      #19642 - 08/10/04 01:35 AM

Safari,

I have a friend in southern Id. That has a great Llewelyn male if you are looking for a stud. I have hunted behind him a bit and he knows his stuff. Let me know if you are interested. They are great dogs.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Grouse Hunting [Re: Taos]
      #19724 - 13/10/04 09:00 AM

Yes, I am...very much so. Scarlet is crazy about birds and needs to get with a stud with the same mindset. I absolutely love this Llewellin; she is my first of that breed, and I'm sold on them.

I had two great little English Setters from Birdwell in Coos Bay, Oregon. They are gone now, and I only have Scarlet. She is so birdy that it would be a shame to not breed her to a good stud. I plan on doing this in February, so the pups will be ready for some field experience by next fall.

And Thanks!!

--------------------

Siskiyous6
.275 member

Reged: 21/11/04
Loc: Del Norte COunty, CA
      #21116 - 22/11/04 04:33 PM

I shoot grouse in California and Oregon. I have yet to take a Blue Grouse. they are very wary. But, I take ruffed grouse with a handgun, a legal method here. I use my Model 63 S&W in .22RF. I uswd to have a good reputation with that little gun, at the range and on grouse. But, since my eyes turned forty something that gun has become less reliable on them. I will probably get a scoped handgun for grouse in the near future, or just pot shoot them with a shotgun.

They are found in cold spots near seeps and springs, with big timber and brush nearby.

They are great table fare, world class in my opinion, but not really a sporting class upland game bird.

I introduced my son to shooting by letting him take them with his 28gauge Ruger Red Label. He takes them on the ground and in the air. His eyes are probably what the little S&W needs to go back to work on them in the style it was accustomed to.

We don't need dogs because so many are taken where they sit. We are persistant in going into the brush for the few that get out of sight.

When we want sporting shots we go after quail. We need a good dog for that.

--------------------
Pass it on!

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: Grouse Hunting [Re: Siskiyous6]
      #21276 - 24/11/04 01:22 PM

Shhhhhhhh...don't tell, but there are quite a few Blues in the Warner Wilderness above Cedarville...Shhhhhhhh!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1900

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com