Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: crossing .72 Kodiak

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
TomN
.300 member

Reged: 07/03/10
Loc: washington
crossing .72 Kodiak
      #211853 - 02/07/12 01:13 AM

My 72 cal. is still crossing at 50 yards mabe 5 to 6 inchs I have tryed to up the powder but it is the same from 80 to 120 gr. of 2f powder. I think that it needs a heaver ball but you can't get one that is heaver in round ball. and bullets in the left barrel may move off the powder when shot. So I was woundering could one make a mold that made the midline of a round ball a little longer to ad whight and then patch it with cloth just like a ball and not have to worry about it moving under recoil just a thought they would look like a round ended football. one might be able to make one end with a little more taper to take up the patch that is left over so as to get it to load as the cloth will bunch up just past the center line of the ball.
Tom N

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: crossing .72 Kodiak [Re: TomN]
      #211861 - 02/07/12 03:46 AM

Tom- I've seen guys posting using up to 175gr. in those rifles and getting regulation. I know it's over what the mfg'r lists as maximim, but note that also the big bores produce low pressure - your 80 to 120gr. loads are really 'soft' as 12 bore loads run. My own single shot rifle in 14 bore really likes from 140gr. to 165gr. for a hunting charge.

I would not be concerned with increasing the charge to whatever is needed. Even 175gr. of 2F GOEX will not produce over 15,000LUP - generally considered around max for round ball muzzleloading guns of caplock or flint ignition.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1833

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com