Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: More heresy - scopes on doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: More heresy - scopes on doubles [Re: mickey]
      #210390 - 08/06/12 04:25 AM

Mickey,It has only been in the last 20 years or so that Zeiss has used Nitrogen in their scopes. They used to claim that their scopes were sealed so well that they would not leak or fog. Obviously an optimistic statement.

For years, I have used best Leitz (Trinovids) and Zeiss earlier binoculars that were only sealed, water resistant; not truly waterproof, but under normal field conditions, they "would not leak or fog" we were told. Well, I have found them to not leak or fog, even in Oregon rain, so have come to the conclusion that true waterproofing so common today is not needed; is only a selling gimmick, unless you were going to use them underwater, such as in skin diving.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: More heresy - scopes on doubles [Re: mickey]
      #210853 - 14/06/12 12:04 PM

I love the argument about scooping a double. “ It's an abomination that destroys the clean lines of the gun.” That is the exact argument I use to hear when I was a youngster about bolt rifles. You will still find people who will pay extra for a pre 64 Winchester that hasn’t been screwed up by drilling and taping for scope mounts.
I think it would be Stupid (sorry I cant think of a nice way to put it tonight) not to take advantage of every advantage we can. I like the illuminated recital, as it stands out on an animal in low light situations. You can’t hit what you can’t see. You can always take the scope off if you are going into thick stuff where you will be up close and personal.
By the way I think a perfect setup is to have 2 scopes for your double one 13/4-6 for the up close dangerous stuff and something around a 4-12 for plains game or prairie dogs
Bill

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: More heresy - scopes on doubles [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #211074 - 18/06/12 03:45 PM

Why not consider a red dot sight. They make them in a one power configuration and some of the red dots come with a screw-in two power magnifier.

I have my double set up with a Leupold 1.5-5 scope on QD rings. I want to get a red dot on a QD so I can swap it out with the scope, if need be. One for close in work and the other for longer ranges.

Seems to be the best of both worlds

Regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: More heresy - scopes on doubles [Re: NitroX]
      #211084 - 18/06/12 05:50 PM

Nitro,
There is an old S&B 1.25-15 scope on used guns that would be great for a 9.3 of 450/400 double.
I just purchased an old S&B 4x36 with German posts which will likely get used on an U/O 9.3.

209jones
.224 member

Reged: 29/05/11
Loc: Calgary AB
Re: More heresy - scopes on doubles [Re: ozhunter]
      #211399 - 23/06/12 03:19 PM

While I understand the POV of those who think it doesn't look right to put a scope on a SXS, it doesn't seem out of place to me on an O/U.
I have a Krieghoff Classic in 30R Blaser coming, I had a long question period with myself as to whether it was worth doing or not. It's not a cheap add on like on a bolt gun.
But, being as I will be using mine 98% here in Alberta,and I want to see a little better, I will try a scope on my SXS. I will try the irons first. But I may have to go with a 1-4x24 Swaro which I already have here. Depends somewhat on the situation of my vision with irons, and how that gun tends to shoot. The eyeballs are just not what they were.
It will be set up for scope,it will be coming with 30mm and 1 " rings and Recknagel swing off mounts.
And it is supposed to be set up with the regulation for the scope to 100 yds.
It'l be a pig or a sweetie. Find out in about 3 months or so.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: More heresy - scopes on doubles [Re: NitroX]
      #211412 - 23/06/12 08:26 PM

John,
I will be interested to hear how you like (or dislike) the little 2.5 Leupold when you get it.
I've had one on my 400-350 NE double for about ten years or so. It works very well, and I find the reticle stands out pretty well in low light, even against a dark background as in a black boar pig or similar.
There are times when a variable would be better.
1-4 Leupold or 1.5-5 work pretty well on doubles in a variety of hunting situations IMO.
The 2.5 is lighter and smaller than those however, and maintains a better balance and feel I reckon.

hoosier
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/11
Loc: Indiana,USA
Re: More heresy - scopes on doubles [Re: 4seventy]
      #211422 - 24/06/12 12:21 AM

For those that get "out of joint" over scopes on side by sides consider this:
I have vision problems and can barely see the rear sight and the front is a faint blurr.
If it were not for a scope I could not shoot at all-what would you do? The choice is obvious
if you wish to continue shooting / hunting. The challenge with mine is hammer clearance- ordered
a set of hammers and reshaped them to suit and works quite well.Best of all I can still shoot!
As far as scopes go I use a scope that has not been mentioned in this discussion, Weaver makes a
1 x 3x 20mm that I use on mine. Leave it on 1x for hunting and 2x or 3x for target. I don't know
about availability outside the U.S. though.Mine holds up quite well and is all the scope I need.
Cheers

--------------------
BigMike

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #211423 - 24/06/12 12:26 AM

Bill:
Im sorry but your argument that it would be "stupid" not to take advantage of all of the bells an whistles (my words) is really no different than a bowhunter that wishes to use a traditional Longbow rather than the new wheeled contraptions. Some folks like the added challange and the less tech. ways! Its different strokes for different folks, doesn't make them stupid.
Bob

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #211424 - 24/06/12 01:14 AM

Quote:

John,
I will be interested to hear how you like (or dislike) the little 2.5 Leupold when you get it.
I've had one on my 400-350 NE double for about ten years or so. It works very well, and I find the reticle stands out pretty well in low light, even against a dark background as in a black boar pig or similar.
There are times when a variable would be better.
1-4 Leupold or 1.5-5 work pretty well on doubles in a variety of hunting situations IMO.
The 2.5 is lighter and smaller than those however, and maintains a better balance and feel I reckon.

It will be a little while as it is a reticle special order. So not out of Aussie stock.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26284

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com