Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Magazine suggestions?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Boghossian
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/04
Magazine suggestions?
      #13271 - 10/04/04 02:38 AM

Hi,
Which magazines do you guys read? I am getting disillusioned with the new copies of Petersen's Hunting which are full of advertisements for the same places (found 3 articles on preserve in Utah in last few copies) and there seems to be a caribou hunt in every damn issue! Used to be an adventure magazine too, but now it has become a handbook of strategies of how to hunt whitetailed deer with foodplots etc...
Outdoorlife: generally contains many tidbits, and maybe 2 good articles. Again, an old adventure mag that turned into a rag for those living in NE america. What happened to those tiger hunts/dall sheep that came in all old issues (ok I understand why tiger articles are scarce )
The only decent mags I can recommend to a rifle nut is Rifle magazine and whilst it isn't a 10/10 Successful hunter is also a good read.
Any recommendations?
P.S. I know that many of you still like magazines like f&s but it seems that they are geared to more informal sportsmen etc. I guess it boils down to what you want from a magazine 1) entertainment 2) instruction 3) updates in technology and the more one reads, the less material becomes relevant as you no longer feel like reading about how good a deer caliber the 30-06 is.

P.P.S. Can someone PLEASE tell me why those gunwriters always refer to a product that failed in the field as 'a particular rifle' but spend pages and pages singing the praises of rifles that do nothing more than do as expected, pretending they are extraordinary 'no feeding problems at all!! ' in a $2000 custom gun! What a surprise. TELL US WHAT FAILS!!!

End of rant, thanks for bearing with me

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: Magazine suggestions? [Re: Boghossian]
      #13279 - 10/04/04 07:23 AM

the Shooting Sportsman and Double Gun Journal are both good... I usually read American Rifleman too. Other than that, not a lot of consistency in quality.

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Magazine suggestions? [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #13284 - 10/04/04 08:20 AM

There are very few that I even bother with.

Currently, I only subscribe to two.
Sporting Classics
African Hunter

I recently let my subscription to Accurate Rifle expire, though I really enjoy SDH's articles, it seemed to be going more toward military weapons and handguns lately. Much more about Varmint and Tactical type rifles than hunting rifles. That's fine, I'm sure there's a market for that, I'm just not interested in those.

Successful Hunter and Rifle magazine are two that I look for on newsstands. I enjoy Barsness's articles and really enjoy reading Seyfried's stuff. The other two "cowboys" I could do without, but I guess they have their fans too. Until they start acting like grownups, though, I just browse the newsstands instead of subscribing.

I've been threatening to subscribe to the Single Shot Journal, anyone comment on that one?

Also was thinking about trying a different African Hunting magazine, say Magnum or Hatari Times, would appreciate any insight on those. With subscription prices of the African magazines running near or more than $50 a year, I'd rather save a lot those costs and apply it to my safari fund.

Boghossian
.275 member

Re: Magazine suggestions? [Re: DPhillips]
      #13306 - 11/04/04 04:39 AM

What a coincidence, I was about to let my ManMagnum Magazine subscription end and switch to African-Hunter.
-The paper is cheap and thin
-most pictures are in black/white as opposed to the good graphics of African Hunter
-It DOES provide a good insight on how the locals do things, but at least 1 feature article is in afrikaans in each issue, a waste of space for anyone outside of RSA.
-It gets to Brussels, Belgium (parent's home) about 3 months after it should.
-Costs about 50 bucks I believe so it isn't much of a bargain in the long run.

The African Sporting Gazette was also on my wish list as it has great articles/pictures, but comes out every three months I believe.

I agree, J Barsness is one of the best gunwriters around today. No BS, all experience and he has certainly seen a lot of animals bite the dust outside of his native Montana(also doesn't recommend you buy new rifle/scope for every 50yrd shot)....my only complaint about Rifle are the extremely narrow interest-group articles that some of the 'cowboys' write every now and then, with the literary level of a middle school english assignment.

DPhillips
.375 member

#13307 - 11/04/04 05:00 AM

Bog,
I have no complaint of African Hunter. It does arrive a bit late, but coming from Zimbabwe, I guess that's to be expected. I haven't subscribed to any other African magazines, and was just curious to see what else is out there. I like Don Heath, real "pull no punches" type of writer. He doesn't allow any pimping of manufacturers from what I can tell. It's good, plus a lot of the articles are sent in by hunters, not staff writers. I really enjoy that. Many of the folks at AR and a few here (I think) have had articles published in African Hunter.

By the way, if there is an article in any of the rags about a rifle or cartridge that I'm interested in, I try to pick up a copy. With some it is hard to wade through the BS, but there is good information in there. Considering the rifles and cartridges I'm really interested in are fairly obtuse, that is indeed a short stack!

I've never been impressed with Boddington's writing for Petersen's magazines, but do really enjoy his books. I've got more of his books than magazine articles he has written!!! Maybe its the editors at Petersen, I don't know, but his books are outstanding, at least the ones I've purchased.

Boghossian
.275 member

#13345 - 12/04/04 05:58 AM

Yes, I believe that money is better invested in a few old time safari books that gie you a historical insight as well as putting that fire in your belly to go hunting again....Rather than another lavish article on how great the gun was in killing a preserve animal at xxxyrds then, talking about the accomodation and meals for 2 pages!

DPhillips
.375 member

#13358 - 12/04/04 08:31 AM

Have you looked at James Mellon's 'African Hunter'? That book is the one that really "puts a fire in my belly". The Rourke books and Terry Wieland's "Spiral Horn Dreams" are excellent right at the top of the list as well.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
      #13397 - 13/04/04 01:11 AM

I read the Double gun Journal and Grays sporting Journal. I will say I have been to a few of the Lodges the DG Journal has ranted about and I think they do just as much "glorifying" as any other magazine.

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
      #13412 - 13/04/04 03:37 AM

I stopped subscribing to Petersens Hunting & Bowhunting several years ago. Way to much advertising, not many articles, and what is with the truck build junk that they added? Besides........they repeated articles between them so.................GONE!

The best hunting magazine on the market right now is Big Game Adventures IMHO. Lots of articles, pictures and just plain good stories from huting around the world.

Big Game Adventures Magazine

The best archery hunting magazine right now is Bowhunting . Good helpful articles and lots of good pictures. Way bettr than Petersend Bowhunting.

I also subscribe to and like a lot the Wolfe Publishing magazines:
Rifle
Handloading
Succesful Hunter

Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Re: Magazine suggestions? [Re: ChuckWagon]
      #13457 - 14/04/04 02:05 AM

In reply to:

I read the Double gun Journal and Grays sporting Journal. I will say I have been to a few of the Lodges the DG Journal has ranted about and I think they do just as much "glorifying" as any other magazine.

interesting... I've not been to any of them. they seem to have good info on the firearms, and great pictures of some really outstanding pieces.

SSM has a great review of the Win Model 42 this month, I definitely enjoyed it. And they cover a pretty wide variety of subjects...

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

Siskiyous6
.275 member

Reged: 21/11/04
Loc: Del Norte COunty, CA
      #21188 - 23/11/04 09:11 AM

Wolfe Publishing's Rifle and Handloader, plus Double Gun Journal. Peterson's is just pablum anymore. You can read Jeff Cooper online. The best stuff is here in the forums.

--------------------
Pass it on!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1562

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com