Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
DBLGN
.224 member

Reged: 16/10/07
Loc: Colorado, USA
Accepting commissions for new double rifle work
      #206841 - 10/04/12 09:53 AM

I have been delaying this post in hopes that I could time it with the announcement that my web site is up and running, but no such luck.

I am accepting new commissions for double rifle work. I am offing two basic services. The first, I can build an extra barrels for your double rifle. You may have .500 N.E. and want a set of 450/400 barrels - I can build them for you. Another reason for extra barrels is that the new barrels will be capable of shooting the new monolithic solids without concern for the safety of your vintage barrels. In general, these barrels will be of "shoelump" construction, so there will be no seams and the barrels contours can closely match the original barrels.

The second service is what most of you know me for, building a double rifle on a shotgun action. I have a couple of donor actions in the shop, that can be purchased if you have me build the rifle.

I also do parts replacement for SxS double rifles and SxS double shotguns. Generally this means building the parts from scratch and fitting them to the gun.

I have integral top ribs for sale, as well as hollow mid-rib and underrib sets. The integral top ribs come in two styles, hollow/concave ribs, and flat ribs. I have built a rib matting machine and the flat ribs can be matted in at least 7 different patterns at this time. I also have some tools for sale that are used in the building of double rifles (take-down tools, barrel spreaders, rib clamps, etc.) and once the web site is up, those items will be posted there.

In the past 13 months I have built 6 double rifles. That is a bit misleading, in that it sounds like you can get a double rifle in approximately 2 months. Realistically, there is some overlap on most projects, but once I start a project, it is usually completed in less than 4 months, provided that restocking is not required. I have .458 caliber and 12 bore rifle barrels in stock and could start a project in either of those immediately.

All work is performed on a "first come, first served" basis, and, in fairness to my customers, I will not accept work too far out. I keep up regular correspondence with my customers as to the status of their project - usually on a weekly basis with photos of the progress on their project (email).

Anyone interested in having work done, please PM or email me, and I will send you my current price information. References can be provided on request.

Ellis Brown

--------------------
DBLGN

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
577500WR
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: Anchorage, AK
Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: DBLGN]
      #206978 - 13/04/12 08:34 AM

I would say that if anyone wanted a double rifle that was built by the man who wrote the book on the subject, literally,you should give Ellis a call. He does great work, keep you posted through pictures and email, and listens to your needs.

On top of all of that, he is a great guy to deal with and is fair beyond measure.

Best of luck Ellis and thanks for the work you did for me. I appreciate it.

Matt Moore
Alaska

--------------------
Most folks nowadays think talking about guns is a perversity. I view the old guns as being a record of the industrial revolution transforming the ordinary into high art and functionality.

DBLGN
.224 member

Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: 577500WR]
      #207023 - 14/04/12 08:59 AM

Thanks for the great PR Matt!!

Ellis

--------------------
DBLGN

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #207688 - 26/04/12 10:43 AM

Ellis:
Do you re-regulate barrels?
Bob

DBLGN
.224 member

Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: aromakr]
      #207717 - 27/04/12 12:50 AM

I have not taken on re-regulation of existing barrels. JJ Perodeau, at Champlins, does it for such an affordable price and does, from all accounts, such a good job, I can't compete. Honestly, I don't know how he can do it for the price he charges, probably because of the amount of experience he has.

For me, every rifle would be a new challenge and from what I have seen, there are many methods of regulation (from an assembly standpoint) and some would lend themselves to re-regulation more than others, so consistent pricing would be difficult for me. Until I did as many re-regulations as JJ, I would have to take each project on a one-up basis, and would probably have to charge a lot more than JJ, to cover my time and probable re-blacking.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but......

A supervisor of mine once admonished me, "It's okay to be honest, but you don't have to be "brutely" honest." Never quite figured it out.

Ellis

--------------------
DBLGN

Edited by DBLGN (27/04/12 12:51 AM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #207718 - 27/04/12 02:28 AM

Quote:

A supervisor of mine once admonished me, "It's okay to be honest, but you don't have to be "brutely" honest." Never quite figured it out.

