Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 7mm or .308? Lefty Auto, Lefty Bolt Action, or Lever?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 7mm or .308? Lefty Auto, Lefty Bolt Action, or Lever? [Re: 7mmNewbie]
      #210560 - 10/06/12 06:31 AM

The Savage in 7mm/08 or .308 will work just fine. If you want to pay more for ammo, then go .300WSM. I'd personally get a 6mm/.284 - just because.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
granhaven
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/08
Loc: Denmark
Re: 7mm or .308? Lefty Auto, Lefty Bolt Action, or Lever? [Re: 7mmNewbie]
      #210620 - 10/06/12 08:04 PM

Fellow Hunters

All of you are going off in one direction, there is no right answer to a question like that so I try to give it a different direction.

When Hunting in forest / Muntain areas it may be worth considering a combination gun, having the option to shoot birds, hare or alike together with the larger game gives you a real versatile gun for the lone Hunter. I personally prefer a 7x65R 16/70 OU combination. I remember maybe 25 years ago in Norway before I started to use combination guns, I was hunting for Red deer and had a number of insidents where Black Grouse were practically sitting on my hat, but no shotgun. The next day I carried BOTH my rifle AND my shot gun 2 1/2 Hours up mountain, but of course no Black grouse.

I am aware that it is a "European" thing to use combination guns but they are available in america and also second hand European Gebr. Merkel's are available within your budget. Combination guns are real hunting companions, not intended for extreem long range shooting or a day at the shooting Range blasting off.

The combination gun also has the option to use a brenneke type slug together with the rifled barrel as a backup when going for a wounded animal.

Best regards,

JFE
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Vic, Australia
Re: 7mm or .308? Lefty Auto, Lefty Bolt Action, or Lever? [Re: granhaven]
      #210761 - 12/06/12 03:44 PM

If its going to be your main hunting rifle, I'd go for a bolt action. In practical terms LH model rifles arent as widely available as RH models and don't come in as many calibre, stock styles or finish options. There are several well known brands you can select from that make or recently made LH models, these include:

Remington M700
Winchester M70 - no longer in production but rumoured to release a lefty in due course
Ruger 77
Savage
Tikka
Sako - releasing a LH model 85 this year

Other than these, there are discontinued brands and some higher cost options, including switch barrel rifles.

If it were me I'd try a few of these and pick the one that handled the best. You can still find LH Win M70's on the used market and pricing is fairly reasonable, unless you want one in 375H&H.

If you have 3k to spend, I probably look to spend 800-1200 for the bare rifle. And then spend the balance on a good scope and set of mounts.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 7mm or .308? Lefty Auto, Lefty Bolt Action, or Lever? [Re: JFE]
      #210801 - 13/06/12 02:11 AM

Or - buy a decent rifle and scope and all the loading equipment you need to load your own ammo. Not going that route for it's cheaper ammo, will ensure you will never shoot it enough to become really proficient with it. The guys form here, who live near you, will help you pick out what you need - or you can ask here and get a veritable flood of suggestions.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

terlingua
.224 member

Reged: 02/07/12
Loc: canada
Re: 7mm or .308? Lefty Auto, Lefty Bolt Action, or Lever? [Re: DarylS]
      #212215 - 07/07/12 01:13 PM

My solution was to buy a bunch of LH rifles see witch ones I like and sell the rest at a loss.
You should head down to the store and check out the different features of Ruger,Tikka,Browning,Savage HS Precision and Remington rifles.All make left hand models.
I prefer Ruger,Tikka and Browning,but not the Abolt.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10278

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com