Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Lee Speed and other animals.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Honey_badger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: UK
My Lee Speed and other animals.
      #210939 - 16/06/12 02:49 AM

Hi guys,

I haven't posted on NE for ages but I thought I'd show you what I've got, in the hope that you experts can tell me a little more about them.

Firstly, this is my Lee Speed:

Its a No 2 Pattern (I think), without the barrel top rib. It has the 'For Cordite Only' stamp above the breech. The bolt dust cover is marked 'York House, 15 Regent Street, London' which was the address of the Junior Army & Navy Store, who I assume sold it from new. There appears to be a name engraved on the butt trap cover, but there is some wear so its not entirely clear. It appears to say 'COL. C. AVATE'. The serial number is E644. Can anyone suggest when this might have been made?

Edited by Honey_badger (16/06/12 02:57 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Honey_badger
.275 member

Re: My Lee Speed and other animals. [Re: Honey_badger]
      #210940 - 16/06/12 02:51 AM

This is my working rifle. Its a BSA Majestic Featherweight De-Luxe in .308. I gather this would date from the late 1950s or early to mid 1960s.

Edited by Honey_badger (16/06/12 02:58 AM)

Honey_badger
.275 member

#210941 - 16/06/12 02:54 AM

This is a Parker Hale Safari De-Luxe in .375 H&H. I was under the impression that this would date from the 1970s but have recently been told its more likely to be from the 50s or 60s. Anyone able to enlighten me? Also, its built on a magnum Mauser action. Does anyone know where Parker Hale would have sourced their actions from?

Edited by Honey_badger (16/06/12 02:56 AM)

MikeRowe
.333 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Arkansas, USA
      #210969 - 16/06/12 12:51 PM

That's a nice Lee Speed you have there, Honey Badger. How long is the barrel?

Dad bought a Majestic Featherweight .30-06 in 1958 and put a Supranickel scope on it. Quite a setup for a poor farmboy back then. But it did account for several hundred deer. There were a lot in NZ back then. I shot it quite a bit in my late teens, until the M2 ammo primers finally got to it in spite of religious cleaning (that's all that ever went down the barrel, he bought 2K of them when he got the rifle for a quid a hundred). He used to drill the points with a 1/16" drill bit in a little jig for hunting, although he said he never could tell the difference in performance from the FMJ's.

The muzzle brake wasn't bad if you were the shooter, one just didn't want to be off to the side just a little.

Sure was a nice light rig to carry though.

Edited by MikeRowe (17/06/12 03:30 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: My Lee Speed and other animals. [Re: MikeRowe]
      #210970 - 16/06/12 01:28 PM

Quote:

That's a nice Lee Speed you have there, Honey Badger. How long is the barrel?

My thoughts exactly.
What is it? About 21"? Looks very handy.

I really like Lee Speeds.
Just to give you an idea, at a recent show, I had just about everything I own out on offer. from my Gibbs and Jeffery Farqs, to doubles, to express bolt action Mausers, but my Lee Speed stayed at home in the safe...yes, IMO, they are that good. No bolt gun I own shoots as consistently and as comfortably as my 303 Lee Speed. Just a sweet rifle.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: My Lee Speed and other animals. [Re: Huvius]
      #210972 - 16/06/12 01:58 PM

Nice little Lee speed. they are a handy and useful today as a century ago.

I believe Parker Hale used Santa Barbara Spanish actions

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

paradox_
.375 member

Reged: 12/05/07
Loc: Australia
Re: My Lee Speed and other animals. [Re: 458Win]
      #210973 - 16/06/12 03:05 PM

Honey badger

Re: the PH 375. Hard to see any detail from the pictures, but what makes you think its a Magnum length action??

Best
Eric

--------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #211016 - 17/06/12 01:35 PM

Great looking rifles the Lee Speed.

Your PH 375 I would think is pre 70's. A mate had several PH made in the 70's and they did not have the standard Mauser bolt. Non were in 375 though.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #211020 - 17/06/12 04:36 PM

Now that is a great looking Speedier you have there, looks like a Carbine barrel, most of the barrels are a bit too long, your's looks nice !

On the BSA, I have had a few of those & that muzzle break, BESA I think it is called is Hell on the ears, you should also throw those PH mounts away if you really do hunt with it, they are rubbish, even in the pic the front one has come off !