That's great advice. I'm afraid I've not quite mastered the concept either.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: CptCurl]
      #207719 - 27/04/12 03:06 AM

Ellis:
thank you for your response, do you have a contact for JJ?
Bob

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: aromakr]
      #207728 - 27/04/12 08:41 AM

Quote:

Ellis:
thank you for your response, do you have a contact for JJ?
Bob

I do hope you are not asking Ellis that question !!

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: Sarg]
      #207733 - 27/04/12 10:40 AM

JJ's info.

http://www.champlinarms.com/

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

DBLGN
.224 member

Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: AkMike]
      #207736 - 27/04/12 11:13 AM

Quote:
"I do hope you are not asking Ellis that question !!"

It's okay, I basically sent him in that direction. Had I read the post before someone else gave Bob the contact info, I would have been happy to send it to him. Thanks for looking out for me though.

Edited by DBLGN (27/04/12 11:15 AM)

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #207767 - 28/04/12 07:12 AM

Ellis

Ellis,
Having an MBA, I think that I know what your supervisor was saying. My opinion is that too many businessmen of today, such as possibly your supervisor, must have been asleep when business ethics was being discussed at length in graduate school! It very well could be that such an attitude contributed greatly to our recent near financial collapse of U.S. economy.

DBLGN
.224 member

Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #207776 - 28/04/12 10:35 AM

Quote:

Ellis

Ellis,
Having an MBA, I think that I know what your supervisor was saying. My opinion is that too many businessmen of today, such as possibly your supervisor, must have been asleep when business ethics was being discussed at length in graduate school! It very well could be that such an attitude contributed greatly to our recent near financial collapse of U.S. economy.

DoubleRifle Jack,
You may well be right! The company that I worked for, recently filed bankruptcy after being in business over 100 years, and being a Fortune 500 company.

Ellis

--------------------
DBLGN

DBLGN
.224 member

#212597 - 13/07/12 09:37 AM

Gentlemen,
Due to the lack of serious work for the last 7 months (no double rifles to build), and not getting paid for a major project last year, I have been forced to take on gainful employment.

I will be starting a full time position on Monday (7/16/12). This means that I will be only doing gun work part time again and the time frame for a getting any work done will be lengthened considerably.

I want to thank those that had me build them a double rifle last year (except the one that didn't pay!!) and for all of those that responded to this thread with inquiries about having work done.

It was fun ride and the most fulfilling year and a half of my working life, but the honeymoon is over and the bills need to be paid.

Thanks again,
Ellis

--------------------
DBLGN

Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
      #212618 - 13/07/12 11:53 PM

Ellis,

I'm saddened to here the latest news. I am happy to hear that you will continue to offer your services on a part time basis. Once I get my dealing with J. White Gunsmithing wrapped up you will be hearing from me and hopefully undertaking a conversion for me as well.

Nothing against off the shelf guns but they are exactly that, off the shelf with limited means for personalization when purchased. Personalizing an off the shelf gun or having one of the major names build a custom gun is beyond my means for the most part. Because of this the services you offer are more valuable than they appear. While the finished product you provide may in some cases be as much as an off the shelf proposition to me it offers so much more. A conversion provides me with a wider range of caliber selections, barrel lengths, action types as well as the nice additions like side plates and rib types and sights.

Your web page picture gallery supports this point. One detail I like is having the regulation load info and the gunsmith's shop info stamped on the barrel. I think this is a classic touch that adds to appeal of a double rifle.

Hopefully in a month or so we can talk about a commission. I only regret that we couldn't have done so earlier and that you are having to end your honeymoon with double rifle building.

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: AkMike]
      #212625 - 14/07/12 01:01 AM

Quote:

JJ's info.

http://www.champlinarms.com/

Make sure anyone doing business with them lets them know they saw it on NitroExpress.com. Be good if guys getting sales and referrals off this site and forums, put something in, in terms of sponsorships too.

Sort of like advertising for commissions without asking first ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (14/07/12 01:13 AM)

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: Accepting commissions for new double rifle work [Re: NitroX]
      #212704 - 15/07/12 01:46 AM

Ellis, hope you get enough orders to go back to building doubles full time very soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8463

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com