Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: water buffalo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
texan72
.275 member

Reged: 06/06/12
Loc: Republic Of Texas
water buffalo
      #211197 - 20/06/12 01:05 PM

Hi all, wanted to ask you buffalo hunters what would be the smallest caliber you would
shoot a buff with. I am hunting asian water buffalo here in Texas, not in a game fence
just a small herd in a low fence and they are faily waspy(aka Texan for aggressive)
just wanted to ask someone who has taken a few. The largest rifle I have at the moment is a
444 Marlin. Thanks in advance
RMJ

--------------------
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com[/

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: water buffalo [Re: texan72]
      #211200 - 20/06/12 01:34 PM

I've killed three smaller ones with the 6.5x55mm; my Dad killed a big bull with a heart shot from a .22-250, but we sure don't recommend it and have learned a lot since those early buffalo hunts; I've killed one with the .30/30 and the .300H&H, and don't recommend those either (although using the Hydro projectile would be an improvement out of the latter); mostly I use and recommend the big bores - .450/400 3" NE, .416 Rigby, .458WM and .500NE. Many locals use smaller calibres and swear by them, but they are more shooters than hunters, and don't tell about the ones that got away wounded.

Ben
.400 member

Re: water buffalo [Re: Ben]
      #211202 - 20/06/12 01:54 PM

I forgot the one I shot with a .308, as well as two with a .375H&H. And a couple of tricky ones that were already hit hard by other hunters that I finished, under trying circumstances, with the .30/30 and another .308.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #211204 - 20/06/12 02:26 PM

I personally wouldn't go less than .308 but a mate of mine head shoots "quiet" Buffalo that we are culling.

He is a damn good shot, knows where to shoot them and is quick - as in shot the mother and two calves in a few seconds although once you shoot mum, the calves tend to hang around.

So I would say 270 / 6.5 head shot with a good bullet
- behind the ear is the best as a high front on shot will go into an air cavity / hollow.

Maybe a slightly bigger cal for the bigger animals if there are any.

Re the "behind the ear" head / brain shot, make sure if you are close to allow for the scope above the bore otherwise the bullet will hit the base of
the horns and not go in behind the ear !!! I know, I did it with a 9.3 and the horn stopped the bullet dead in it's tracks, making for one shaking head, very pissed off bull that luckily couldn't run / charge as it already had two broken shoulders / legs !!!

Finally, stay away from the jaw - the jaw bone on a Water Buffalo can / will stop any bullet dead in it's tracks and the teeth mess bullets up as well, both not factors you want when trying to get to the brain if you screw up a front on shot.

Hence the behind the ear shot.

Anyway, have fun and good luck.

Edited by 500Nitro (20/06/12 08:55 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #211223 - 20/06/12 08:21 PM

I have not hunted or shot WaterBuff but have read of many being taken with the 45-70. No idea what projectiles were used.

I would certainly head the advice from Ben and 500Nitro.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: water buffalo [Re: Rule303]
      #211224 - 20/06/12 08:57 PM

How close can you get to them ?

By Aggressive, do you mean they tend to charge you without being shot at or once shot, don't back down ?

Also, are you going for big bulls or just any ?

texan72
.275 member

Re: water buffalo [Re: 500Nitro]
      #211232 - 21/06/12 12:28 AM

thank you all for the info, I think I can get with in 50-70 yrds of the group
they are all old bulls youngest being 11yrs old the oldest being around 16 yrs old
heres a pic of the one I think I am going after hes the second oldest at 14 yrs old

and far as how aggressive when you get out on the ground they take notice.....lol
will be a interesting hunt for sure. Thanks again
regards RMJ

--------------------

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Edited by 505texan (21/06/12 04:21 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #211248 - 21/06/12 05:18 AM

A friend of mine heart shot two big water buffalo bulls with his "new"-vintage Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54. Used a Barnes X in 140 gr I believe.

He knew exactly where to place the bullet on the broadside animals at fairly close range.

With the first bull he was urged to shoot it again a second time and the bull ran but fell dead some distance away.

With the second bull he ignored the panicky demands for a second shot, the bull walked as if not shot at all and dropped dead after a few steps.

Medium calibre rifles will no doubt kill buffalo, but are not adequate for the small number of cases when a bull gets toeey ie no knockdown power. Same for if the bull runs away with a less than spot on shot.

All of the buffalo I have shot have been shot with my 9.3 or .450.

A .444 Marlin with the right bullets would probably work similar to a .45/70 with the right bullets. Not deer/soft bullets.

A .30-06/.300 etc with heavy bullets eg 200 - 220 gr - would probably work OK. A .338 would be better with a 250 gr bullet or heavier.

Using sub-standard/medium calibres can kill anything on Earth but the placement becomes more important, and the willingness to forgo shots etc.

As Ben says, many Aussies claim medium calibres are all that is needed. But they often forget to tell that they are shooting from a vehicle. Or if an animal runs away, their attitude of "WGAF" is also relevant and needs to be taken into account. The professional outfitters almost all recommend a .375 or similar as a minimum.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: water buffalo [Re: NitroX]
      #211249 - 21/06/12 05:21 AM

PS One of the popular cartridges for cape buffalo in the "old days" used to be the .318 Westley Richards with 250 gr projectiles. Basically the original .338/06 with a .330 calibre.

Since then the .375 has become the minimum in most countries in more recent times.

What will kill cape buff will kill water buffalo of course, but a wb is a bigger animal perhaps a bit harder to put down.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: water buffalo [Re: NitroX]
      #211256 - 21/06/12 06:18 AM

Thanks for the photo. Slightly different / smaller than hours but obviously has some muscle.

Not sure how thick the hide is on those (on ours up to an inch thick) in case of follow up shots.

Anyway, I think you have enough info to make a decision.

Good luck and good hunting.

Ben
.400 member

Re: water buffalo [Re: 500Nitro]
      #211259 - 21/06/12 07:13 AM

Isn't that the Riveren buffalo of mozzarella fame?

Yep, I reckon it's wise to shoot a rifle that can handle it when things go wrong, not one where everything has to go perfectly right. That's what I've learned, anyway.

texan72
.275 member

#211263 - 21/06/12 08:35 AM

Thanks to all for the great advice, really looking forward to this hunt, it not till Sept when it cools off here. I will update y'all when hes on the ground thanks again and happy Hunting,
regards RMJ

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3287

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com