Nice rifles, Thank you for the pic's, I think we would enjoy some more of the Lee Speed if you get time ?

joelblack
.275 member

Reged: 05/06/12
Loc: WI, USA
Re: My Lee Speed and other animals. [Re: Sarg]
      #211047 - 18/06/12 05:08 AM

I checked the 1900 UK who's who, but could not find an Avate listed. Sadly, unlike the Army & Navy CSL, no records exist for the Junior version.

Honey_badger
.275 member

Re: My Lee Speed and other animals. [Re: joelblack]
      #211050 - 18/06/12 06:13 AM

Thanks for your responses guys.

Sarg, you're right about the crappy PH scope mounts on the BSA. They are going to be replaced soon. I went to Bisley yesterday and with the current set up I couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Joel, thanks for looking in Who's Who. That never occurred to me. The name could possibly be Avaye as some of the lettering is worn away. I put 50 rounds through the Lee Speed yesterday and as Huvius says, its just a sweet little rifle. I'll post some more pics later in the week.

Edited by Honey_badger (18/06/12 04:32 PM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #211070 - 18/06/12 02:06 PM

Very nice Lee Speed!

More photos please...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Honey_badger
.275 member

Re: My Lee Speed and other animals. [Re: tinker]
      #211078 - 18/06/12 05:15 PM

I've become fascinated with the Lee Speed's history and would love to find about the original owner. A little bit of internet research reveals that Avate is an Indian name. However, I've found instances of people with the same name who clearly aren't of Indian descent. If the 'Col.' is an abbreviation for colonel, its unlikely that he was Indian as there were few, if any, Indian officers of such rank at the time the rifle was most likely to have been made. The fact that it was supplied by the Junior Army & Navy Stores in London would support this. But then why would a colonel buy goods from the Junior store? I suppose he could have been a member from when he was a junior officer.

Honey_badger
.275 member

#211081 - 18/06/12 05:30 PM

Just to add that I've found a few British officers with the name C'Avaye. I wonder if our man could be one of those, rather than C. Avate?

Honey_badger
.275 member

#211083 - 18/06/12 05:40 PM

Just found this on a website about the Zulu war.

"Maj.-Gen. William Frederick Cavaye was born on 15th February 1845 at Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. He was the son of General William Cavaye and Isabella Hutchinson. He married Ada Mary Barttelot, daughter of Sir Walter Barttelot, 1st Bt. and Harriet Musgrave, in December 1882 at Petworth, Sussex, England. He died on 30th January 1926 at age 80 at 6 Neville Terrace, Kensington, London, England.

Maj.-Gen. William Frederick Cavaye was educated in 1857 at Edinburgh Academy, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, Public School. He was commissioned in 1861 with the rank of Ensign 107th, in the service of the Regiment of Foot. He fought in the Anglo-Zulu War in 1879. He fought in the Boer War between 1899 and 1902, where he was mentioned in despatches. He was Served as Councillor in 1906 at Kensington Borough Council, Kensington, London, England. He held the office of Mayor of Kensington between 1907 and 1909.2 He fought in the First World War between 1917 and 1919, with the British Expeditionary Force in France. He gained the rank of Major-General in the service of the Royal Sussex Regiment. He lived at Birchenbridge, Horsham, Sussex, England."

There's no guarantee that its the right man but its very tempting to think so. The dates would certainly match.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #211149 - 19/06/12 01:04 PM

Quote:

This is a Parker Hale Safari De-Luxe in .375 H&H. I was under the impression that this would date from the 1970s but have recently been told its more likely to be from the 50s or 60s. Anyone able to enlighten me? Also, its built on a magnum Mauser action. Does anyone know where Parker Hale would have sourced their actions from?

Regarding the '98 actioned Parker Hale rifles, military actions were used untill 1965. These will have the thumbslot in the left rail.
From 1966 onward they used the Santa Barbara commercial action. These do not have the thumbslot.

Regarding the vintage of your .375 H&H , a photo of the proof marks and barrel stampings could reveal a lot.

Parker Hale advertising (that I have on hand) from the mid 60's does not mention the .375 H&H as being avalable.
The .308 Norma Mag was their most powerfull offering at that time.
I'm not sure when the .375 H&H was first offered in the Parker Hale rifles.

I would love to see some photos of the proofs on both the barrel and receiver.

Thanks.

Edited by 4seventy (19/06/12 05:44 PM)

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/06
Re: My Lee Speed and other animals. [Re: 4seventy]
      #227520 - 26/03/13 12:41 AM

No. 68 Parker Hale catalogue for 1968 has .375 H & H rifles in it, so certainly available no later than that.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11450

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com