Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: English double rifle & fitting accessoires?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Konstantin
.224 member

Reged: 22/06/12
Loc: Vienna
English double rifle & fitting accessoires?
      #211964 - 03/07/12 10:09 AM

Hello,

after some years of searching I bought myself a nice old doublerifle (Nitro Express) , which unfortunately came without a rifle case. After some weeks of searching I get me one from England. It's still on his way to me, so not having seen it live, but from the pictures it looks just perfect. Not that old, maybe 30 years, but therefore in perfect condition!

Now I'm after some typical gun and rifle case accessoires which have been delivered by the London manufacturers in former times (approximately 1905)- with an Nitro Express Double Rifle. Accessoires to fit the compartments of my rifle case, like:
A) classic English turnscrew set,
B) cleaning Rod (detachable)
C) striker key
D) striker Box
E) ?

I allready have searched the internet several times and found a lot of Websites, Shops, and resellers which sell items like mentioned before. The prices varies e.g. from 80 US$ up to 380US$ for a set of 3 turnscrew with a buffalo Horn handle. To be honest, I don't think that I will ever use them, but for the case I have to, I want a tool of good quality which won't harm the screws when take them out. But which set will give you best price for value? Does anyone can tell me, if and how there are differences by quality. I saw offers from UK, IT and the US...and everyone states that there own one is the best

Another point is, I like to have the Design as near by the origin as possible.

Concerning B) Can someone tell me if the typical kind of cleaning rod for DR always were the ones that have been made out of brass; as for shotguns the detachable made out of rosewood, or have doubles been fitted with rosewood rods too?

If you can suggest a special seller or address where I can get good accessoires, I realy apreciate it.
For any other hint that has a subject to my question, you are welcome.

Cheers
Konstantin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: English double rifle & fitting accessoires? [Re: Konstantin]
      #212018 - 04/07/12 02:46 AM

If we talk about turnscrew sets and their quality, the most important is that those tools tips are exactly fitted to yours rifles screw heads. If not, they will spoil screws immediately when somebody use them. Other important factor is steel quality and tempering. My screwdrivers tips are almost as hard as a good knifes blade, it donīt bent either break when correctly using them.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Konstantin
.224 member

Re: English double rifle & fitting accessoires? [Re: Igorrock]
      #212192 - 07/07/12 01:34 AM

Many thanks for your lines.

Cheers
Konstantin

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: English double rifle & fitting accessoires? [Re: Konstantin]
      #212198 - 07/07/12 05:41 AM

Konstantin,
Turnscrews (what some call screwdrivers), no matter how expensive, are made to be especially ground by the new owner, to fit specific pins (what some call screws), so you are most unlikely to find pre-ground turnscrews to fit your gun/rifle. Different British makers of the past, used different turnscrew design patterns, so unless you can find an original case, or picture of it, with accessories, from your rifle maker, you are unlikely to determine exact design type. Buy a copy of an original catalog originally sold by maker of your gun/rifle, and look in that, to find pictures of cases and accessories originally sold by your maker, to determine design type of accessories, etc. One source for such copies of early catalogs is in U.S.A. (do a google search for gun catalogs). Buffalo Horn handles were available, as were real ivory handles, and wood handles, etc. Personally, I like buffalo handles. Such tools can be bought from custom makers, who work to duplicate original tools. In trying to find some original ones, try the following: peterdyson.co.uk, and finesportingcollectables.co.uk, and online website, Micks Guns in UK, and there are other locations too. If you decide to buy modern copies of original tools, search for them on websites. They are available from numerous dealers; most of these modern tools are made in India/China, as you would imagine, except of custom made by one of the few modern custom makers. In aforementioned catalogs, from your gun/rifle maker, you will see the original type cleaning rods sold by maker of you gun/rifle when catalog was originally printed. Let me know if I can help any other way. Best, Jack

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: English double rifle & fitting accessoires? [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #212203 - 07/07/12 07:19 AM

DRJ

I was just about to post the same thing re the turn screws.

I know one gunsmith who every time he has to open up a DR,
he grinds a new head on a turn screw (or what he uses as a turn screw) before work and it stays that was until he is finished with the gun.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: English double rifle & fitting accessoires? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #212218 - 07/07/12 04:38 PM

By the way, itīs finesportingcollectablesltd.co.uk .

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Konstantin
.224 member

Re: English double rifle & fitting accessoires? [Re: Igorrock]
      #212232 - 07/07/12 11:16 PM

Hey,

thanks to you guys too, for giving me your input. I think I stay at the reseller who has some nice items in his range. Verry funny, after I have searched the net for approxiamtaley 6 to 8 weeks, I saw the same items, one sells it for US 70 and another asked for the identic items 770€ and the funniest of all, it comes from india and all take the same picturs

As far as I have everything together, I might post some picīs.

Cheers, nice weekend and happy hunting
Konstantin

Edited by Konstantin (07/07/12 11:20 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4647

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com